Model Cars Magazine Forum

48 Chevy Fleetline - old school bomb

geetee66

I love the shape of these cars and this Galaxie Ltd. kit is lovely to work with.

got a swamp cooler 3D printed by Shapeways in the Netherlands, artillery wheels from The Parts Box, in Australia.

Roof n fenders will be candy red and the hood and sides will be white gold.

IMG_3672.JPG

IMG_3673.JPG

IMG_3674.JPG

I agree on the shape of these early Chevrolets. A couple of thoughts on the chassis. I foresee that the drive shaft tunnel may have to be raised to clear the drive shaft with the rear suspension set so low. Not sure if this is the final rid height for the rear suspension but the lower control arms are resting on the frame and leave no suspension travel. Looking at the finished model up on all four tires this wouldn't show but if you are displaying the chassis at all it would be visible. I like the old water cooler on the side window, these worked better than you might think especially with some ice in the water.   

2 hours ago, espo said:

I agree on the shape of these early Chevrolets. A couple of thoughts on the chassis. I foresee that the drive shaft tunnel may have to be raised to clear the drive shaft with the rear suspension set so low. Not sure if this is the final rid height for the rear suspension but the lower control arms are resting on the frame and leave no suspension travel. Looking at the finished model up on all four tires this wouldn't show but if you are displaying the chassis at all it would be visible. I like the old water cooler on the side window, these worked better than you might think especially with some ice in the water.   

Cheers Espo

I've got a parts box driveshaft with extra universal joints that can get around the driveshaft issue.

The ride height is going to be 'parked in the weeds', so suspension travel isn't an issue here.

2 hours ago, dino246gt said:

Here's the part to be removed, some styrene added then re-installed to clear the driveshaft and the diff. I also "mini-tubbed" it, sliced the inner fenders, added styrene then re-installed them:

P1200184.thumb.JPG.aa69e5c327cfb08f8c4da504900b49c3.JPG

P1200176.JPG

IMG_9042re.JPG

Thanks for taking the time to show me how you did yours. I found that I needed to completely remove the tops of the arches or the tyres hit them. 

The wheels came with big n little tyres, but it would probably have been better to get all four in the smaller size. It would've made life easier, but fat rears look so much better, I reckon.

The 3D printed cooler had more surface lines than I had hoped for, but the plastic is quite hard (much harder than styrene) and responds well to files and 1200 grit wet n dry.

ps I like the tiny nuts n bolts on your front suspension. It looks like it operates ?

Edited by geetee66

On 8/12/2019 at 12:04 PM, geetee66 said:

Cheers Espo

I've got a parts box driveshaft with extra universal joints that can get around the driveshaft issue.

The ride height is going to be 'parked in the weeds', so suspension travel isn't an issue here.

I kind of thought you already had this figured out but was not sure. Your chassis looks great, very nice work here. 

On 8/16/2019 at 1:53 AM, espo said:

I kind of thought you already had this figured out but was not sure. Your chassis looks great, very nice work here. 

Ok, so after a bit of thought, I decided the control arms I made were pony. So I relocated them  and made them a bit better. 

Now it looks more workable:

IMG_3691.JPG

I also masked and painted the sides with white gold and did a couple of stripes on the roof. These look a bit obvious now, but there's going to be lace panels and fingerprint sections covering some of it and under red candy, it should give a nice effect.

1B5A80A2-C6DF-43DB-9D8E-1A2ECB17C31D.jpg

IMG_3693.JPG

IMG_3694.JPG