Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Ford Galaxie Street Racer

beeRS

I just discovered this thread. I really like what you're doing here! I wish I had your attention span and patience. Drive on! B)

BTW, REALLY nice job taking the badges off the rear fenders but leaving the trim strip. That's not easy to do. Well done! 

• 3 years later...
On 5/15/2020 at 6:11 PM, Jantrix said:

Terrific work. I'll be following.

Thanks 👍

On 5/16/2020 at 3:48 AM, slusher said:

Excellent craftsmanship!

Thanks👍

On 5/16/2020 at 2:16 PM, Snake45 said:

I just discovered this thread. I really like what you're doing here! I wish I had your attention span and patience. Drive on! B)

BTW, REALLY nice job taking the badges off the rear fenders but leaving the trim strip. That's not easy to do. Well done! 

Thanks - I wish I had the attention span I used to have too! I really need to crack on with this one.

Sorry it's been rather a long time since I updated this one. The following is work that was carried out a few years ago - around 2013-2014 (crikey - this project is 10 years old!). The images were 'lost'. I have slowly been finding them, and I think I have them all for the work done so far. Pictures were originally uploaded to Image shack, but when they started charging I did not subscribe. Other pictures were on an old PC, which I've recently been sifting through. Anyway, enough of my waffling - here's some more progress...

Scratch made sump (oil pan) in the style of a baffeled after-market item (eg Moroso).

large_(1).jpg

I scratch built a semi-roll cage from plastic rod. A little warming with a candle flame to make the bends. This is just a partial cage, as this Galaxie is just meant to be a steet racer - not a competition car.

large_(10).jpg

large_(11).jpg

large_(12).jpg

large_(13).jpg

large_(14).jpg

The cross member under the engine is now a removable part. This is the only way I can get the block in/out.

large_(15).jpg

The heater box moulded into the firewall does not match any referance pics I can find for the '65 Galaxie, so I scatch built a new one.

large_(3).jpg

large_(4).jpg

A coat of white primer from a rattle can.

large_(7).jpg

large_(6).jpg

More to follow soon... 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 66belair said:

Glad to see this one up and going. IMG_1262.thumb.jpeg.8a29dc6b22cdf14332f8a215b2fd5274.jpegIMG_1514.thumb.jpeg.cf37552d1a80b402f28d7d27e00a110c.jpegThis is an amazing build, this one is close to my heart.  I own 3 1:1 Galaxies and that is my favorite AMT kit also.

I like the white one - especially with those wheels.

• Like 1

The first coat of white primer was just so that everything was the same colour, and I could check the overall finish. I decided that the hood scoop should have a blended in look to depict a glass fibre light weight item, so I added putty along the edges.

P1240936.jpg

P1240992.jpg

P1240993.jpg

The firewall gets a little more work.

P1240940.jpg

The curve of the trunk lid was not quite right, so this got a little correction.

P1240990.jpg

Some kind of horrible reaction where the primer did not like the underside of the bonnet. I have no idea what happened here??

P1250220.jpg

The roof got a few coats of Ford Ermine White. Again, this was with a rattle can. I have the paint left over after some work I did on my own 1:1 car. It's a creamy white that seemed just right for a 60's car.

P1250921.jpg

P1250923.jpg

The paint went on far too thick, but that's what you get with an aerosol can I guess.

P1250930.jpg

I masked off the roof, ready for primer of the main part of the body

P1250939.jpg

Red primer.

P1250942.jpg

P1250943.jpg

And at this point, as if I had not gone far enough down the rabbit hole of over detailing, I decided to scratch build the slam panel details. This is not normally what you do after priming!

P1250945.jpg

P1250946.jpg

P1250949.jpg

P1250955.jpg

P1250952.jpg

Here's where things took a turn for the worse. I used a Halfords rattle can. I can't remember the name of the red, but it did not work over the red primer. The primer was a very dark red, and the red paint was supposed to be a bright red. I'm sure it doesn’t look too bad in the pictures, but the darkness of the primer just bled through. The red kind of wicked away from the sharp edges and it just looked HORRIBLE! none of this would show on camera.

P1250960.jpg

P1250961.jpg

At this stage, disheartened, I put the project back in the box. I vowed to go away and learn how to paint using an airbrush and some better paints. All the pictures so far were from 2013/2014. This brings this thread right up to date now.

Nearly 10 years later I think I'm ready to continue. I hope things work out better this time.

beRS the first car posted is actually Arcadia Blue, it’s very faded. It’s some what if a survivor car. Original headliner, door panels, carpet and some original paint. It has a full Hotchkis TVS system and big Wilwood brakes. It’s my my baby.

• Like 1