Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any old Hubley metal builders out there?

Just wondering, I have two that my dad and I built in the 80's that I still have---I think one is a Model A Town Car and the other is a '32 Chevy convertible. They  are beat to heck and have missing parts. I have had them forever, and while the nostalgia is great, is there anyone that might be interested in restoring them? I really don't know what to do with them at this point. ***NOTE: I see there is no buying on here, so I posted a trade inquiry in the appropriate area. Also the site that is listed to sell on is no longer available.

Edited by greg133
Adding information

I have a couple that I am working on. I built them with my Dad back in the 70's. I would go to work with him and we would build the models, all Hubley metal Model As. He owned a company restoring Model As. He died in 99 and so I am building these because of the memories of my Dad. 

Are you wanting someone to build them for you? Or, what are you asking for?

No, I guess I'm asking if anyone is interested in buying them for a few bucks if it's something they like doing, because at this point they're just sitting around and collecting dust. I'd like to get them into the hands of anyone who wants to bring them back and appreciate them. I'm not trying to peddle them or make a bunch of money, as I just joined tonight I didn't check if there's a buy, sell or trade forum.

58 minutes ago, greg133 said:

No, I guess I'm asking if anyone is interested in buying them for a few bucks if it's something they like doing, because at this point they're just sitting around and collecting dust. I'd like to get them into the hands of anyone who wants to bring them back and appreciate them. I'm not trying to peddle them or make a bunch of money, as I just joined tonight I didn't check if there's a buy, sell or trade forum.

Good luck.

I tried trading one away more than a year ago on this forum.

I don't believe that I got one response.

Steve

There are unbuilt kits on ebay for very little money. I doubt anyone would pay you for them if they still have to hunt down parts. Even among the die cast crowd, Hubleys don't have a huge following even here. Not to mention due to weight, shipping will be expensive. My advice is restore them yourself, or recycle bin.

11 hours ago, Jantrix said:

There are unbuilt kits on ebay for very little money. I doubt anyone would pay you for them if they still have to hunt down parts. Even among the die cast crowd, Hubleys don't have a huge following even here. Not to mention due to weight, shipping will be expensive. My advice is restore them yourself, or recycle bin.

Yea, the missing parts would be an issue for me. I've thought several times about the Model A (4-door) Town Car. But, if I really wanted one, I'd search for a complete one on eBay. 

On 12/21/2018 at 9:53 AM, Jantrix said:

My advice is restore them yourself, or recycle bin.

I'd kinda hate to think of them just being tossed out. If you can't find anybody who's willing to buy or trade for them, at least donate them to someplace that sells discards for a worthy cause...like an animal shelter, homeless kitchen, something like that. There is certainly SOMEBODY they can be of more benefit to than the trash can.

And in general, most local recycling operations won't really be equipped to get much (if any) value from a potmetal kit with a few styrene parts mixed in.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

There are Hubley metal car fans active on both Facebook and Yahoo and thus still a market for cars and parts.  Here's a link to the Facebook Group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/141165735961953/

I've built several and wouldn't mind more but shipping up here to Canada can be an issue.  Easiest thing for you would be to take them to a local model show and sell them there.  Here's one i did  a couple of years ago:

image.png.d98fed299a1c36caabd5a53adb97797a.png

Edited by hct728(Bob)

You are correct, Gregory Kluck...... the Minicraft Rolls-Royce was previously a Hubley promo, both in plastic. I have an original Hubley promo and many Minicraft kits, but I think the above topic is talking about metal scale model cars, so not the plastic ones. I believe the tooling has passed from Minicraft to China, but I may be wrong, and it is possible that Minicraft still own the tools. The company does still exist in Rockford, Illinois, USA.

Don't know if this helps you at all, Greg Hasselbach..... just thought I would add what I know. Although I would be interested in old Hubley models, they would have to be Rolls-Royce..... sorry.

David

I have most of the Hubley metal kits, but did not yet build one. However, Bob Steinbrunn of this parish did one of the Duesenbergs.

The metal kits were reissued by Gabriel in the 1980s and again under the Hubley banner around the turn of the millennium.
Originating in the 1950s, they must be among the longest running kits in history.
Initially the series contained a hot rod kit which was never reissued and is thus rare.

The series comprises

1909 Ford Ts in 1/20 scale
1930/31 Ford As in 1/20 scale
1932 Chevrolets in 1/20 scale
1930 Packards in 1/22 scale
Duesenbergs in 1/18 scale

AFAIK the following versions exist:

Ford T: Sport Runabout, Depot Hack, Touring, Fire Engine, C-cab van

Ford A: Roadster, Coupe, Phaeton, Town Sedan, Victoria, Woody Wagon, Roadster Pick Up

1932 Chevy: Coupe, Roadster, Phaeton

Packard: Sport Phaeton, Roadster, Dietrich Victoria

Duesenberg: Town Car, Dual Cowl Phaeton

And as mentioned above, the hot rod, which also was 1/20 scale and interestingly had an engine resembling an Offenhauser.