Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best 60s Ford Mustang Kit?

We could use more details of exactly what you want to do. 

In the meantime, if 1/24 will work for you, and you're talking about a '65-'66, the Monogram/Revell family is probably the "best." These have appeared in numerous iterations including various Shelbys and the pace car convertible. (Did they ever do a straight hardtop? I don't think so but I don't remember.)

If you must have 1/25, the AMT is the only game in town. It's lacking in mechanical detail, but the body and related body parts are actually pretty nice--better IMHO than a couple of highly regarded recent Revell offerings. 

If you can move up to '67-'68, a couple more options become available. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

if 1/24 will work for you, and you're talking about a '65-'66, the Monogram/Revell family is probably the "best." These have appeared in numerous iterations including various Shelbys and the pace car convertible. (Did they ever do a straight hardtop? I don't think so but I don't remember.)

The Missing link, Notchback / Hardtop :wacko:

1/24 vs 1/25 is not an issue to me at all, and what I'm calling an abomination is these kits from offset molds that require endless trimming and shaping.  I suppose I should be happy they're still available, but compared to Tamiya, Gunze, and Revell Germany my descriptor seems appropriate.

You're right; I need to be more specific about year.  Here's what I've got in mind: 1963 Ford Mustang III.  My reproduction won't be 100% faithful to that particular one-of-one car, but I like the idea of a short wheelbase Mustang.  

and as for this 1963 ? pilot Mustang, seems like a lot of wishful thinking (ne, dreaming) on the current owners part. Looks like a hack custom to me regardless of the Hemmings article which I since isn't speaking of the car pictured at all, Just my jaded 71 year old opinion.

Yeah,  I'm the guy walking past the Ford show room,1965, looking at the original Shelby Mustangs saying to my friends, " I'd rather have a Corvette.":P

626601-870-0.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

34 minutes ago, Harpo said:

Here's what I've got in mind: 1963 Ford Mustang III.  My reproduction won't be 100% faithful to that particular one-of-one car, but I like the idea of a short wheelbase Mustang.  

Ah, some useful information we can work with! B)Either the Revellogram 1/24-1/25 family or the AMT '66 coupe will work fine for you, since you're going to be scratchbuilding most of the top anyway. If it MUST have the '65 type grille, you'll have to track down one of the Revellogram '64 or '65 non-Shelby kits, as the grille in the AMT is a '66. Refer to my earlier comments about the chassis/mechanicals detailing on the AMT '66. The body's quite nice; the chassis not so much. But that might not be important to you (it's not to me, but it is to some). 

Good luck with this project, and do keep us posted--it sounds cool and fun!B)

8 hours ago, Harpo said:

1/24 vs 1/25 is not an issue to me at all, and what I'm calling an abomination is these kits from offset molds that require endless trimming and shaping.  I suppose I should be happy they're still available, but compared to Tamiya, Gunze, and Revell Germany my descriptor seems appropriate.

You're right; I need to be more specific about year.  Here's what I've got in mind: 1963 Ford Mustang III.  My reproduction won't be 100% faithful to that particular one-of-one car, but I like the idea of a short wheelbase Mustang.  

Lindberg did the 63 Mustang II

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzmustang 2.jpg

Edited by dshue76

20 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

:(Just got one for my 71 birthday, looks fine to me, Certainly one up from the ubiquitous AMT '65 promo chassis same ol, same ol.:blink: 

amt-1966-ford-mustang-hardtop.jpg

Except of course, that it has an opening hood, and an engine (albeit from typical 60's AMT 3in1 tradition), but the body along with the chrome and interior is actually very well scaled down.

Art

7 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

He's talking about the "Mustang III," a completely different car. Click his link to see what he's talking about. 

Actually, that is the 1960's rendition of the 1963 Mustang II Concept Car from Ford that was designed, tooled and originally issued by Industro-Motive Corporation (IMC).  It's a bit fiddly due to parts count, but does build up pretty darned well.

Art

44 minutes ago, Art Anderson said:

Actually, that is the 1960's rendition of the 1963 Mustang II Concept Car from Ford that was designed, tooled and originally issued by Industro-Motive Corporation (IMC).  It's a bit fiddly due to parts count, but does build up pretty darned well.

Art

Aw shucks, if you really want a Mustang II just mortgage the farm and order a 1/24 one already built from Automodello, it is only $349.95.   Also available in white.

24F041-2T.jpg.8a1b1d333f5dffc959f7af2b8a482a74.jpg

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

He's talking about the "Mustang III," a completely different car. Click his link to see what he's talking about. 

Yep. I caught that. And he didn't seem to be wanting to reproduce the referenced car in 100% perfect accuracy either.  My reference is to a kit, IMC/Lindberg "Mustang II", that covers an actual pre-production concept car in kit form. If it's not the style he wants then so be it, I just thought it would be nice to show the design concept idea stage ("Mustang II") compared with the pre-production custom (Mustang III) which was built from a finalized production design.

34 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Here is original AMT body.

IMG_2711.JPG

It seems to have the chrome rocker trim, which would make it the '65 body, which became the '66, which became the AWB funny car which is still around. 

Looks like someone built or rebuilt this one sometime from the mid/late'70s on, judging from the decals from the AMT '72 Nova. Side scoops from the '68 Shelby kit, or somewhere else? 

Unless I'm mistaken, the Mustang III is the only short wheelbase version (90" vs 108" stock), and this two-seater is the concept I plan on using.  

And I actually prefer the 1968 body style, with concave taillights.  Can anyone suggest an appropriate high quality kit to start with?

58 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

It seems to have the chrome rocker trim, which would make it the '65 body, which became the '66, which became the AWB funny car which is still around. 

Looks like someone built or rebuilt this one sometime from the mid/late'70s on, judging from the decals from the AMT '72 Nova. Side scoops from the '68 Shelby kit, or somewhere else? 

I bought it as is on Saturday so you are probably right- added on scoops ut how dare they use Chevy decals?  It came with the box and instructions and still had some of the unique custom parts on the trees so I figured it was worth the $30 investment.  I plan to make a stock 65 fastback using a few parts from the 66 coupe.

IMG_2716.JPG