Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari F189 (late version) - Tamiya 1:20

Pete75

My second model build, completed in October 2019. Body: Tamiya TS-8/13. Tobacco/tyre decals: from eBay, sold as Decalpool (not sure if they were). Carbon decal: Tamiya Extra Fine Twill. Reflective lining: Bare Metal Chrome. Radiator hose: Evergreen 0212 styrene rod. Fuel cap: drilled sprue. Hydraulic/oil radiator lines: painted electrical fuse wire. Overall I found it quite challenging, not least wrestling with the bodywork in an attempt to get it sort of in line. I think if I were to do it again - or any single seater, for that matter - I would be more mindful about the big picture and test fitting from the outset, rather than narrowly focusing on individual segments and hoping that it all marries up in the end. All part of the learning process!

1522088785_f189(20).thumb.jpg.21ec4e91669321cc88c761b3d538f11c.jpg

703084413_f189(3).thumb.jpg.d80bed3c5441fa7c0bfcbb12abd2f9a2.jpg2087703402_f189(16).thumb.jpg.40987c3aef31d35462bebacd453ade85.jpg731079540_f189(15).thumb.jpg.ca0fe5c19f3351766321816ffc3c4220.jpg255512796_f189(1).thumb.jpg.3413a1a9887f0954557d7f6269bb2f2c.jpg825624150_f189(14).thumb.jpg.3a82e9335c94f00864a53eb0b8c32569.jpg1303458525_f189(7).thumb.jpg.17bfda9d35769f0369cc6663007b2eee.jpg65500400_f189(19).thumb.jpg.0bc189b79906648df531497cd750ff99.jpg1336701576_f189(8).thumb.jpg.243fb2e44d0a3f166a6b5111a9623103.jpg

Always luv a good F1 build and Ferrari's are my favorite. You did a nice job and the CF work is good. Helpful hint....you can make a small u-shaped  clip to hold the top bodywork to the bottom. Paint it red and you will barely notice it. Almost all F-1 body work springs up and this is necessary.  I do this a lot. 

4 hours ago, afx said:

Very nice Pete.

2 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Very impressive build.

Thanks JC & Gary ?

2 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Always luv a good F1 build and Ferrari's are my favorite. You did a nice job and the CF work is good. Helpful hint....you can make a small u-shaped  clip to hold the top bodywork to the bottom. Paint it red and you will barely notice it. Almost all F-1 body work springs up and this is necessary.  I do this a lot. 

Cheers for the tip Rich - appreciate it ? Believe it or not the "lid" is actually being pulled down by magnets already - and this was after surgery as well... The thing just didn't really want to respect my wishes!

19 hours ago, Racersonly said:

Nice work, Peter. The 1:20 Tamiya and Ebbro F1 kits have turned out to be the best of my builds.

13 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

10 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Looks GREAT!!! -keep'em coming, bud!!!!

Thanks guys ? All plaudits are very welcome, especially after a battle like this one!

1 hour ago, Nacho Z said:

Great looking Ferrari, Peter! Such a beautiful F1 in 1:1 and you’ve captured it well!

1 hour ago, bbowser said:

Love seeing open-wheel cars being built, this one is outstanding!  Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

Oh my GOSH!! That is one mighty fine looking build you've got there Pete!! Lotsa details!!! 

John, Bruce & Joe go straight on to my list of favourite people! ? Cheers guys ? 

1 hour ago, Nells250 said:

Nice!  I sold a lot of my unbuilt Ferrari F1 kits because I know so little about them, I can't detail them... so it is nice to see one built by another person!  

Thanks Jonelle! I had to do quite a bit of research & found out that F1 cars are definitely a lot of work! ?

Do you happen to know roughly, off the top of your head, when they began using carbon fiber on them?  Maybe I'll luck out and the kits I still have were pre-carbon fiber... would be a lot cheaper and less work to build!

?

Also, do older F1's usually survive into private collections?  I wonder... have never looked into that one.  I mean, you can't drive them many places.  Sorta eye candy.  Though there is one that makes the museum-rounds here in New England.  I took some detail photos at a show once, just in case.  If they do tend to be saved, then in today's snap-happy world there must be some modern photos to go by.   

22 minutes ago, Nells250 said:

Do you happen to know roughly, off the top of your head, when they began using carbon fiber on them?  Maybe I'll luck out and the kits I still have were pre-carbon fiber... would be a lot cheaper and less work to build!

?

Also, do older F1's usually survive into private collections?  I wonder... have never looked into that one.  I mean, you can't drive them many places.  Sorta eye candy.  Though there is one that makes the museum-rounds here in New England.  I took some detail photos at a show once, just in case.  If they do tend to be saved, then in today's snap-happy world there must be some modern photos to go by.   

Hi Jonelle ? Doesn't come off the top of my head, but revealed by a rapid search: the answer to your first question is that McLaren were the first F1 team to use a carbon fibre monocoque in the 1981 season. On the issue of older F1 cars, then I would say that virtually all are preserved and cherished (at great expense!) in private ownership somewhere or another. Although it's pretty rare to see the cars (of any age) in the flesh, there are lots of detailed photos are out there. The simplest place to start looking for reference pics is Google Images or ask MCM members - in my short time here,  it seems the terrific members are only too pleased to share their expertise! ?

32 minutes ago, Nells250 said:

?

Go to F1m site. They would have the answers. A lot of older F1 cars ended up tossed. There are a number of them from the 60's-70's that show up at vintage events, like at Elkhart Lake in Wisconsin.

Perry