Model Cars Magazine Forum

53 Slam-de-baker!

CabDriver

2 hours ago, espo said:

Your pattern design for the interior is ingenious. The finished panels look as good as any of the decal Leopard skins I have seen.   

I did look at some of those but it’s nice to have the mask so you can shoot the parts exactly the color you have in your head!  I’ll definitely be using this trick again!  

Did some more work on the bench seat this morning - got seatbelts in, added some photoetched bolt and rivet detail and made an adjustment lever with a clear orange glass handle:

0A001017-6F23-47CF-9B6A-BF3D79C79A51.thumb.jpeg.6030b55a7b1ca279633d40f42ae964fd.jpeg

More soon, thanks for looking fellas!

Next job I wanted to tackle was the shift knob - I was going to carve one out of some wood or styrene tube but I thought it would be a fun test of my vinyl cutter to see if it would cut something as tiny as a tiki face for a novelty shifter - turns out it will! 
134D5593-9BBD-4F84-8072-26ACD54E85BC.thumb.jpeg.443c63ebd77b6166b53b6ca8afafd3f9.jpeg

Whilst I was installing that I used some of Eric Ritz’s favorite o-rings to make a shifter boot and added a couple of photo etch screws for a little detail 

More soon!

Dash in place!  I used the cutter to make some glass for the gauge faces, Createx for the nice metal flake-looking wheel and a couple of other little bits...not that you can see most of this when the tub’s in the body anyway ?

DDF5328B-551C-4A26-BFDB-51EDCC2AADA6.thumb.jpeg.ad4b1282f4779bc6ec9037c91cebb7f5.jpeg

0F450A2A-2536-4D46-A84A-C2DEB1F8268E.thumb.jpeg.00077d97b4b39258555ad3a2932e283b.jpeg

Need to put an engine together and then I can start finishing this thing ??. More soon!

50 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi! 

Impressive interior. Have you tought of a name for that style? Post-industrial TiKi? Hawaïan Bomber? 

Just curious...

CT

Haha!  Those are good!

I guess if it were a bar it would be a tiki bar.  Fun to be in for an hour or two, but you wouldn’t want to LIVE there ?

Edited by CabDriver

This is looking good Jim. The toned down rust looks better. 

On the Astro van, Chevy was repainting trucks from that era fro having paint adhesion problems.  I bet that van started out down south in the sun baking states.  The front fenders look just like the trucks I have seen before the repaint from Chevy. Ford had the same problems back then. 

On 11/15/2019 at 3:04 PM, 1930fordpickup said:

On the Astro van, Chevy was repainting trucks from that era fro having paint adhesion problems.  I bet that van started out down south in the sun baking states.  The front fenders look just like the trucks I have seen before the repaint from Chevy. Ford had the same problems back then. 

Huh!!  Interesting!!!  I didn’t know that - that would certainly explain it!  Even the 30 and 40 year old Ford vans driving around here didn’t look as bad as that Astro so I wondered what had happened to it.  Fascinating!

Spent yesterday doing some assembly on this thing - I’ve found that I really like Elmer’s rubber cement for holding interior tubs in.  It stays tacky nice and long so you can get the body over the tub without snapping the glue joints like you would with CA, but then seems to set up plenty strong enough to hold it all in place:

4A2F9D0B-4747-4563-B88F-3BE59F82D65A.thumb.jpeg.b46694d3a5521378e1de82a5fde7b37f.jpeg

I got kinda carried away with getting the engine together and didn’t really take any pics, but it’s in there!  Added an aftermarket resin air filter and a few wires and doodads:

851DEE80-7B23-4D4F-A2BD-276EE68C252F.thumb.jpeg.bde894b0afaf356ed012fac5d8b5364c.jpeg

71B4316A-6798-4365-8601-DDB559DB3658.thumb.jpeg.3844b49933877f86051d3d9c8ba61915.jpeg

And today I need to attach the wheels, the exhaust and a couple of little details and I can call this one done!  

That swamp cooler wouldn't last long in the real world, the reason you see them on the other side is that the passenger doesn't have to roll down the window if they are stopped by the police, and it would get raked off by oncoming traffic, I've even had the trailer towing mirrors hit by oncoming traffic and that's bad enough but can you imagine how much damage that big ol' tin can could do if an oncoming delivery truck caught it with a side mirror. And don't worry the driver gets plenty of the cool air, and if he wants more just re-aim the air duct fins.?