Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sizing Images for Decals

I attempted to do a size reduction by first printing the original image at 75% on glossy photo paper and then scan it which allows scanning in B&W.  Then the scanned image can be saved as a PNG or PDF file both of which are pure B&W and will print without the JPG color problem.  Had a problem with resolution because my Canon MX492 printer/scanner only has 600 dpi scan resolution. Not good enough.

So I ordered a new printer, Epson XP-7100, which has 1200 x 4800 dpi scan and 5760 x 1440 print resolutions. Ordered yesterday, Amazon delivers today.

I suspect a better result could be had if the image was printed white background with black numerals however the outline of the gauge faces would be lost. They can be created in Adobe or Corel.

FWIW I got glob prints by accidentally printing on the wrong side of the photo paper.

Don't know if this helps Steve, but it sure forces me to find a solution to a problem I've been avoiding.

Thanks Steve.

3 hours ago, Flat32 said:

I attempted to do a size reduction by first printing the original image at 75% on glossy photo paper and then scan it which allows scanning in B&W.  Then the scanned image can be saved as a PNG or PDF file both of which are pure B&W and will print without the JPG color problem. 

I'd suggest avoiding creating  multiple generations of the artwork.  Going to paper and scanning again will degrade the image,  just like making a new mold from a resin copy becomes second generation.

Graphics programs will convert images to black and white.  You can always print to black and white. There are usually two options,  gray scale and pure B&W, select the B&W. The option is right in the print request in any Microsoft program.

image.png.88d413ba676edb11a5da86024e0db4e3.png

These plates started out as a photo of my neighbor's rear plate, shot straight on with my phone (jpg). I cut out the plate itself using Snipping Tool in windoze, which makes a .png. I pasted the images into Word and used the gridlines in the "view" tab to make the images 1/2 inch wide. I printed it on photo paper with a Canon MX922. The front plate is the same image with the registration stickers edited out.

IMG_20190411_173853220.jpg

Guess I'll add my test .  I reduced the speedo image to 3/8" width (just a guess) and printed it on my old Canon inkjet .  I used Inkscape for this and printed directly from Inkscape , the image will lose resolution when it's exported to a bitmap(png) image . Also when printing this small NEVER use the photo setting , it will just flood the image with too much ink . If these are suitable I can print them for you on decal paper , send me a PM .

Speedo - 3-8 inch

Edited by TooOld

4 hours ago, TooOld said:

Guess I'll add my test .  I reduced the speedo image to 3/8" width (just a guess) and printed it on my old Canon inkjet .  I used Inkscape for this and printed directly from Inkscape , the image will lose resolution when it's exported to a bitmap(png) image . Also when printing this small NEVER use the photo setting , it will just flood the image with too much ink . If these are suitable I can print them for you on decal paper , send me a PM .

PM sent! :)

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I have an old graphics program from Micrographx.  I had someone e-mail a photo of a city seal they wanted made into a decal.  I downloaded the image into the computer I have the graphics in and then into the graphic program.  Many times I can just grab the image and reduce it in size without doing anything to it.  On the city seal it came out perfect.  Probably could do the same with what you show.  I can create a box the size of the image that is desired and then just grab the image and keep downsizing until it fits in the box.  Detail generally is retained quite well.  Printing is done on my ALPS printer on clear decal film.

22 minutes ago, Chariots of Fire said:

I have an old graphics program from Micrographx.  Printing is done on my ALPS printer on clear decal film.

For some reason Charlie I thought you used Corel Draw (and PhotoPaint for bitmap editing) for designing your decal artwork.

Here's a tip from an old guy with zero computer skills. I would measure the original image with the cheap digital caliper I bought from Harbor Freight For less than $ 10.00 then measure the opening where the images needs to fit. Dividing one number by the other will give a percentage of either reduction or enlargement needed for correct fit. Then I take it to the UPS store and have them print it. Another tip if you're using them to print your images and you need multiples of your image like labels for fermented adult beverage cases or license plates just tell them to print as many images per sheet as possible. That way you will have multiple images to work with or share.

On 4/7/2019 at 3:57 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I've been doing this for a while using Microsoft Word. I copy and paste the artwork and make it several different sizes then print it out in black and white. I pick out the one that is closest and tweak it, then make several more of it for spares and print them out on Microscale decal paper. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, DaveP said:

I'd like to print my own decals, I've got a Canon inkjet printer. What brand to decal paper would people recommend?

I also have a Canon.  I use the BMF Brand clear inkjet paper.  When buying, make sure you are buying the inkjet paper and not the laser printer paper.  The BMF brand is a full size 8.5 x 11 inch sheet.  If you are only printing a few images, print them at the top of the sheet.  Then you can cut that off and use the remainder of the sheet for more decals.  When using a partial sheet, I usually tape it onto a standard piece of paper.  

Edited by Tom Geiger