Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Ford Galaxie 500 (AMT)

Tommy124

8 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Nice work Thomas!

Seems like you don't see many of these built anymore.

I suspect with the Round 2 re-release, we will begin to see a few more of them.

Steve

I have a couple two or three in the stash. I gotta get one going. I always liked the '63 better than the other years of that era.

3 hours ago, Bucky said:

I have a couple two or three in the stash. I gotta get one going. I always liked the '63 better than the other years of that era.

I'll bet I've had at least a half dozen of these over the years, and I probably have at least 3 of them still in my possession, yet I don't believe that I have ever finished one.

Sad, because I've always liked the look of the '63.

I really should build a Chestnut XL someday.

A good friend of mine owned one right out of high school.

Steve

Thanks again for your feedback, gentlemen! 

12 hours ago, Slimguy said:

Thomas...great job on the Galaxie...I am just about to build the same kit for a friend of mine who had one in the mid 1960's...any advice on the build or issues I need to be watchful for as I begin this build?  

Thanks David, this is a very simple kit but it works very well in its simplicity. For instance, the way that the interior tub is fixed to the body, the body is fixed to the chassis - using the good old "male/female fixing" technique, it's just working great. You'll have to add some BMF and painting details to the interior and deal with quite a lot of BMF'ling on the body. But that's not unusual for a kit of that era. There really are no "traps" that have to be considered. It has to be said though, that the engine detail is a downside on this kit. As are the kit's metal axles . But then again, when building such an old kit, I really do not bother too much. 

16 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Nice work Thomas!

Seems like you don't see many of these built anymore.

I suspect with the Round 2 re-release, we will begin to see a few more of them.

Thanks Steve. It would be great to see a re-release of this kit. I might be tempted to build another one, this time in the Lightweight version. 

13 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Looks like it came right out of a 63 Ford sales brochure!

I'll take that as a compliment! :rolleyes: Actually, I got the idea for the color scheme from this image on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Galaxie#/media/File:1963_Ford_Galaxie_sedan_2_--_06-05-2010.jpg

Edited by Tommy124