Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Jeffcad

Fabulous!  Our family car from '67 to '73 was a '62 Cadillac Park Avenue Town Sedan 4-door hardtop with the shorter rear deck.  With stiffer rear shocks and a heavy-duty hitch from J.C. Whitney, it would tow a loaded 2-horse trailer.  I heard Apollo 11 land on the moon over the Wonderbar radio while riding up I-81 in Virginia with my Dad.  Thanks for sharing your beautiful model.

12 hours ago, Shambles said:

Hi Jeff. You must have way more patience than me. The last resin model I tried was a '58 Chevy Sedan Delivery. It only came with the body and hood so I bought a couple of kits for the other parts but could never get them to work right. After many hours of working, I gave up, weathered it, and hauled it off to the Shambles Performance Salvage lot.

'58SD.jpg

58SD-3.jpg

58SD-2.jpg

Hi John ! 

I am not sure about my patience...but my bug for Cadillac is maybe what helps ! ;) No matter your Chevy wasn't complete or has brought you troubles, the result is here, she turned out very well !!!. I have no specific talent for such transformations and weathering models, so Congrats !!!. I am impressed !

4 hours ago, Tiger89 said:

Fabulous!  Our family car from '67 to '73 was a '62 Cadillac Park Avenue Town Sedan 4-door hardtop with the shorter rear deck.  With stiffer rear shocks and a heavy-duty hitch from J.C. Whitney, it would tow a loaded 2-horse trailer.  I heard Apollo 11 land on the moon over the Wonderbar radio while riding up I-81 in Virginia with my Dad.  Thanks for sharing your beautiful model.

Hello David !.  Wow, these Park Avenue Sedans in 61 and 62 were pretty rare at the time. Thank YOU so much for sharing this touching episode of your life and this extraordinary singular moment in the history of humanity. It must have been amazing !. 

Thanks for your reply, Jean-Phillippe.  I sent Pedro a message on Facebook about the availability of this resin kit.  They say he's slow to respond.  He's also criticized for copying some of the stuff he makes, but in this case to body was modified way too much.  If I get one, I'll paint it metallic red or maroon and creme two-tone like Dad's Town Sedan was!

1 hour ago, Tiger89 said:

Thanks for your reply, Jean-Phillippe.  I sent Pedro a message on Facebook about the availability of this resin kit.  They say he's slow to respond.  He's also criticized for copying some of the stuff he makes, but in this case to body was modified way too much.  If I get one, I'll paint it metallic red or maroon and creme two-tone like Dad's Town Sedan was!

Hi David.

I personally know nothing about casting techniques and copying already existant bodies. I don't know how to work resin, or moulds etc etc.  So when somebody is working hard, for days, months, to study and create by hand a new scale model, I perfectly understand why it's so frustrating for the first maker to see someone else make a simple copy of the exact same model, and try to make a business out of it. It's stealing. We'll all agree with that. If 2 makers were offering the exact same model, I would never buy the model from the maker who'd have copied the other. 

But in the 1/25th Cadillac kits world nowadays...there is just nothing new ! .... JoHan ? yes of course so many models can be find again today but the company is dead....,  Modelhaus ?... unfortunately dead ! ,  Revell-Monogram ?...only the 59 Eldorados and some disproportioned lowrider customs that frankly aren't attractive at all ( for me ). Then, many other makers who were doing Cadillacs are long gone too, like R&R, Ben Packaz, All American Models etc etc...

So what's left ?

Paul Hettick ? Yes, Paul announced a few months ago that he was working on some Cadillacs, so I wish him to succeed and have for us great offerings soon. No need to talk about the quality of his next to come kits, they'll be fantastic....

Dan Decko ? yes, he's offering amazingly well done Cadillac resin kits, complete, WITH chromed parts, copies made from JoHan's Fleetwood 60S 1958 and 1961, as well as a coupe DeVille 1963. Is it immoral to buy them since they are copies ?. I hope they are no people to think so. Truth is it's a great alternative to have in one's collection these hard to find and almost all wrapped models now. 

Then Page Resin ? Maybe Pedro has made a few copies here and there...but, to my knowledge, nobody before him has ever created a 1970 Cadillac Sedan, nor this 1962 Sedan. Taking an already existant model and turn it into another version is not copying for me. Then, his models still need little detail corrections to be accurate, sometimes bodies aren't perfectly straight. Bumpers and hubcaps aren't chromed, which is getting really hard to have done nowadays. But he's the only one now on the market to propose variations. So, as I am not capable of casting models myself but just build them with minor transformation sometimes, I am extremely grateful Pedro's around to allow me to add my Cadillac collection new models. 

