Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

Looks like Atlantis has done the hard work of recreating the Tires and Wheels that were rumored to be the reason that Revell never brought back the 1962 MOPAR Models.

If they are truly coming back, that will be another Nostalgia Home Run. And, IIRC, Tim Boyd highly recommended the '62 Revell kits as "Main-Streamers".

It will be good to have them back 60 year old tooling or not.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, John M. said:

Agreed. I read something online not long ago that stated China has claimed the tooling that was sent over there by the current Revell owners as state property. 

Going into business with China is a tangled web. Anything that is created there, they own. If you want to be informed the book '100 year Marathon' details what it is like to partner with China.  Thx

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

I am surprised, but not by much, that Revell gave up these molds as they last used it in 2011!

image.png.f16534c891712c41e3e0eb82e2decb91.png

The kit pictured in Jesse's post above was the only time Revell-Monogram ever used the 1973-ish molds for a reissue.  Other than that, the tooling has gone unused for over 50 years now.  So happy to see Peter V and his team purse a complete reissue of the original model, including period-correct livery and licensing.  Way to go, Atlantis!   TB. 

• Like 2

I'm wondering about the Tom Daniel Vette

The chassis and engine went to the "Black Rat"/"Stingray" '65 and then to the stock '65 so that brings up a bunch of questions about what they have and if it's enough to actually produce a kit.

I really hope they do have everything needed to put it out though as I also want one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

I'm wondering about the Tom Daniel Vette

The chassis and engine went to the "Black Rat"/"Stingray" '65 and then to the stock '65 so that brings up a bunch of questions about what they have and if it's enough to actually produce a kit.

I really hope they do have everything needed to put it out though as I also want one. 

I think it became this after Tom Daniels left. 

image.png.f412c5ca7f0080cb599ad19c9f3704f9.png

TD Corvettes.

Looking at instructions online, it appears that the '65 Black Rat, the Corvette SS Hatchback and the TD California Street Vette all share some parts and similar tooling.

The SS Hatch and the TD Street Vette have many of the same part numbers.

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1004/monogram-2212-corvette-ss-hatchback

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/233/monogram-7504-california-street-vette

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1649/monogram-2724-vette-black-rat

And the 4 Door Corvette America, which seems to be a different tool. Note the Changes in Rear Axle and Air Cleaner.

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/monogram-instructions/show-rods/monogram-corvette-a/?view=roll#1

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Should be interesting to see if the Newport has mag wheels; the Metalflake issue had them. Wheels in the Valiant and Lancer were way undersized IIRC...

The wheels were one of the weakest parts of the Revell '62 Mopar kits: They were all terribly undersized. However the mags from the fullsize cars do look really nice as 13" wheels for the compacts...

Despite their shortcomings, I really hope that all of these kits get reissued!!!

It'll be interesting to see if Atlantis acquired the tooling for the "Revellion" (including the Tony Nancy "22Jr." double-kit) as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

I think it became this after Tom Daniels left. 

image.png.f412c5ca7f0080cb599ad19c9f3704f9.png

I'm not quite sure if the SS Hatchback was a Tom Daniel design as well. In any case the tooling for the California Street Vette was slightly altered in the late seventies to allow simultaneous production of both models (the countersunk part of the roof for the louvered insert was opened, as the SS Hatchback had a clear sunroof). 

As previously mentioned, the tooling was partially shared with the '65 Corvette which was issued in two different versions (the "Black Rat" Street Machine, and a Factory Stock with correct Big Block hood). To the best of my knowledge the kit was last reissued in 2005, where it was modified into the 1966 Penske Racing Corvette.    

IIRC the 4-door "Corvette America" was a separate tool, largely based on some of the same masters. This kit was later modified into the Miami Vice "Daytona". 

Thinking about the 2 vettes, both 69 Camaros orange and cream, 66 Malibus red and black and 55 Chevys yellow and black were all out at the same time in the 70’s and 80’s. Maybe others I can’t think of. 2 tools for each car?

20 hours ago, stavanzer said:

TD Corvettes.

Looking at instructions online, it appears that the '65 Black Rat, the Corvette SS Hatchback and the TD California Street Vette all share some parts and similar tooling.

The SS Hatch and the TD Street Vette have many of the same part numbers.

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1004/monogram-2212-corvette-ss-hatchback

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/233/monogram-7504-california-street-vette

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1649/monogram-2724-vette-black-rat

And the 4 Door Corvette America, which seems to be a different tool. Note the Changes in Rear Axle and Air Cleaner.

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/monogram-instructions/show-rods/monogram-corvette-a/?view=roll#1

Hope this helps.

Dave V. If you look at the linked Instructions you'll see the the 4 door Vette is different tooling than the TD Vette.

In Fact, I think the 4 Door derives from the Monogram Corvette Street Machine (kit 2259)

Mono-2259-2.jpg.4b0df41faf793f868924c637ab4d7449.jpg

5 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Dave V. If you look at the linked Instructions you'll see the the 4 door Vette is different tooling than the TD Vette.

In Fact, I think the 4 Door derives from the Monogram Corvette Street Machine (kit 2259)

Mono-2259-2.jpg.4b0df41faf793f868924c637ab4d7449.jpg

I wonder how close this is to the '78 pace car kit that's been reissued several times.

Seems it might be the same kit with the IMSA flares and other bits added but I've never had a chance to compare them.

Just now, Can-Con said:

I wonder how close this is to the '78 pace car kit that's been reissued several times.

Seems it might be the same kit with the IMSA flares and other bits added but I've never had a chance to compare them.

I'd have to look at the '78 Pace directions, but I believe you are correct, Steve.

The blue custom pictured is indeed based on the '78 pace car.  I still have the pace car (I collect those), and had the custom at one time.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mark said:

The blue custom pictured is indeed based on the '78 pace car.  I still have the pace car (I collect those), and had the custom at one time.  

I think it might be the other way 'round. The Custom is from 1977 I think.....

The only kits I'm missing are the Valiant V-200 and the Newport.

6 hours ago, espo said:

Wonder if they will ever reissue the '62 Dodge Lancer GT or the Plymouth Valiant?  

What's to wonder about? If Atlantis has the molds, they'll be produced. If you noticed, the '57 Nomad box was visible in the Instagram clip. It looks like it'll be in the catalog soon. The holdup was with the kit glass. That also might be the problem with these two. Both share the same glass. I test fitted the glass from from an SMP '60 Valiant and it fit perfectly in the Revell Lancer and vice-versa. For whatever reason, H-1251, my Fury kit, has the wrong glass. It's for the V-200. Go figure.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I see a few movie car builds in those Revell 62 Mopar kits.....hope we get them all..........

Someone in the hobby biz said 2025 at Atlantis was going to be BIG!! 

It's a mad mad mad mad world.

• Like 2