Model Cars Magazine Forum

De Tomaso Mangusta

In regards to that blueprints link...........for us 'rivet counters' out there, this is GREAT for printing out a body shape for example, scale it to 1/25 and do any tweaks or changes that may not be quite right. I'm looking over several cars (Corvettes for instance) and a couple side profiles are well............not quite to my liking. STILL a great site!

2 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

its a handy site but uses a little artistic licence on some of the images

Yup! ;)

19 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Don't get your feelings hurt. Trying to be helpful is fine. So is saying the information is bad. Which it is. Truth.

That's fine. I suspect he could have said it in a better way like you did Bill. But, anyway, as they say "Live and learn". 

2 hours ago, Pico said:

Well, I'll be darned. I assumed that the drawing was redrawn from the Polish one and was the same, but it's not. There are slight differences, I'll compare it to photos and known dimensions. 

Yessir. The upper drawing above is from the first page of this thread, and is, I believe, from the "Polish" source.

The lower drawing, which looks pretty right much better to me, is from the carbluprints.info site. 

Very different proportions, lines, and details.

Compare the carblueprints drawing to this...much closer to right with the exception of some subtle differences, including the top of the "vent" window, the base of the windshield, and the forward roofline. The rear roofline isn't quite right either. It's actually several gently blended curves, not the continuous curve that's usually portrayed in drawings. And the real Goose windshield has a little more curvature at the bottom than at the top...visible in the photo (as the base of the windshield is forward of the pillar bases). I once had one of these in my shop that had been punched in the LF corner hard enough to displace the base of the pillar rearward (some "restoration" chimps had glued the windshield in with several tubes of silicone, because the fit was so terrible...and shortened the front of the door-shell too; pretty impressive workmanship) and I became VERY familiar with what's going on shapewise with these cars as a result. "Correct" Mangustas do, unfortunately, exhibit a very slight nose-up attitude, like the blue car below. And like Panteras, they are NOT symmetrical side-to-side.  B)

Image result for detomaso mangusta

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Actually Bill, those "wrong" drawings are from the carblueprints site also.

Hmmmmm...that's interesting. And that's why I was griping earlier about people putting up stuff on the web that's supposed to be "reference" material that is in actuality gooey, smelly, brown stuff.

I don't mean you. You reasonably assumed published "reference" material would be correct, and tried to help. Which is admirable.

Unfortunately, NEITHER drawing is 100% accurate, though the lower one (above) is better, and both are close enough to be instantly recognizable as "Mangusta" (but the front and rear views are awful...not really very close at all).

A more correct rendition of the car would use elements from BOTH drawings...which is pretty weird.

We went through something like this about Porsche 904s not too long ago as well, and the published "reference" drawings were off by a mile...which I pointed out and made a few people mad in the process.

This garbage data obviously creeps into kit design too, where there's not an anal-retentive design consultant available (or thought to be not necessary) and the kit designers, not really "car guys" to the extent that some of us are, just assume too much.

8 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Unfortunately, NEITHER drawing is 100% accurate, though the lower one (above) is better, and both are close enough to be instantly recognizable as "Mangusta" (but the front and rear views are awful...not really very close at all).

you dont want to see how bad the third version on the car blueprints site is, it could be anything with a similar shape

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, beeRS said:

Come on Fujimi, Hasegawa, Tamiya or Aoshima. Please do us a 1/24 kit of these. We already have plenty of Panteras, Miuras and 512BBs so why not a Mangusta?

At the moment, De Tomaso is owned by the Hong Kong based venture capital firm Ideal Team Ventures. They also own Apollo Automobil, the former Gumpert company. I would imagine that because of this the current owners might not be as easy to work with in terms of licensing as previous holders of the De Tomaso name. 

• Thanks 1