Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coca Cola Beetle - Round2 new releases for 2019

Would one of the more Volkswagen savvy  members tell me what specific year this V.W. Beetle is. The 1:25 scale "Coca Cola  Beetle" was featured in Round2`s (Polar Lights) new releases for 2019   video overview.Untitled.png.c4da8f0a16b56a2888bbc354854e8967.png

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Looks like glass over headlights which makes it 66 or older and looks like it still has the smaller windows which makes it 64 or older and it doesn't have the Wolfsburg crest on the front which would make it 63 or newer so with the limited detail I would say 63 or 64. About the only real notable difference between 63 and 64 is if it has a sunroof the 63 would be canvas and the 64 would be steel. Needless to say I've had a few in my day lol....

Just saw the last post with the canvas sunroof makes it a 63

Edited by SCRWDRVR

Since I have the attention of several Bettie connoisseurs can any of you tell me what years do the below 1/25 kits represent?

232259-14427-65-pristine.jpg.e1c1305ab337848f8ba6dac352464834.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.95a106c6197e7f6a99a19b047926addc.jpg5cc8f05d586ed__32.thumb.JPG.9b0b30179b53c884a3a62e21f75434a8.JPG

My end game is to build a 1/25 stock sixties era beetle. Any suggestions to which of these kits would be the better option for my project.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

The first one is a 68 or 69 the second  is a 63 or 64 the last one is 68 to 70 I believe, they of course don’t give to much detail but if your wanting a 60’s bug I would do the middle one if it has the option of doing it stock or the original one they are the oldest ones. I have no knowledge on those actual kits though I’m just going off the pics

Edited by SCRWDRVR

Greg, the Tamiya '66 Beetle would be the best one. Try to find one of those.

The only version of the Polar Lights kit that has the sunroof provision is the Love Bug version; but it's just a wrinkled insert over a solid roof with two locating holes. The later versions have a solid roof without the two holes. And to my old eyes the side windows look like the larger 1965 versions ( I have a Spiderman version and a Love Bug).

Edited by ZTony8

When I built my 1960 Beetle using the Tamiya 1966 kit, this Volkswagen Beetle Spotter's Guide: How to tell the age of a Volkswagen, from Small Wonder: The Amazing Story of the Volkswagen Beetle by Walter Henry Nelson was invaluable.

I wouldn't waste my time on this kit.  Bet it doesn't come with a cooler.  The hubcaps are early, like the Hasegawa Bus.  The windshield wipers look wrong.  But without seeing the actual kit, it's a guess.  I have the Gunze Sangyo kits, they are crude compared to the Tamiya.  I'll bet the Revell is not very good.  I had an Aoshima Super Beetle, horrid interior.

The Polar Lights kit is very nice and builds up well.  I'm glad to hear  they put the soft top back in the kit.  Regarding that, they put the mounting tabs too far to the edges and you see it on finished models.  If you are using it, cut off the tabs and simply glue it on.   If you are not using the soft top, double check the roof where the mounting tabs are flashed over.  On my last version (Spider Man release) I could still see them on the roof.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of the amt coca cola issue, Is there any BAJA aftermarket parts or anything for it anywhere? even maybe a Porshe engine to adapt to the rear transaxle?

I have an idea ive been meaning to scratch but cant find any aftermarket support or anything on this kit