Model Cars Magazine Forum

Welly '55 Mercedes 300SL Gullwing--Rite Aid Rescue

Snake45

This must be some sort of record for me. Last Monday morning I didn't even know this model existed, much less that I wanted/needed one. By Thursday I had it Snake-Fu'ed and standing tall on my mantle. 

$9.99 at Rite Aid, and it was in such good shape I didn't even bother to take my customary pre-Snake-Fu pics. All I did to it was sand the tire treads, hit the wheel slots with a black gel pen, do a little Silver Sharpie touchup on the window trim where it didn't quite come down to the glass, blackened the exhaust pipe, painted the chromed muffler flat steel to tone it down, and hit the back of the headlight stems with white paint to kill the creepy "bug eyed" look so common to diecasts (and some kits). Didn't even have to take it apart to whiten the stems, either; I was able to get to them through the front tire openings. 

Took a little google-imaging, but I found a real car that looks exactly like this one. I usually think of these in silver, but I did find a red one. Actually found two red ones, but the other had chrome trim rings on the wheels. (I could have done those with a Molotow, but didn't bother at this time.) 

Total Snake-Fu time was under two hours, and this thing COMPLETELY scratches my itch to track down an AMT kit, probably pay too much for it, put 30-50 hours into it, and very likely never get it finished. Ten bucks, two hours, Gullwing on my shelf! DONE!

55Mercedes300SLDC04.jpg.a0b3f44368cd148d5cfc789d7078e45b.jpg

55Mercedes300SLDC07.jpg.73a4c9cb8cdd23cc3f83c831fb449a6b.jpg

55Mercedes300SLDC09.jpg.e1c9b42b859267e1fbeb60abcb8c8e1f.jpg

55Mercedes300SLDC12.jpg.843b2e3fecb801fb32611e1a8ecf5532.jpg

And what would a 300SL Gullwing model be if the doors didn't open? There's even a little underhood detail. 

55Mercedes300SLDC15.jpg.a40ff07c190fee75f16c4c792b16bae1.jpg

55Mercedes300SLDC17.jpg.0d202d2c08d4751b10123b55854d952f.jpg

55Mercedes300SLDC19.jpg.abfaefa4a41b80cfb33202d9680e3235.jpg

This my 23rd completed project for 2018, and my fifth Snake-Fu'ed diecast for this year. 

18 hours ago, Snake45 said:

"Total Snake-Fu time was under two hours, and this thing COMPLETELY scratches my itch to track down an AMT kit, probably pay too much for it, put 30-50 hours into it, and very likely never get it finished. Ten bucks, two hours, Gullwing on my shelf! DONE!"

THAT is EXACTLY why I am doing diecasts now instead of plastic kits.   Even the "mint" cars can usually use a short trip to the bench for a polishing and some cleaning time.   I've been using my dremel with a soft cloth polishing wheel to do most of the heavy lifting.  Turtle wax scratch remover will knock off the skin oil film that accumulates and any other dullness.   Make whatever repairs.   Or in the case of new Wellys, a little paint detail time.  

Nice score.  I love that car but it just doesn't fit my collection right now.  Maybe someday.  I do like seeing diecasts given a little more respect and detailing to make them viable display pieces.  

12 minutes ago, randyc said:

I love that car but it just doesn't fit my collection right now.  Maybe someday. 

Doesn't really "fit" my "collection" either, but you gotta admit it's a hella cool looking car. C'mon, who doesn't love a 300SL Gullwing? B):lol:

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Thanks for the tip on using white paint on the headlight stems.  I tried it and it  is much easier than pulling out the headlamps and cutting off the stems. 

Oh, absolutely! It doesn't work 100% of the time (I just did another one where it didn't), but when it does it works great and gets rid of the toylike bug-eyed look. I can't STAND that! B)

It works just as well on plastic kits, too. Have done it many times. BTW, you might think silver, chrome or foil would do it. They don't work nearly as well. Use WHITE. Trust me! 

• 3 months later...
On ‎03‎.‎09‎.‎2018 at 9:05 AM, 89AKurt said:

Not bad for a die cast, and can't beat the price!  I have an AMT kit of that, have a diorama idea for it, based on a real car I knew about last century, under a tarp.

agreed.

My brother started this Weekend the amt/matchbox kit, myself gave up on two of them till yet (it is smart,nice looking but really old)...one i own i also planed for a Diorama i'm working on.

Snake, i agree with the fabulous gull wings. Since my childhood i have a black Bburago SL in my collection - was a present from my aunt in Florida. Never in my life i will sell that one! Others (two amt, one Tamiya) were came and gone in my shelf, because my wish to built them was bigger than to make it. Some cars you have only the Chance to get as diecast.

what manufactor is that DieCast? Like the wheels and it Looks very nice!

