Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

18 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Whoever has it.........I want this PYRO kit..........

It is a variation of the Serpent so if it is around.....R2  has it.

LARAMIE.JPG

Seems as if we're in the same spot we were a couple of years ago...the chrome tree exists and its whereabouts are known but the location of the vehicle moulds, if they exist, are known only to a few.  

You'll recall, that back in 2010 on the Showrods boards, a mystery man named "Pete" claimed that Atlantis had the Stage Ghost moulds but not the chrome mould.  He was trying to secure the chrome parts so that Atlantis could get the Stage Ghost reissued.

Long story short - 13 years later and we don't know anything more.

So - OPEN QUESTION TO ROUND2 AND ATLANTIS - WHICH OF YOU HAS THE MOULDS TO THE PYRO LARAMIE STAGE GHOST AND ARE THERE ANY PLANS TO REISSUE IT?   

Edited by showrods
  • Like 2

The Revell Buick nailhead stand-alone parts pack usually brings pretty crazy money these days, so I'd kinda think it'd be a quick seller, at least initially.

As stated above, it is based on tooling shared with the Ivo kit, but unfortunately can't be built stock without bashing it with parts from the Revell '30 Ford kits (entirely different engine tooling with inaccurate exhaust port spacing, but including a stock timing cover and carbed intake manifold).

And neither engine has stock valve covers, but R&M to the rescue in resin.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

Well, until Revell digs up the molds, this is should do in a pinch, if you really want a Buick in your rod.

I appreciate the effort to direct us towards another scale Nailhead. I'm a big fan, so getting another one in scale would just be a bonus, hence my hope they finally bring it out in one of these Keelers Kustoms since it was ignored in the rerelease of the other engines back in the late 90's. There are quite a few Nailheads in scale of varying degrees of accuracy, but I won't rehash those in this Atlantis thread.

13 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The Revell Buick nailhead stand-alone parts pack usually brings pretty crazy money these days, so I'd kinda think it'd be a quick seller, at least initially.

As stated above, it is based on tooling shared with the Ivo kit, but unfortunately can't be built stock without bashing it with parts from the Revell '30 Ford kits (entirely different engine tooling with inaccurate exhaust port spacing, but including a stock timing cover ann carbed intake manifold).

And neither engine has stock valve covers, but R&M to the rescue in resin.

R+M actually sells the other "stock' parts to help us convert the Ivo engines to a more conventional setup. Not sure if they are still in his catalog anymore

RM 21

Again, my understanding from the owner of Atlantis is that the Parts Pack Buick tooling or a clone of it, in its entirety, is being readied for a future release of some sort.  At this point, I'd say we can count on it, only unresolved points being when and in what kit form it appears.  

In the meantime, if you are building a scale Nailhead for street use (other than 100% factory stock), my own personal view is that the overall Nailhead in the first issue Revell Model A Roadster Hot Rod and second issue Revel A Five Window Coupe Hot Rod, questionable exhaust port spacing notwithstanding, is still the best kit source for that application.  For competition use, I'd place the Revell Parts Pack Nailhead and the unobtanium Monogram Uncertain T at or near the of the pack..TB

Best...TB 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Ah, now THERE'S an old Monogram kit I wish would get the Tijuana Taxi/Rommel's Rod treatment.

Given the nonsense regarding that kit, I'm not sure I can ever see that happening with original gentleman passing away and someone in his family being willing to license it.

Question for anyone who knows - the Roth Tweedy Pie ‘car-toon’ kit there…is that the same as the regular kit besides the big oval wheels and the Roth figure?  

Or did they tool up an entirely new kit?

Edited by CabDriver

4 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Question for anyone who knows - the Roth Tweedy Pie ‘car-toon’ kit there…is that the same as thr regular kit besides the big oval wheels and the Roth figure?  

Or did they tool up an entirely new kit?

Same kit.  The Revell reissue Outlaw/Robbin Hood Fink kit was similar: added figure plus two-piece wheel/tire units, no decals.  The reissue had plated parts same as the "base" kit, not sure if the original was like that.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Mark said:

Same kit.  The Revell reissue Outlaw/Robbin Hood Fink kit was similar: added figure plus two-piece wheel/tire units, no decals.  The reissue had plated parts same as the "base" kit, not sure if the original was like that.

Well, that’s awesome!  I wanted to build a Tweedy Pie so that’ll be a good opportunity to switch out the wheels and build one!

Revell issued a fully restored Tweedy Pie a few years back, apparently it didn't sell well and was out only a short time.  The new parts needed for the restoration were probably tooled and molded in China, so Atlantis didn't get those, only the basic kit and probably some tooling done in North America much earlier.  We'll have to wait and see just what will be in the Atlantis reissue.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 9:38 AM, Kit Karson said:

Another source for detailed Buick Nailhead engines appears in the Revell Tony Nancy 22 JR Roadster 1-25 Scale Plastic Model Kit H-1224-200 

Also same basic tooling as the Ivo Showboat and parts pack versions, but with stock-ish valve covers and the obvious blower, blower drive, front cover, and manifold.

Revell tended to reuse the masters for their engines, which was smart because it made them consistent.  All of the small-block Chevy engines have similar long blocks, so the intake setup and valve covers from any of them will drop onto any of the others.  Same goes for the Cadillac, Pontiac, Buick, Chrysler, and Ford FE engines (though the Parts Pack FE has that rear mounted distributor setup). 

3 hours ago, Mark said:

Yes, original-issue Tweedy Pie with Boss Fink had plated parts same as the base kit. Outlaw with Robbin Hood Fink original issue was the same.

• Like 1

Looks like the Cadillac to me.

With the Atlantis versions of those parts pack based kits no longer being two cars in one kit, Atlantis has been putting two engines into each kit. With fewer available engine packs (one Chevy engine was integrated into the '57 Chevy, the Chrysler engine is now in the Studebaker funny car) we will be seeing these engines time and time again.  Hopefully they'll at least get the Buick engine into circulation, the Pontiac should start turning up too.  That would leave only the turbine, which Revell never used in its double kits because it probably doesn't fit any of the chassis.

• Like 1

That is an astute observation, Mark.

Kinda sad though, as the majority of the dragsters back then seemed to have run the Chevy Small Block and various Hemi's. So to be more authentic, you really need on of those engines. This does not mean that you would not find FE or Caggy Engines, just not as often. It would be nice to the Buick and Pontiac engines back.

Edit: Looks like Atlantis has cloned the Revell Parts Pack Small Block Chevy. SElling it Chromed even.

https://atlantis-models.com/custom-car-parts-series-1957-chevy-283-engine-chromed-1/25-scale-atlantis/

Custom Car Parts Series 1957 Chevy 283 Engine Chromed 1/25 scale Atlantis

Edited by stavanzer

3 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Edit: Looks like Atlantis has cloned the Revell Parts Pack Small Block Chevy. SElling it Chromed even.

https://atlantis-models.com/custom-car-parts-series-1957-chevy-283-engine-chromed-1/25-scale-atlantis/

That is the same Chevy parts pack that was part of a group of 4 engine packs Revell issued in the 90’s. The other 3 were the FE Ford, Cadillac and Pontiac. So these 4 engines survived as stand alone.

AA64429E-5D88-4B45-A4E8-E1C7781CB2D6.jpeg.ad36a95a2936fbe0dc14c16257fe3711.jpeg

Edited by Dennis Lacy
  • Like 2