Model Cars Magazine Forum

Otaki 1/12 Lamborghini Countach Twin Turbo...Mission Statement

Dann Tier

18 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Wow. I've been blown away by all of your builds. This will be more of the same!

Picture a twin turbo Countach. The standard car wasn't exactly known for being reliable. Imagine what adding turbos would do. Maybe you should scratchbuild a tow truck to go with it!

:)

LOL, thanks, Dan!!….back then Lamborghini's thing wasn't reliability, it was speed, and the shock-factor!!...what I should do is make it look like the engine caught on fire!, their fuel lines weren't the best...lol

8 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

You've got that right. I see a Huracan or a Gallardo, or even an Aventador, and I notice it but I'm not crazy about it. I see a Countach, and I stop in my tracks and stare, just transfixed!

Same here!, I actually cant stand the Hurricane, r the Gallardo......they are generic , ugly, and the noses are too freaking pointy......looks like an elephant sat on their bonnets. I do happen to think that the Aventador is the last Beautiful car they made, that has the right soul.

7 hours ago, Ich_Will said:

Jeez Dann, you are outta control. Keep up the great and inspiring builds. 

Thanks, William!!, I will, its not as bad as I thought doing seven builds at the same time....just have to find a good system of rotation!!

13 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Thanks, William!!, I will, its not as bad as I thought doing seven builds at the same time....just have to find a good system of rotation!!

I've got one near completion now and I'm starting 4 or 5 more... I bought some covered storage containers to try to keep the partial builds in, rather than just the boxes. Wish me luck

10 hours ago, Ich_Will said:

I've got one near completion now and I'm starting 4 or 5 more... I bought some covered storage containers to try to keep the partial builds in, rather than just the boxes. Wish me luck

That's cool!!….you got it, bud!!….just find your groove!!

Heres a little progress update;

-Photo 1; The making of the cigarette lighter...

-Photo 2; here i'm making the climate control knobs, I just need to sand them a little shorter.

-Photo 3; Everything in its proper spots, the two bottom rings, are indicator light bezels.

-Photo 4; here I've made the proper foot rail...

DSCF6274.JPG

DSCF6275.JPG

DSCF6276.JPG

DSCF6278.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, dino246gt said:

Wow, your's is WAY more detailed and correct than mine! In fact, I think you must be crazy!!! HA HA, in a good way of course! I am in awe of your attention to detail!

Thanks again, Dennis, but in modeling there isn't really a correct way......if we cant build how we want, whats the point?, I hope you start working on yours again, i'd love to follow it!!

12 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Uh, did I miss you finishing the Pagani? :P  Love this subject, I have several 1/24 kits, and the Fujimi 1/16 that would need such attention.  You also adding a fire extinguisher system?

Hey, Kurt!, no you didn't miss the Pagani being finished, all I have left to do is paint the body, but to save time and klean up, I have 5 other models that will have all their interior parts ready for primer within the week, so I was gonna do them all at once. Heres the Pagani ready to go.....

P.S., I love that fire extinguisher joke!!..lol, sadly ALOT of Lambos needed them, and how about all those guys who make fire shoot out of their exhaust pipes, and it catches the freaking car on fire!!…….flaming idiots.

DSCF6303.JPG

3 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Hey, Kurt!, no you didn't miss the Pagani being finished, all I have left to do is paint the body, but to save time and klean up, I have 5 other models that will have all their interior parts ready for primer within the week, so I was gonna do them all at once. Heres the Pagani ready to go.....

P.S., I love that fire extinguisher joke!!..lol, sadly ALOT of Lambos needed them, and how about all those guys who make fire shoot out of their exhaust pipes, and it catches the freaking car on fire!!…….flaming idiots.

Very nice, you are very organized which helps too.

I put a flamethrower spark plug on the Honda Civic I did last year.  I also put cigarette foil on some of the bumper for heat reflector.  I also read recently the Muira was notorious, so owners install Halon systems.  Any bets Teslas will also have this feature?

7 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Very nice, you are very organized which helps too.

