Model Cars Magazine Forum

VERY SMALL ROUND FILES

Recently I've been doing a lot of model work that requires precisely located holes. Sometimes, being even a few thousandths of an inch off from where a hole needs to be can adversely affect a model's outcome.

For this reason, depending on the accuracy required and the size of the hole, I'll often drill a pilot hole under-size, and if the center has drifted, I'll move it back into place with a tiny file, then re-bore it with the final size bit.

It's also sometimes necessary to enlarge a molded-in opening in a part, where conventional needle files are too big.

I find that oxy-acetylene welding torch tip-cleaner files work beautifully for this. They're made of material that's hard enough to hold up to styrene indefinitely.

The one on my model bench is a cheap Chinese piece, with 13 diameters ranging from .018" up to .069".

Image result for welding tip cleaners

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

47 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's also sometimes necessary to enlarge a molded-in opening in a part, where conventional needle files are too big.

Bead reamers will work for enlarging holes, too, but they have a larger taper than a metal working reamer would:

BDRM4.jpg

Not sure if there is a such a thing as a micro reamer, similar to needle files?

Yes, those files come in very handy.  But for *REALLY* precise miniature work the best are reamers used by during root canal therapy.  I had my share of those, and whenever I'm at the endodontist's office (for another root canal) I always tell them about my hobbies and as whether I could have couple of those tiny files they use during the procedure.  They usually hav a a box with dozens of them (and many different sizes).  They always let me have few of them (the unused ones of course).  Those are the tiniest files I have ever seen.

Edited by peteski

• 3 weeks later...

Been using root canal files for years. Once these are used by a dentist, they must be thrown out. Now, a couple of days before a dental appointment I phone the office and ask if the doctor could keep any used files for me. He sanitises them for me after use. These are very handy around the bench, especially for the scratchbuilders.

About 10 years ago i visited a number of yard sales in a mobile home park and picked up a box of retired jeweler's tools for $25.

Then picked out some German and Swiss specialty pliers, these small round files and these tiny rotary files.

The wood-handled files are: Flat, Round, Triangle and Half-Round. These are the smallest files i've ever seen, smaller than your typical jeweler's files.

There are no manufacturer's markings - they may be on the shanks inside the handles.

The rotary files: never seen anything that small before, either.

Oh, after i took what i wanted i sold the rest on eBay for $70 before fees ;)

The torch tip cleaners? I use them to clean cutting torch tips. The skinny ones bend so easy. Grrrrrrrrrr!

5c6db59d23cb3_Jeweler2.jpg.307ce691bafe1637f9182083fa9c3054.jpg

Edited by Daddy Mack