Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pinto crash test

NYLIBUD

I've been told by my boyfriend (who is older than me) that the whole Pinto thing was put together by either Nader or a news agency at the time... I never looked into it as it would only make me mad.  But supposedly you could see in the footage the cars exploding slit-seconds BEFORE impact.  BUT again, don't quote me on that.  And with the state of the internet these days, any footage showing that has probably been scrubbed from view... 

1 hour ago, Nells250 said:

I've been told by my boyfriend (who is older than me) that the whole Pinto thing was put together by either Nader or a news agency at the time... I never looked into it as it would only make me mad.  But supposedly you could see in the footage the cars exploding slit-seconds BEFORE impact.  BUT again, don't quote me on that.  And with the state of the internet these days, any footage showing that has probably been scrubbed from view... 

I would never put it past "some" folks to fudge things in order to make things appear in their favor.

But I highly doubt that Ford would "fake" their own crash tests against themselves.

Steve

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:15 PM, Nells250 said:

Don't get mixed up with NBC putting model rocket engines in pick up tanks when they ran an expose on GM pickups with 'exploding' gas tanks.

greg

8 hours ago, espo said:

I always thought it was the responsibility of vehicle drivers to not run into each other. Some drivers just can't be saved from themselves I guess. 

That would be fine by me, but the big problem is that they affect lives (and deaths) of other people.

On 12/16/2019 at 3:28 PM, Nells250 said:

No, FORD didn't fake them, like I said it was either Nader or/and one news organization.  I'll have to ask my boyfriend what he remembers about it.

It was 20/20 that did this and they lost a court case over it. The cars had a flaw that Ford felt was not worth the cheap small part to stop the problem. Nothing to do with Nader and his crazy thoughts. 

16 hours ago, peteski said:

That would be fine by me, but the big problem is that they affect lives (and deaths) of other people.

I should clarify what I meant by driver. That would be the driver running into the Pinto in this case. The person driving the Pinto would have little or no control over what happens when hit from behind. I also agree with you about the people that are effected or even killed because of the other drivers error. 

The station wagons made cool little Pincheros! Helped build a few some with V8's!

Sold my 69 Chevelle with a 396 (402) 4 speed for 900 bucks, (yeah, I know but that was all it would sell for back then! worse yet they made a street stock out of it!) and on my way home saw a pretty blue wagon for sale. Ran and drove great had onlt 60,000 miles on it. He wanted a 1000 for it and I bought it for 750.

On the drive home I started hearing a noise that got louder and louder and pulled over to check. It had developed a rod knock!!!

Was so disgusted I just stuck a for sale sign on it. My father-in-law found a motor for 200 bucks in a low mileage wrecked pinto but I was still ticked and turned it down.

Wound up with some old guy buying it for 550 dollars and I told him where the motor was for sale.

Two years later saw him filling it with gas and pulled it to talk to him. I was surprised he still had it and asked if he got that motor but he said he didn't need it.

When he left he started it up and the dang thing was still knocking just as loud and when he bought it two years before!LOL

The ones I worked on for other people mostly had carb issues. We usually replaced them with a Webber.