I put a flamethrower spark plug on the Honda Civic I did last year.  I also put cigarette foil on some of the bumper for heat reflector.  I also read recently the Muira was notorious, so owners install Halon systems.  Any bets Teslas will also have this feature?

Thanks, Kurt!, those are sweet "little" details that really catch the eye more than one would expect!!,  and yes, as awesome a car as the Miura is, they were notorious for catching fire!...they would blow fuel lines, and spray petrol all over the engine bay!......NOT GOOD!! 

In my opinion, Tesla should have a Halon system, but also,...…..and i'm gonna get my head bitten-off for this, should STOP trying to make self-driving cars!!   Me personally, I want the MOST contact with controlling anything I use!  There are too many unsuspected senarios in life, to hand that kind of control over...…..screw that noise!!

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

Thanks, Kurt!, those are sweet "little" details that really catch the eye more than one would expect!!,  and yes, as awesome a car as the Miura is, they were notorious for catching fire!...they would blow fuel lines, and spray petrol all over the engine bay!......NOT GOOD!! 

In my opinion, Tesla should have a Halon system, but also,...…..and i'm gonna get my head bitten-off for this, should STOP trying to make self-driving cars!!   Me personally, I want the MOST contact with controlling anything I use!  There are too many unsuspected senarios in life, to hand that kind of control over...…..screw that noise!!

So true Dann.

I've build one  of these kits decades ago.  Its photo was published in the Scale Auto Enthusiast 1993 Gallery (and to my surprise made the cover too).  Few years later I actually made a swap with one of my model club's buddies:  I gave him my built model and he gave me a complete unbuilt kit. My plan was/is to build this kit one more time.  My building techniques have improved over the last few decades, so this build should be even better. Reference photos always help, and your photos (both the model and the 1:1 car) will be great reference for when I decide to build mine.

Thanks!

Edited by peteski

6 hours ago, peteski said:

I've build one  of these kits decades ago.  Its photo was published in the Scale Auto Enthusiast 1993 Gallery (and to my surprise made the cover too).  Few years later I actually made a swap with one of my model club's buddies:  I gave him my built model and he gave me a complete unbuilt kit. My plan was/is to build this kit one more time.  My building techniques have improved over the last few decades, so this build should be even better. Reference photos always help, and your photos (both the model and the 1:1 car) will be great reference for when I decide to build mine.

Thanks!

Its all good, Peter!...I love helping out!!, do you have any photos of yours?...hope to see you building yours soon!!

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

Its all good, Peter!...I love helping out!!, do you have any photos of yours?...hope to see you building yours soon!!

This was before digital cameras. I do have some photos/negatives. I snapped some photos on a 35mm film with my trusty Nikon FG SLR camera. I send few to Scale Auto Magazine and those got published, but I have others.  I would have to see if I can dig them out and scan them.  The model was built with no aftermarket parts (they weren't available back then).

10 hours ago, peteski said:

This was before digital cameras. I do have some photos/negatives. I snapped some photos on a 35mm film with my trusty Nikon FG SLR camera. I send few to Scale Auto Magazine and those got published, but I have others.  I would have to see if I can dig them out and scan them.  The model was built with no aftermarket parts (they weren't available back then).

Cool!!, I remember those days of no PE, or aftermarket parts!

31 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Cool!!, I remember those days of no PE, or aftermarket parts!

Well, there were some photoetched parts available, but not many, and nothing for this specific model.  Plus, I was still a beginner when it came to building models.

At the time what I thought was really cool was the fact that this model seemed super-detailed when compared to other models.  It came with working suspension, spark plug wires, and even illuminated lights!  I mail-ordered it from Model Expo (I was getting their catalog in the mail).  They also ran full-page magazine ads (in FineScale Modeler Magazine) and one of those was specifically about this model and how close it was to the real thing. It enticed me to buy the kit, even though it was quite pricey to me.

The unbuilt model I swapped for, which I own now, is the Testors reboxing of the OTAKI model.  It features a black car (the OTAKI box had a red car on the box).

• Dann Tier changed the title to Otaki 1/12 Lamborghini Countach Twin Turbo...Mission Statement