Model Cars Magazine Forum

This model was intended to be a paint experiment. I wanted to try Splash paints and 2K clear. Colors chosen were Deep Impact Blue and Rosso Scuderia for the red. White was Tamiya TS26.  Masking proved to be difficult but do-able. the two piece body  greatly aided in the separation of blue and red. Must say the Splash paints performed admirably and laid down very well. They are extremely flat but when the clear is applied they come to life. Once the body was done and cured the incentive was there to finish the kit off. I am very pleased with this kit as the fit  (with exception of back window) was excellent. The body in particular snapped down over the chassis and stayed in place with no glue or pins required. Revell has stepped up to the plate on this  one. See the captions under the pictures for more details. Thank for looking. 

DSC07012.JPG.321b87ff5103572bb80a6bfeedcc88b7.JPG

The body  all sprayed and clear coated, sitting in the sun to cure. 

DSC07016.JPG.a7572757e1086b536a72d1fec2b374ec.JPG

The chassis was very detailed and required much detail painting. Too bad most of this is covered when the body goes on so I always take pictures first. 

DSC07017.JPG.59187c367a02d68abc01424fc9df0647.JPGMuch wiring was added to the interior. Sorry about the bad photo but I hadn't planned on taking the body off to take another. I thought with the large windscreen it would be visible but, alas it was not. 

DSC07024.JPG.6d68c79f86da6968fc6647a661a4c8cd.JPGAll finished and decalled. I paid special attention to the color of the wheels. It was Alclad burnt iron with a misting of copper. Interesting color. The kit wheels did not steer but it was a fairly ea sy conversion.  I also added the carbon fibre to the sills and the front.

DSC07025.JPG.10e8e23cb7f3ec5e7793e2b10658f862.JPG

The business end of the car. Some very interesting aerodynamics. Rear window has the engine scoop sticking straight up through it. The scoop had to be carefully glued in the exact position for it to clear and the only way to find out was to attach the body. Suffice to say it wasn't and some careful filing and grinding solved this problem. The only one with this kit. 

DSC07027.JPG.0c435020d8c472b494e0f7f29b4b4ff7.JPGThis particular car placed second in the  GTE Pro class. Not a bad effort for a a long layoff at Lemans. There were four of these cars that were fielded by Ganassi racing. 

2 hours ago, TonyK said:

Thanks for sharing your great work. As much as I like to build race cars, I would never attempt this one.

Tony...I was intimidated by this kit also. It sat and sat . Then I wanted to use it as a paint excercise and it took some creative masking but it came out great. Once past that, this kit just flew together. Hope this helps you. 

16 minutes ago, Turbo95187 said:

Beautiful Rich as always.  I have this kit and the Wynn's decals to do the IMSA version.  Will be paying attention to the rear window and scoop when I build.  Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the compliment. In retrospect, that scoop can be glued on with the body in place. Make sure the window fits first, then glue the scoop on. Adjust it while the glue sets then fit the window and it  will  sit perfectly around the scoop.  I did it bassackwards. 

On 7/17/2020 at 10:05 AM, Rich Chernosky said:

This model was intended to be a paint experiment. I wanted to try Splash paints and 2K clear. Colors chosen were Deep Impact Blue and Rosso Scuderia for the red. White was Tamiya TS26.  Masking proved to be difficult but do-able. the two piece body  greatly aided in the separation of blue and red. Must say the Splash paints performed admirably and laid down very well. They are extremely flat but when the clear is applied they come to life. Once the body was done and cured the incentive was there to finish the kit off. I am very pleased with this kit as the fit  (with exception of back window) was excellent. The body in particular snapped down over the chassis and stayed in place with no glue or pins required. Revell has stepped up to the plate on this  one. See the captions under the pictures for more details. Thank for looking. 

DSC07012.JPG.321b87ff5103572bb80a6bfeedcc88b7.JPG

The body  all sprayed and clear coated, sitting in the sun to cure. 

DSC07016.JPG.a7572757e1086b536a72d1fec2b374ec.JPG

The chassis was very detailed and required much detail painting. Too bad most of this is covered when the body goes on so I always take pictures first. 

DSC07017.JPG.59187c367a02d68abc01424fc9df0647.JPGMuch wiring was added to the interior. Sorry about the bad photo but I hadn't planned on taking the body off to take another. I thought with the large windscreen it would be visible but, alas it was not. 

DSC07024.JPG.6d68c79f86da6968fc6647a661a4c8cd.JPGAll finished and decalled. I paid special attention to the color of the wheels. It was Alclad burnt iron with a misting of copper. Interesting color. The kit wheels did not steer but it was a fairly ea sy conversion.  I also added the carbon fibre to the sills and the front.

DSC07025.JPG.10e8e23cb7f3ec5e7793e2b10658f862.JPG

The business end of the car. Some very interesting aerodynamics. Rear window has the engine scoop sticking straight up through it. The scoop had to be carefully glued in the exact position for it to clear and the only way to find out was to attach the body. Suffice to say it wasn't and some careful filing and grinding solved this problem. The only one with this kit. 

DSC07027.JPG.0c435020d8c472b494e0f7f29b4b4ff7.JPGThis particular car placed second in the  GTE Pro class. Not a bad effort for a a long layoff at Lemans. There were four of these cars that were fielded by Ganassi racing. 

Fantastic build!!!!!   You should win a prize for the decals!!!!