Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Dodge Challenger Sam Posey Inspired

Been working on this Revell Challenger for a while. Converting from a road car to a race car. Interior done. Guards flared. Exhaust system nearly ready for paint.  Got the correct FJ5 paint for the body. Note: This build is being done to a budget of time and money, and does not completely reflect either the original pictures of the Sam Posey cars or the restored car which is quite different going by pictures. I have however taken some ideas from some of the trans am builds on this and other forums.

Mike

IMG_20200214_133048_compress71[1].jpg

IMG_20200214_203352_compress78[1].jpg

IMG_20200214_203407_compress89[1].jpg

IMG_20200214_203802_compress50[1].jpg

IMG_20200214_203811_compress50[1].jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looking very nice, with special reference to your flares which certainly impress.  If it would save you a step or steps, go for a very flat finish on the top.  I'll try to attach a period photo that might telegraph that the topic looked duller in period versus how the car appears at present.  The spec. seen in the photo is from the '70 Mid-Ohio race date.  Thanks...

2019088937_1970MidOhiopit.jpg.e648d7c605b7e5989c990c856bfe91cd.jpg

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70

Thanks for the info there Swede. Yeah interesting to see the roof is flat black originally. Good spotting. Do you know if the hood air intake is the same flat black? I will have to compare that flat black to my other parts I have painted Tamiya flat black and Tamiya semi gloss black to compare.

Nice photo choices/contributions AFX/J.C.  One can set up quite a neat contrast between finishes for careful paint selection here.  Although really hard to do, the vinyl tape stripes contrast a little with the flatter finish seen on the door numerals (topside too!) as well.  As for the top, it seems the team had a dreadful time keeping the finish neat looking as it often appears blotchy in period photos.  Little wonder the restored vehicle has an easier to care for semigloss finish applied to it.  

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Lizard Racing said:

Did you scratch-build the cage? Finish is outstanding! A good representation of a little-known racer. Too bad the MoPar entries (Gurney and Autodynamics) were overshadowed by the Ford and AMC efforts. 1970 was the pinnacle year for the Trans Am.

Yep, I bent styrene rod over a flame to shape. Thanks