Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

I went looking through some boxes and bags of "random parts" I've accumulated from elsewhere over the years for my '65 Riv hood. No joy, although, heartbreakingly, one of the bags had a number of custom parts from the '65 Riv kit, but no hood. But that bgd DID turn up an unexpected '66 Wildcat hood, the custom one with louvers sorta like a '67 Camaro SS on it. Hmmmm. It's both wider and longer than the Riv hood, so it could be cut down to fit, and better yet, the forward-edge "V" looks VERY similar in angle. Downside is that it doesn't have the depressions that match up with the cowl vents like the Riv hood should have, and those louver thingies, being a bit raised, make it thin right under them on the underside--almost certainly too thin to file those depressions into it. Maybe they can be filled on the underside with epoxy or something. The work would seem to be easier than trying to create a usable hood by vac-forming a Riviera kit hood. I know from experience that those depressions won't vac-form cleanly--they won't be sharp, they'll be too soft to look good. 

Hmmmmmmm.....:unsure:

Another "random part" I found was an AMT '65 Chevelle hood onto which someone has already neatly grafted a '69 Camaro cowl induction lump. I'll be finding some good use to put THAT to, I assure you! 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I went looking through some boxes and bags of "random parts" I've accumulated from elsewhere over the years for my '65 Riv hood. No joy, although, heartbreakingly, one of the bags had a number of custom parts from the '65 Riv kit, but no hood. But that bgd DID turn up an unexpected '66 Wildcat hood, the custom one with louvers sorta like a '67 Camaro SS on it. Hmmmm. It's both wider and longer than the Riv hood, so it could be cut down to fit, and better yet, the forward-edge "V" looks VERY similar in angle. Downside is that it doesn't have the depressions that match up with the cowl vents like the Riv hood should have, and those louver thingies, being a bit raised, make it thin right under them on the underside--almost certainly too thin to file those depressions into it. Maybe they can be filled on the underside with epoxy or something. The work would seem to be easier than trying to create a usable hood by vac-forming a Riviera kit hood. I know from experience that those depressions won't vac-form cleanly--they won't be sharp, they'll be too soft to look good. 

Another "random part" I found was an AMT '65 Chevelle hood onto which someone has already neatly grafted a '69 Camaro cowl induction lump. I'll be finding some good use to put THAT to, I assure you! 

Welly did the 65 Riviera and some one (maybe you) said it was undersized, more like 1/25.  It would be a $9.99 sacrifice or get a copy cast.

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I've been sitting on a very restorable glue bomb '63 Riv for about 20 years now, missing only its rear bumper. Fortunately I ordered one from Modelhaus before they went OOB, and it's waiting patiently in my "last Care package" from them. Now I wish I'd ordered two. :(

I may be able to help you guys

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Welly did the 65 Riviera and some one (maybe you) said it was undersized, more like 1/25.  It would be a $9.99 sacrifice or get a copy cast.

Yes, I have two of them. If I wanted to go to the trouble and expense of casting a hood, I'd use one from one of the unbuilt kits I have. 

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:25 PM, dave branson said:

Alright I am in and here is Fujimi BMW Hartage M5 going to paint with  Tru Color Raspberry Pearl with a tan interior. Primed the car about 12 years ago.

001.JPG

003.JPG

002.JPG

Here is an update on my BMW, had to strip the primer , it was real gritty .  I resprayed with Tamiya White primer, changed the color I was going to use, the Tru-Color Raspbery pearl was to dark so I went with MCW Raspberry Metaillic. Interior was painted with 2 different colors of brown from Tamiya Spray cans. Hope to have finished next week

050.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

046.JPG

045.JPG

010.JPG

009.JPG

008.JPG

Edited by dave branson
add pictures

Update time: 

RobertW: Hasegawa Lockheed Neptune

Straightliner59: Junior Fueler Dragster MAKING PROGRESS

BelugaWRX: Wolf WR1

Mod3lLover: Mustang

Dave Branson: Fujimi BMW H5 MAKING PROGRESS 

NAFAW9: HO scale big rig

Geemoney: ’34 Ford

Disconovaman: Probably some kind of pickup—’55 Ford?

Bobthehobbyguy: ’32 Ford 5-window

Bandit1: Peterbilt 377

Prostreeter69: ’48 Ford

Snake45: ’66 Chevelle

SuperbirdMcMonte: '70 Monte Carlo FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to Austin Gasser

Modlbldr: '65 Mustang

Cdubya: '55 Chevy

JunkyardJeff: '34 Ford truck

You know what to do, gang: GITTER DONE! B)

Edited by Snake45

On 4/21/2019 at 2:47 PM, Snake45 said:

I found the 1963 Riviera rear bumper! I have the 63 hood too. I’m pretty sure I have a 65 hood I could cast too.

