Model Cars Magazine Forum

Robots are invading ?

NYLIBUD

Saw this weird contraption in a supermarket yesterday..I mean are you kidding me,or what?I believe it’s main function is,If a call over the loud speaker says clean up in aisle 2,this stupid robot thing goes over to the spill,and I think it either cleans it,or it waits for an employee to come and clean it.But either way,it’s stupid and weird.Oh and I think it sweeps and polishes the floor all day and night...They even put eyes and a big smiley face on it.?

5F3B62F6-7877-45D2-B414-B6CFB2DE2BAD.jpeg

286DE713-701E-4225-90B0-ACFC414FDA55.jpeg

17 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Saw this weird contraption in a supermarket yesterday..I mean are you kidding me,or what?I believe it’s main function is,If a call over the loud speaker says clean up in aisle 2,this stupid robot thing goes over to the spill,and I think it either cleans it,or it waits for an employee to come and clean it.But either way,it’s stupid and weird.Oh and I think it sweeps and polishes the floor all day and night...They even put eyes and a big smiley face on it.?

Stop and Shop / Giant Supermarket chain...  we have them too. 

My high tech client on the west coast has these R2D2 guys screaming around the buildings, something to do with artificial reality, you have to watch where you step! 

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

...Parents are going to have to leave their kids at home or they'll have nightmares!

Yup.

Ahem...I started to post a bunch of pix of folks photographed in Walmart who are a lot scarier than a robot, but figgerin' that came too close to "abusive" behavior again, I'll just let y'all search for yourselves.

Personally, I vastly prefer robots to most humans.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

5F3B62F6-7877-45D2-B414-B6CFB2DE2BAD.jpeg

I'd be tempted to "accidentally" fall into that thing and see if I could knock it over. Or at least knock it into an expensive display of some sort. 

And then give my best Bluto-on-the-stairwell "Sorry...." look. :lol:  Or maybe, better yet, claim it attacked me first. :lol::lol:

I worked in the paint department at a local auto factory back in the 80's. We were installing paint robots in the booth that sprayed the bodies of pickup trucks. The computer geniuses were setting the spray patterns by hand, then logging them into the memory for each robot. Then, a scrap truck body was sent down the line to test the robots. All of them did their jobs, except one....when the truck got in front of it....POW!!!....the robot struck out like a rattlesnake and punched a hole in the door panel!! The techs tried to reboot it numerous times, with the same results. Us pipefitters named that robot "Renegade".

5 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Sorry, but that's just creepy!

Parents are going to have to leave their kids at home or they'll have nightmares!

Steve

Neah, remember that kids already live in a virtual reality  world full of electronic gadgets and AI (and with their noses in their smart-devices). They'll think that seeing robots is quite normal.

It is the old fogies like us who will have nightmares. :D

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

image.png.974b4c6f5f968e05cc2bd316d53d0c2c.png

My pool robot, Polaris!  

No,but you see your pool robot cleaner is a good idea.The supermarket robot is just plain weird.I actually also wanted to knock it over.It probably has a camera in it looking out for shoplifters.

55 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

No,but you see your pool robot cleaner is a good idea.The supermarket robot is just plain weird.I actually also wanted to knock it over.It probably has a camera in it looking out for shoplifters.

That same camera would take a picture of you beating it up, too!! LoL

2 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Yea, the robot would testify at your trial by playing back it's video of you knocking it over!

Edited by Tom Geiger

26 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

...or stand around with it's head up it's social-media apps all day, every day.

Or require medical insurance, maternity leave, a pension,  special work requirements, a safe place because of any kind of harassment.... get the picture?!

2 hours ago, JohnU said:

Or require medical insurance, maternity leave, a pension,  special work requirements, a safe place because of any kind of harassment.... get the picture?!

Yes, but it is very shortsighted (by those greedy executives replacing humans with robots).  If we make humans obsolete, nobody will be buying the products those robots manufacture. Plus, who will fix them if they break.