Model Cars Magazine Forum

Toyota Fj Cruiser , New From Fujimi

Blurb in the bottom right says Winter of 2018 release, so that'd be December.  Although Fujimi hasn't exactly been speedy on the turn around on these "Next " Kits. They're molded in color, not pre-painted and come with a large sheet of mylar press and stick stuff for things like window trim and interior trim. Considering the FJ lived on in Japan until the 2017 model year, if expect this to be a strictly JDM RHD offering. 

There have been 4 Next Kits so far, 2 off old tooling and 2 new tools (this would make the 5th kit). A "current model" Fiat 500, their SnapTite R34 GT-R, the new Toyota Vellfire/Alphard van, and the new Suzuki Hustler/Mazda Flair Kei CUV. All of them eventually got packaged with a small sheet of water slides for emblems, gauges, and markings, so more experienced builders could build them out without being forced to use the stickers. 

Edited by niteowl7710

Here's an example of how the mylar and decals are being done in the "Next" Series of kits.  These are effectively SnapTite kits that don't need paint or glue - and they take that to the edge by including things like the window trim, interior "wood" trim, etc on the sticker sheets.  But then also include a small water slide sheet for the more experienced modeler who wants no part of a press n stick nightmare.  Some of the scripting is in two colors on the mylar sheet because they're releasing this same kit molded in black next month.  These are for the new Alphard van released this morning, but they're representative of the series as a whole.

10538670n5.jpg.0ba6a7c17c1cf9549daa85cf1863c903.jpg

Edited by niteowl7710

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/5/2018 at 7:38 PM, oldcarfan said:

I never warmed up to the 1:1 FJ so I won't be getting this, but if they decide to do an FJ40 I would be getting that.

The thing I didn't like about the 1:1 was that huge blank spot of a C-pillar.  It just ruins the entire truck's design.

I will probably get one of these kits though!  

20 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

The thing I didn't like about the 1:1 was that huge blank spot of a C-pillar.  It just ruins the entire truck's design.

That and also, the design of the windshield header made it nearly impossible to see stop lights and overhead signs.  Outward visibility is a key consideration in an off-road type 4x4 vehicles. 

The contemporary FJ was a cool idea and a really creative design theme, but the execution had some issues which greatly limited the ultimate success of the vehicle in the marketplace. 

Nevertheless, and not too surprisingly, I hear that good used samples these days are considered borderline collectables and demand high prices accordingly.  TIM 

9 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

That and also, the design of the windshield header made it nearly impossible to see stop lights and overhead signs.  Outward visibility is a key consideration in an off-road type 4x4 vehicles. 

The contemporary FJ was a cool idea and a really creative design theme, but the execution had some issues which greatly limited the ultimate success of the vehicle in the marketplace. 

Nevertheless, and not too surprisingly, I hear that good used samples these days are considered borderline collectables and demand high prices accordingly.  TIM 

Yes, if you are taller signs that are hung too high will be an issue. We call it the FJ lean. You have to lean your head to the side to see them. But it gives you a reason to give the woman a peck on the cheek, so it's no big deal. ;)

Resale values set records during and after production. The vehicle that held the highest resale value of any mass produced vehicle to date is the FJ C.  For the first 5 years they retained 85-90% of their value. Unheard of for any other non-exotic vehicle. At ten years (first model year was 2007) they still carry 60-70% of their value for trucks in good shape.  And now they are starting to actually gain value in some areas.

With only 47,000 on mine with perfect maintenance records and no wrecks the dealer is constantly bugging me to trade it in on a new 4Runner TRD Pro that I'm eyeing up.  4Runners hold value tremendously, but not like the FJs have been.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/10/31/toyota-fj-cruiser 

59 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

And what is the first thing you think of when a Toyota pulls up next to you with a big TRD logo?  :P

That it has the upgraded Toyota Racing Development shocks, intake, front lift, cat back exhaust system and diff locker.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:18 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Exactly, it's like they looked at the classic FJ 40 and thought, "People really like this thing, it still looks good and the style is perfect." Then some guy said, "Nah, let's screw it up instead!"