Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette Grand Sport 1964 Sebring

Gramps46

I am posting this model for Scott Kercher who also took the pictures on film. The model was built using an Accurate Miniatures kit (Revell also released the same kit) and represents Grand Sport 004 as driven by Texans Johnson and Morgan at the 1964 Sebring race.

5c28edb619e1b_CorvetteGS.thumb.jpg.98a76882d93f92fcb91734979c25d29e.jpg5c28edb902e94_CorvetteGS_qw.jpeg.thumb.jpg.1b352fce4546a620f6af0cf0f3b0b0f6.jpg5c28edbc0c7a5_CorvetteGS-MA.jpeg.thumb.jpg.c45b19f5b6c0b429e7afceac0bfbc000.jpg

Here is Scott's description of his build:

There are something like 42 additions, corrections and deletions according to my build sheet. Biggest visual change to the exterior is the tires from the Fujimi Ford GT kit. Grill is stretched sprue, and the tail has the cb radio mast, the copper strips, the Schwinn rocket lights, and 2 scoops on the back window. A complete restoration of this car is featured on the racingicons.com site; it's rare that us modelers have such a good reference.
  Inside we have no carpeting, so that was sanded down. 2 sets of seatbelts complete with Rupert decals, revised dash, taped wheel, and an additional crossbar on the roll bar to anchor the shoulder belts.
  Underneath the battery was relocated to the tail and the pneumatic jack removed. The headers/exhaust is one of the biggest pains on this kit. I glued the headers to the exhaust first, got them both at the same angle, and added the mufflers. Then the heads on the block got drilled out so the headers would slip in, and where they met the chassis were filed down and the chassis was notched. A bit of work, but they fit!
  Paint is Duplicolor GM Light metallic blue, not rubbed out, just like the restoration!

Edited by Gramps46
misspelling

Thanks for posting, Gary...... and Scott has done a wonderful job there. As well as finding the Corvette fascinating, I am also intrigued by the figure in the third photo.... where did he come from? Certainly, I could use a figure like that if I knew where to get hold of one.

David

16 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Thanks for posting, Gary...... and Scott has done a wonderful job there. As well as finding the Corvette fascinating, I am also intrigued by the figure in the third photo.... where did he come from? Certainly, I could use a figure like that if I knew where to get hold of one.

David

David,

I have the figure too but no memory of where it came from, I will ask Scott if he remembers.

Gary

17 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Wow! Very nice! A kit I've had for many a year now, but just haven't gotten to. I also have the roadster transkit by HRM........I don't know when I'd get to that one.

Gary, those figures you were talking about are here. Very neat as they come in G Scale which is about right for 1/24-25. ;)

Thanks Bill for the link.  Very useful.