Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you display your rigs??

Easy enough question right? I've been curious to know how everyone displays their trucks and /or trailers. Do you have a glass display case? Open shelves? custom lexan covers? I'm not sure if this has been covered or not, if it has I'm sorry. I'm just curious to know how everyone displays their works of art.. That and trying to get ideas of how I want to display mine! Post photos if you don't mind, if you don't want to or can't post pics that's ok too!

Thanks in advance and can't wait to see your displays!!

Doc

I would post a picture, but I am too embarrassed by what I have currently. 

As of now I just have a shelf with my models collecting dust. I would like to have something better, but it works for now.

In truth, I enjoy building them, but once built I take pictures and share them here, but other than that, no one else cares. I never show them to anyone and I don't think my family has any idea what goes into them either. So, some day I may box them up and sell them or rip them apart and build something else. I don't ever see me having a large display case full of my finished models.

I have been building models for over 40 years. The only ones I have are the ones I have finished in the last 2 years. The rest (many) are long gone.

I put my tractors in these: https://www.pioneerplastics.com/shop/display-case/toy-cases/118-scale-diecast-case-2/

PioneerPlastics-355C-084C-094C-576C-641f.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize=105%2C105&ssl=1PioneerPlastics-576CPbase-526f.jpg?zoom=1.5625&fit=100%2C71&ssl=1

You can order them directly from Pioneer Plastics,. or they are available at Hobby Lobby.  They generally will fit a single tractor or you don't get too crazy with the wheelbase, and they stack.

Edited by Jim B

A number of years ago I  had this dilemma and started researching cases. I found a site that sold cases for diecast 1/24 nascars that gave all the dimensions. I showed the pics and dimensions to a friend who does cabinetry and this is what he built. It has plexiglass which makes it really lightweight and will hold 30 cars.

20190311_181014.jpg

Back in the 1980s when I was building only trucks, I tied strings to the axles and threaded them through a plywood base to be held by thumbtacks on the underside of the 'plank.' It was beveled at the top, with a border surround of 1/8th" balsa strips, and inlaid with green velvet "grass." Drawer handles for easy carrying. Still have both of these, and maybe some day in the future I'll alter the Diamond Reo to be a bit more '60s-looking, and I'd like to de-pretty-ify the well driller back to a more realistic working truck appearance,

5c8722b51e7ca_D-ReoC-90-D.jpg.ef3713e4d39941945244c7f7a45eeaa6.jpg

5c8722b936966_Petewelldriller.jpg.e9a8c6ec3d1c4b17309abe98f1c5aa3a.jpg

I built my own custom acrylic display cases for displaying my big rig builds, all car carriers, because I could not envision fighting the dust devil all the time.  They also serve as excellent display cases for cars, etc. that I build.  I frequently rotate or change the models displayed as my mood changes.  The cases are permanently bonded on all sides except for the front cover which is a slight interference fit that I can slip in and out for access to the models.

display 1.jpg

display 2.jpg

5 hours ago, tbill said:

I have a cabinet and some individual display cases

58359D09-4760-4D2B-BEAC-91884525F39E.jpeg

7208E335-4C8E-40BA-A6EA-A53FAA1D189D.jpeg

D5F629A5-F86B-4577-A0DE-4AFBFC08326D.jpeg

Hey Bill, seen your work here and elsewhere! Love it by the way. Question on your individual cases for your rigs, did you have the plexi custom made or can they be bought in that size and whichever way what did they cost? I’ve been thinking of the same way of displaying my rigs that way...

Lots of nice models and great display ideas posted,  I'm just about out of room and will need to find another one soon and I'm not sure which route I'll take.

When I finished the basement back in the early 90's I recessed a bookcase/entertainment center into the wall and planned on displaying the 4 or 5 models I had built on one of the shelves. 26 years later the tv, stereo and all of the books have found new homes elsewhere in the house.  I used a piece of 1/4' acrylic for a door to keep the dust out, and I may add some led's to light it up in the future.

29001153978_bb9488ebd5_k.jpgDisplay case by Jim Gavin, on Flickr

7 hours ago, drinkone2 said:

Lots of nice models and great display ideas posted,  I'm just about out of room and will need to find another one soon and I'm not sure which route I'll take.

When I finished the basement back in the early 90's I recessed a bookcase/entertainment center into the wall and planned on displaying the 4 or 5 models I had built on one of the shelves. 26 years later the tv, stereo and all of the books have found new homes elsewhere in the house.  I used a piece of 1/4' acrylic for a door to keep the dust out, and I may add some led's to light it up in the future.

Sounds like a good idea!!

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2019 at 2:39 PM, Oldmopars said:

I would post a picture, but I am too embarrassed by what I have currently. 

As of now I just have a shelf with my models collecting dust. I would like to have something better, but it works for now.

In truth, I enjoy building them, but once built I take pictures and share them here, but other than that, no one else cares. I never show them to anyone and I don't think my family has any idea what goes into them either. So, some day I may box them up and sell them or rip them apart and build something else. I don't ever see me having a large display case full of my finished models.

I have been building models for over 40 years. The only ones I have are the ones I have finished in the last 2 years. The rest (many) are long gone.

I spend close to 2 years on a build . I am married to Mrs  : "it's just a Car"  . I have Display Cases with these under glass for me to enjoy . My Relatives and friends think I am nuts . I don't live to please them . God , My Wife and Myself is who I  work to make happy . Fot r me , putting them up in boxes ans selling myself off , I've done before . Regrettably .. Not again . My Wife Tolerates this personalty flaw .  Thanx ..

21 hours ago, dimaxion said:

I spend close to 2 years on a build . I am married to Mrs  : "it's just a Car"  . I have Display Cases with these under glass for me to enjoy . My Relatives and friends think I am nuts . I don't live to please them . God , My Wife and Myself is who I  work to make happy . Fot r me , putting them up in boxes ans selling myself off , I've done before . Regrettably .. Not again . My Wife Tolerates this personalty flaw .  Thanx ..

Not too many wives understand our...... sickness!! Mine would rather me box all of my stuff up and sell it but I'll never be able to do it.. I have too much into it all to just let it go!! She's not the type of it's just a car, she can appreciate and old hot rod or factory stock car for what they are and all, she just thinks I have to much... Meh!!! Me doan theenk so!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 5:47 AM, drinkone2 said:

WOOOOOOOW !!! Love this !!!