Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Corvette

I recall reading an article a while (perhaps a couple of years) ago in which it was alluded that Chevrolet has taken the front engine - rear drive platform about as far as it can performance wise.  This in itself seems to lend credence to moving to a mid engine design if they are going to try and keep the car competitive as a world class sports car.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I heard a couple of years ago that there would most likely be a mid engine Corvette in the near future.I will admit,I think the car is gorgeous looking,from what I can see..However, it's so obvious that Chevy is doing its best to imitate Ferrari...So there is good and bad news.Again the car is incredible,but a Vette is a Vette,and a Ferrari is a Ferrari..Someone also mentioned that there will still be a front engine Vette for those who don't want the mid engine car.Plus once you put that engine in the rear,the car is going to take on a whole new feeling while driving.Some folks will love it,while others will hate it.I guess we will have to wait and see.

I am quite sure that Chevrolet will probably keep the front engine car, at least as long as it sell in sufficient quantities to keep the brand profitable for the market Select dealerships will be able to sell the mid-engine car if their sales and service CSI average is high. Mediocre dealerships need not apply.

Unfortunately, the car may be great, but the buying masses will still look at the car as a Chevy, albeit the ultimate Chevy.

Ford makes its customers and dealers jump through hoops to get a Ford GT. Chevrolet has to do the same. Limited availability is the key. Proper pricing is the next requirement. The car should be priced high enough at retail to attract only serious players. Poseurs need not apply, even though a few may be able to get one with enough money and corporate connections.

In my opinion, a dealership that places a ridiculous markup over msrp should not be able to get the car through normal channels. Only the cream of the crop dealerships with knowledgeable sales and service personnel, management and ownership shall be rewarded with the opportunity to sell this car.

At the end of the day, a quality car needs to be produced from job one. The car should have a very short option list, as well as the color and trim palate. The car has to be sharp and purposeful. Not trendy. 

As a modeler, I want to see a high quality, full detailed kit of this car. We need GM to select, cooperate with, and force the model manufacturer to produce a quality kit of the car. I want to see the selected model manufacturer consult with expert modelers on the subject to critique each stage of each assembly. We know who they are.

The Model has to properly represent the actual subject faithfully. No goofy tire/wheel combinations, no misshapen thick bodies, no thick distorted glass, no cartoon like interiors, no engine blobs, nor funky stance.  The promo contract should also go to the kit manufacturer as a reward for a job well done.

And most of all, the kit should be released at the time the actual car is released. Or at least while the car is hot.

Ron, here is an interesting  excerpt from the story about the car.

"Chevrolet is being coy and hasn’t yet acknowledged the existence of the vehicle, even though prototypes have been caught in the wild before, but it is expected to either replace the front-engine Corvette in 2020, or be positioned above it and sold under a different name.

If the latter, it may be called the Zora, after famed General Motors engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov, who is known as the “Father of the Corvette.” GM has spent the past few years trademarking the Zora name for use on motor vehicles."

Ron Hamilton, I like your views on this, and on a new model kit of the mid-engine halo Vette.

I'd like to suggest that even the model manufacturer's make a "Halo" kit, and I know I'm going crazy here, but why not 1/12th scale?

A lot of us are getting older, well ALL of us are, and 1/12th could become a great scale, although obviously more expensive, some old guys like myself who've built a lot of models over the decades are now taking more time and adding more details trying to make sort of an ultimate build. (I tried that 1/12th Countach, and have a lot of money invested in parts for an ongoing 1/8th '32) 1/12th would be the ideal scale, even for a '32 IMO.

Of course there would still be 1/24th, just like Chevy will still offer front engine Vette!

I could be crazy! (okay I AM crazy, heeheehee)

24 minutes ago, dino246gt said:

Ron Hamilton, I like your views on this, and on a new model kit of the mid-engine halo Vette.

I'd like to suggest that even the model manufacturer's make a "Halo" kit, and I know I'm going crazy here, but why not 1/12th scale?

A lot of us are getting older, well ALL of us are, and 1/12th could become a great scale, although obviously more expensive, some old guys like myself who've built a lot of models over the decades are now taking more time and adding more details trying to make sort of an ultimate build. (I tried that 1/12th Countach, and have a lot of money invested in parts for an ongoing 1/8th '32) 1/12th would be the ideal scale, even for a '32 IMO.

Of course there would still be 1/24th, just like Chevy will still offer front engine Vette!

I could be crazy! (okay I AM crazy, heeheehee)

A 1/12 scale kit would be nice. I have a 1/12 late model Shelby I have not built yet, and it looks to be a nice kit. I did build the 69 Camaro and have another one. While I like larger scale kits, I don't have the room to display them. My old 1/16 are in boxes with the exception of a couple.

Slick model, Ronald!

If ever there was an American car that deserved the large scale treatment, this would be it.   The big stumbling block I can see is that Revell doesn't operate in the US anymore, and Round 2 seems to be geared more towards people who want to relive their childhoods.  On the up side, mid engined exotics seem to have international appeal, so maybe some of the foreign kitmakers might be interested?   Revell Germany springs to mind, and the Japanese have done kits of American iron in the past.  I'm probably dreaming in technicolour, but a Corvette given the Tamiya treatment would be something to see, even if the price would rival the full sized version.    For those who want to get it one piece at a time, D'Agostino has done iconic American cars

A bigger question is, will we get kits of the C8? In the past there were strong Corvette supporters in Revell/Monogram although we were certainly let down by the quality of the C7 kit. Now with ownership of Revell in the hands of Europeans will there be any interest in producing such an iconically North American car as the Corvette?

A mid engine Corvette can probably be a good thing, but what about an electric all autonomous corvette?
Afterall, haven't the worlds leading politicians decided that there will be no more driver-driven cars from 2030 and that "fossilefuelcars" are not to be manufactured after 2025?
Or was that just fake news from car-hating hippies?

I do like that mid-enginened C5 that Dennis shows here, just imagine if GM had launched that in 1997. I think I see hints of 90s Lotus Elan and Spyker C8 in it (and maybe some others aswell). I like it, and I want to have it in a videogame (that's as close as I will ever get to testing such cars on the road anyway). Need For Speed 2 SE in a remastered version perhaps...B)

• 10 months later...

I do think trying to compare it with landing on the moon might be a bit of a stretch.

They've been teasing the possibility of a mid-engine Corvette since I was a kid, so I guess I am excited that they are finally making it happen.

Edited by Richard Bartrop