12 minutes ago, Superbird McMonte said:

I found the 1963 Riviera rear bumper! I have the 63 hood too. I’m pretty sure I have a 65 hood I could cast too.

I'm pretty sure a '63 hood would work for me fine, if you're just in the mood to cast one. I don't need a '63 bumper, I got a Modelhaus one for that project. 

This Riv body turned out to be in worse shape than it looks in the pics. The gray primer was apparently quite hot, and the styene has a mild etch everywhere, meaning that every square millimeter of it has to be hand-sanded. And it looks like someone attacked the top with the scale equivalent of an axe, for what reason I can't imagine, but there are dozens of deep grooves and gouges in it, all of which will have to be filled. This isn't difficult work, just time-consuming and tedious. But no big deal, I've worked with MUCH worse bodies than this and they've ended up just fine. B)

Remember, if this were easy, ANYBODY could do it. :lol:

On 4/21/2019 at 9:46 AM, Modlbldr said:

Snake, I say go for it! Your story that the body was in the basement being painted sounds reasonable to me. I know I have had kits with parts at home and parts at work 30 miles away.

Wish I had a spare 65 hood for you. I am looking for the more elusive 63 Rivi rear bumper.

I say Git 'er done!

Later-

I found the 63 bumper! Would you like a couple castings?

A31DF1AE-30BF-4AF3-B19E-0266DB672DC1.thumb.jpeg.17784a3cc6b5a0e6a760c6f067c60a32.jpeg

1 hour ago, Superbird McMonte said:

I found the 65 hood and ornament!

3B3C8849-D92C-484E-91A4-97C153C3108E.thumb.jpeg.c9c375e97cc69ebc57be707cffb258c8.jpeg

Please don't break up your unbuilt kit for my resurrection project. It's not worth it--I can make one out of the '66 Wildcat hood. BUT, if you don't mind the time and expense of casting, I'd be happy to accept a resin copy. Don't worry about the hood ornamant--I won't be using it. B)

17 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Please don't break up your unbuilt kit for my resurrection project. It's not worth it--I can make one out of the '66 Wildcat hood. BUT, if you don't mind the time and expense of casting, I'd be happy to accept a resin copy. Don't worry about the hood ornamant--I won't be using it. B)

Casting the hood is easy and doesn’t cost me anything. I usually use leftover rubber because I mix up too much for something else.?

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:03 PM, dave branson said:

Here is an update on my BMW, had to strip the primer , it was real gritty .  I resprayed with Tamiya White primer, changed the color I was going to use, the Tru-Color Raspbery pearl was to dark so I went with MCW Raspberry Metaillic. Interior was painted with 2 different colors of brown from Tamiya Spray cans. Hope to have finished next week

050.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

046.JPG

045.JPG

010.JPG

009.JPG

008.JPG

Made some more progress on the BMW.  Emblems , interior finished, and the rims were finished. Car was sprayed with 2 coats clear 

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

Making steady progress on the Riv. 

Got it up on wheels today, for the first time in more than 50 years. 

65RivieraGB25.jpg.ed4edb035f07c61bb1821f511a2aacbd.jpg

That gray primer that didn't come off in the Purple Pond is quite grainy/pebbly, so every square millimeter of the plastic has to be sanded. So far have the right side done. 

65RivieraGB30.jpg.0f70133ef87b2f0f5ef78a8d0141c789.jpg

Didn't notice it when I was buying the body, but the top was VERY scratched and gouged up. Looked like someone had tried to remove the paint with a hatchet, or a KA-BAR, or something of the sort. Entire top had to be block sanded to remove the kerf ick, and then all the gouges filled with 3M red glazing filler. It's almost done perfect here--a little left to do. Thinking of calling this project "Knife Fight," 'cause that's what the scars look like. :blink:

65RivieraGB34.jpg.c4cc65a6dd51eef475951c1eae654f0a.jpg

Snake looks like it did the hwy slide on the roof. 

No progress here ran into a suspension stumbling block that i'm working around. 

Once I get it figured out will post some updated pics of mini freightshaker. 

Lots to see with y'alls progress. 

I've most of the rollcage padding installed. I originally had wrapped it in narrow strips of electrical tape. I didn't like it,because it wasn't uniform, and it was lumpy. I ended up using slit lengths of heat-shrink tubing, bound in place with zip-ties. Looks much better! I need to replace one set of zip-ties, because the line I used to make them was a tad too heavy. It seems like this dragster wants to fight me, at every step!