Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dullcote for chrome?

I've never used any kind of dullcote so I'm really a rookie when it comes to it. I'm working on a NASCAR kit that has chrome wheels but the real car has a dull finish but looks like the chrome still.

So what do you guys use to dull chrome?

18 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

So what do you guys use to dull chrome?

Have you had or built any of the Monogram Sprint car kits.....most ,  ...if not all the chrome tree is dulled chrome.  I had a TMC kit that the wing wasn't completely dulled...in order to make it all appear the same, I light coated with Testors dullcoat with great success.

9 minutes ago, Khils said:

Have you had or built any of the Monogram Sprint car kits.....most ,  ...if not all the chrome tree is dulled chrome.  I had a TMC kit that the wing wasn't completely dulled...in order to make it all appear the same, I light coated with Testors dullcoat with great success.

I have not done any of the Sprint cars but if the testors dull cote worked good on that it maybe my best route.

1 minute ago, Bainford said:

If you just want to take the edge off the shine without making it appear as flat aluminium, try Alclad clearcoat called Sheen. It's shininess is kind of between satin and gloss.

I'll look into that, the cars wheels do almost look aluminum (although I know they aren't)

I may be in a situation of buying multiple things to find the effect I want...

6 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Be careful and do a test on scrap... like plated sprue first!

First hand knowledge.. Dullcote over BMF looks like duct tape!

Definetly planned to test of sprue, hmmmm like duct tape interesting.... thanks Tom

I've used Dull-Cote several times in the past on chrome wheels, front bumpers, and moon tanks to make those parts look like aluminum and they look great. Moon tanks are made from polished aluminum and are never chrome. Also Some of the super stocks had aluminum front ends with aluminum front bumpers and the Dull-Cote made it happen. I've also used Dull-Cote over painted surfaces to take down the shine. Try it!

31 minutes ago, High octane said:

I've used Dull-Cote several times in the past on chrome wheels, front bumpers, and moon tanks to make those parts look like aluminum and they look great. Moon tanks are made from polished aluminum and are never chrome. Also Some of the super stocks had aluminum front ends with aluminum front bumpers and the Dull-Cote made it happen. I've also used Dull-Cote over painted surfaces to take down the shine. Try it!

I will definitely pick some up, We have a Hobby Lobby opening here soon that will probably be my first trip in there...

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Goodwrench3 said:

The other stuff that works really nice is "Tree House Studio clear acrylic matt coating"  -- you can get it at Hobby Lobby.

I have used Testors Dullcote too on the Monogram chrome wheels in the NASCAR kits and it works nicely too.

Tree House is the same product as Krylon, just with a different name/label on it. 

I use Testors just because I have quite a bit of it.   Mostly in the jar.  I can brush or airbrush it.   One thing that's cool is you can dull the whole part.  If you want to keep an edge chromed or some little detail, you can gloss clear over it and get the chrome look back.  I will also "prime" chrome parts with dullcoat so I can paint with metallizers or other paints and it covers better than going straight over chrome.  To me anyway.  

46 minutes ago, randyc said:

I use Testors just because I have quite a bit of it.   Mostly in the jar.  I can brush or airbrush it.   One thing that's cool is you can dull the whole part.  If you want to keep an edge chromed or some little detail, you can gloss clear over it and get the chrome look back.  I will also "prime" chrome parts with dullcoat so I can paint with metallizers or other paints and it covers better than going straight over chrome.  To me anyway.  

Huh...   "you can gloss clear over it and get the chrome look back."    I never knew that.

Thanks !