Hope Pedro will have a kit for you and of course I'll look forward to see your own build. :)

Thanks for your input.  Yeah, if I hear from Pedro, I'll order one of his 4-door hardtops, and it looks like he has a 2-door as well.  I'll probably try spraying Molotow through my airbrush for the chrome parts.

20 hours ago, avidinha said:

That came out fantastic! I also have a love for Cadillacs and have bought a few from Pedro, in fact I just finished one and I'll be posting it soon.

Thanks Andrew ! Yes saw it ! Nice looking cadillac. I made a Fleetwood Brougham out of Pedro's version. I'll probably buy one more to make a Sedan Deville too. ;)

• 1 month later...

Very nice.

Even I have a soft spot for these early Cadillac's ,  I have a builders of Johans  1959 and 1960 kits.

And an unbuilt USA oldies issue 64 Convertible that I managed to pick up an original issue set of the correct  front seats. And Ive been thinking I need to get back to the model bench here soon. And that 64 has been calling my name. So it might be the 1st one I  drag it out and build  here very soon

43 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Very nice.

Even I have a soft spot for these early Cadillac's ,  I have a builders of Johans  1959 and 1960 kits.

And an unbuilt USA oldies issue 64 Convertible that I managed to pick up an original issue set of the correct  front seats. And Ive been thinking I need to get back to the model bench here soon. And that 64 has been calling my name. So it might be the 1st one I  drag it out and build  here very soon

I kick myself every day for not ponying up and buying a Modelhaus 1961 Cadillac 2 door hard top!

One of my absolute favorite Caddy body styles.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
On 5 octobre 2019 at 5:19 PM, Dave Darby said:

Very nice job. I hope you meant latest build and not final build. I'd like to see what you come up with next.

Hi Dave, sorry for this late answer. I meant latest build of course ;) I am working on 3 Cadillacs right now. I had been extremely busy at work so I've lost time to work on them but I should post a finished one in a few weeks. Thanks so much for your kind words !

On 5 octobre 2019 at 6:46 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Another beauty, Jean-Philippe! So nice to see one of Pedro's resins so well finished. I imagine he used the roof from the AMT '62 Buick Electra. Will you be doing a '60 or '61 next?

Hi Chris ! Thanks so much for your kind words again ! . I have done a 1961 Coupe De Ville from Modelhaus 15 years ago. I have planned to do a 1961 4 windows Sedan. The kit and donor are on my desk but I have 3 other Cadillacs to finish first. So I hope to show you this new '61 next spring. ;) 

On 10/5/2019 at 6:22 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I kick myself every day for not ponying up and buying a Modelhaus 1961 Cadillac 2 door hard top!

One of my absolute favorite Caddy body styles.

Steve

I bought and built one of those years ago and was reeeeeal nervous when I moved recently as resin doesn't move as well as plastic when it comes to packing 'em up. I was worried about snapping the fins on that as they are ooohhh so thin!

It came out OK and I have it displayed in its case in my model room.

I can kick myself as well though as I REALLY wanted their '60 Eldorado Brougham! At the time when they were about to close up shop it was a choice of that or the '76 Coupe DeVille. Tough choice as I ended up getting the '76 as I can remember that car very well from my high school days and at one time had a new car brochure for it. Still want that '60 Brougham though as that was such a unique car for its time. ;)

56 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

I bought and built one of those years ago and was reeeeeal nervous when I moved recently as resin doesn't move as well as plastic when it comes to packing 'em up. I was worried about snapping the fins on that as they are ooohhh so thin!

It came out OK and I have it displayed in its case in my model room.

I can kick myself as well though as I REALLY wanted their '60 Eldorado Brougham! At the time when they were about to close up shop it was a choice of that or the '76 Coupe DeVille. Tough choice as I ended up getting the '76 as I can remember that car very well from my high school days and at one time had a new car brochure for it. Still want that '60 Brougham though as that was such a unique car for its time. ;)

Hi Bill !

I also bought the Modelhaus's Eldorado Brougham 1960 about 15 years ago. Amazing model. Build it at that time, with my unexperienced skills and a chassis that was, for an inexplicable reason, damaged and unfitting. My lady is due for a total restoration, with a proper chassis, new glasses ( glue fumes on them ). As my skills are better, I'll give her back the love she deserves. Until then, please enjoy these humble pics.

thumbnail_IMG_2384.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2383.jpg

Edited by Jeffcad

Ooooooooh! Jeff that is soooooo nice! I can see why Bill Mitchell like that design so much he based B-O-C's 1961-'64 four door hardtop C bodies based on that design! Maybe I'll get lucky and snag one off the 'Bay or at a show. I'd definitely like to build that one sometime.

As far as a chassis.............perhaps the Monogram '59 Caddy tweaked a bit? They were pretty much the same albeit shorter for the Brougham.