Model Cars Magazine Forum

Deora! What paint color is it really???

I saw the car at the Chicago Auto Show way long ago when I was still in school and the Auto Shop class went there!

I just cannot get it in my mind just what the color (other than a gold color) it was.

I've looked at magazine pictures and on line pictures but they just do not look like what I "THINK" (not a good thing for me to do according to my wife) I remember

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's what the restored Deora looks like, but keep in mind this is under a bunch of colored lights. I suspect metallics are especially sensitive to the type of light they're seen under:

image.png.d999758cac90fb410cedba94386ea609.png

image.png.9aa29069e03a79c8005c401ef57b2c9d.png

Mike Alexander himself told me that he thought the color on the Hot Wheels Deora was the closest he'd seen, so I tried to match that by experimenting and mixing several golds together until I got something I could live with. As I recall, this shot was taken outside on an overcast day.

image.png.b197c58ddd1b6be04fbf49203dc56854.png

10 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

Here's what the restored Deora looks like, but keep in mind this is under a bunch of colored lights. I suspect metallics are especially sensitive to the type of light they're seen under:

image.png.d999758cac90fb410cedba94386ea609.png

image.png.9aa29069e03a79c8005c401ef57b2c9d.png

Mike Alexander himself told me that he thought the color on the Hot Wheels Deora was the closest he'd seen, so I tried to match that by experimenting and mixing several golds together until I got something I could live with. As I recall, this shot was taken outside on an overcast day.

image.png.b197c58ddd1b6be04fbf49203dc56854.png

Awesome build Steve!

How did you fabricate your bed cover to get it to resemble the 1:1 original?

6 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

Sweet GTO Steve! How did you get the top mounted so good???

Lots of patience. 

Glued the front to the windshield frame first and worked the back on a couple days later. The trim strips hide the seams at the back.

I'm going to go with a brighter gold - maybe something like House of Color Pagan Gold Kandy over a white base coat.  This is based on an old, almost twenty year old memory - my memory usually expires well before that but this one is still pretty accurate.

Long ago, I built a Deora and panted it with what I had on hand which was a GM gold (could have been similar to the Tiger gold) over a gray primer. It came out Ok but a little darker than I wanted.  I figured good enough -  it will never be in the same room.  But then came chance to go to the Detroit Autorama and I took a couple of models to  display in the model contest.  The Alexander Brothers and several of their cars were featured that year.  You guessed it , the Deora was freshly restored and in the room.  I didn't even have to compare the two Deoras next to each other - it was obvious that mine was way off.  The Deora is a bright candy Gold.  The Alexander Brothers are known for their candy paint and the Deora is an excellent example.

hope this helps