On 12/3/2018 at 8:21 AM, Dominik said:

agreed.

My brother started this Weekend the amt/matchbox kit, myself gave up on two of them till yet (it is smart,nice looking but really old)...one i own i also planed for a Diorama i'm working on.

Snake, i agree with the fabulous gull wings. Since my childhood i have a black Bburago SL in my collection - was a present from my aunt in Florida. Never in my life i will sell that one! Others (two amt, one Tamiya) were came and gone in my shelf, because my wish to built them was bigger than to make it. Some cars you have only the Chance to get as diecast.

what manufactor is that DieCast? Like the wheels and it Looks very nice!

Welly, $10 at Ride Aid (though I haven't seen another one), and thanks! B)

• 4 weeks later...

Gotta love a Gullwing!   I'll have to go see if I can procure one at my local store!  Welly does put out a credible product.

While these are iconic today, they weren't well received when new.  I remember reading a review in an ancient magazine by Tom Cahill stating that they were poorly ventilated and you'd roast inside one.  For years they sold cheap.   

25 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Welly does put out a credible product.

Some of their stuff is amazingly nice, easily the equal of at least M2. Others are only so-so, about like Motor Max. Still others, not so much. You really want to evaluate each one individually on its own merits. That said, I bought and/or worked on at least six or seven of their products this year that I liked very, very much. 

Last time I went to the Rite Aid, they had 69 or 70 Mustangs.   One red, one yellow.   After evaluating, I decided to pass.   For one, the new Revell was still on the way.   And two, the interior wasn't up to snuff.  Same thing I have said in the Mustang thread on the plastic side.   And got blasted for not wanting one.   A guy can't win, eh?  LOL

Now makes me wonder if I could get the Welly and swap in the door panels and any other good stuff from Welly into the plastic kit.  Hmmmm.   

The Wellys I have bought, I have liked pretty much.   I even bought the 68 GTO and struggled with what to do witht he wheels and tires.   Couldn't find somthing that would work like I wanted.   Ended up drilling new axle holes just above the factory holes.  Lowered the car enough to fill in the wells better.   Still waiting for more detail work, but looking better already.  I think I have a MCG detail set somewhere as well that might donate a few pieces to the project.   

Oh well, I'm straying.   Back to topic.

53 minutes ago, randyc said:

Last time I went to the Rite Aid, they had 69 or 70 Mustangs.   One red, one yellow.   After evaluating, I decided to pass.   For one, the new Revell was still on the way.   And two, the interior wasn't up to snuff.  Same thing I have said in the Mustang thread on the plastic side.   And got blasted for not wanting one.   A guy can't win, eh?  LOL

Now makes me wonder if I could get the Welly and swap in the door panels and any other good stuff from Welly into the plastic kit.  Hmmmm.   

I'd be willing to bet they're '70 Boss 302s. They're pretty nice. I have a Grabber Green one, too. But you probably won't be able to swap the interior panels into the new Revell '69 Boss, because the Wellys are 1/24 and the Revell is 1/25. 

Are they really 1/24?    Seems like we've all noticed the scale weirdness in the diecasts and plastics.   All it would take is for them to each be slightly off and it might work.  But I probably won't do that.   I have a JL mach ! I like a lot and a Shelby GT 500 as well.  Like both of those pretty well.  No need to build another Mustang any time soon.  Unless they do a Parnelli Jones TA car.  Then I'd be in for sure!

Stopped by my Rite Aid today for the first time in over a month. Same old stuff on rack, nothing I hadn't seen before. Girl behind the counter saw me looking at them and said she'd just gotten a new box in she hadn't put out yet--she pulled it from under the counter for me! It had a silver Mercedes 300SL in it! I liked it better than my red one, but not enough to buy another one. The box also had a blue VW Beetle, something else I don't remember, and a bright red 427 Cobra that followed me home. So it wasn't a wasted trip. B)

Snake,

I have not seen the silver Mercedes 300SL yet at Rite Aid but I did pick up the blue Beetle and I do have the red Cobra.  I wonder if a store only sells X number of models in a two week period if the distribution center then sends only X number of models during the following period.

Idk, but the local display was a wreck last time.   Lots of new cars.   Lots of beat up cars.   They just cram them in there and parts are laying loose in the bins.    There is a 2005? GTO that I almost bought, but noticed it was missing one side door windows when I was at the counter.  Girl said she'd put it in the box to return.   But it RETURNED to the display.  Still there after several months.   The white GSX I bought was missing the spoiler but it was found in the display loose.   Wheels, tires, parts parts, parts.   So I'm guessing a box comes in and gets added to whatever is there, no matter how they have to cram them in the display.