Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped 31 sedan on 29 A kit

randyc

OK, folks, question... the new 29 A has the top insert from the 30 coupe.  Should, I cut out and leave the insert removable to see the interior, or just leave the top as is.  Can't see much of the interior thru the mail slot windows.  This is going to be another non shiny rod, so it can kinda be whatever I want.  If I were building it for real, I'd like the sunroof.  

Edited by randyc

Randy, you can always do whatever you like to your model but in terms of what the response would be at a rod run, I would probably forego the removable insert. Especially if you are going for a fabric top.  If you sand off all the mouldings and painted the roof in body colour, then a removable sunroof might look OK.  At the very least, if you do use the Revell insert, after you cut the hole in the roof, make a ledge along the lower edge of the hole so that the insert drops into it rather than sitting on top of it.  That would look pretty cool.

I have a chopped 30 Tudor on my shelf and yeah, you can't see much inside - I ended up just doing a black interior and not worrying about it. One trick I have learnt on these bodies, if you take a small square file and relieve the back edge of the sunvisor, you can tweak the cowl a bit for a better door fit. Getting the doors and cowl aligned is always challenging on these!

Cheers

Alan

1 hour ago, chris chabre said:

thats the right amount of chop! where did you get those wheels?

The wheels were in that release of the kit.   They are too cool to not use.  At least that's my thought.  They're chromed originally.  

And yeah the top is chopped way down.  But when I started it, real rat rods were doing it like that.  It's crazy low.  I like it.  No filler either.  I like the imperfections of no filler

Edited by randyc

41 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

If we're voting here.I always like to see an open top early car with the original wooden top support bows exposed. That adds a touch of "home built" to cars of that era..

Might have to look up Tim Boyd's article. 

2 hours ago, alan barton said:

Randy, you can always do whatever you like to your model but in terms of what the response would be at a rod run, I would probably forego the removable insert. Especially if you are going for a fabric top.  If you sand off all the mouldings and painted the roof in body colour, then a removable sunroof might look OK.  At the very least, if you do use the Revell insert, after you cut the hole in the roof, make a ledge along the lower edge of the hole so that the insert drops into it rather than sitting on top of it.  That would look pretty cool.

I have a chopped 30 Tudor on my shelf and yeah, you can't see much inside - I ended up just doing a black interior and not worrying about it. One trick I have learnt on these bodies, if you take a small square file and relieve the back edge of the sunvisor, you can tweak the cowl a bit for a better door fit. Getting the doors and cowl aligned is always challenging on these!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks.  I'll think on this this week.  Probably be weekend before I get back on it.  I was thinking of painting the body as if the roof is steel.  The insert would look like a fabric insert.  I'm a ways out from real hot rods.  Been a few years. 

The body is basically complete though.  Doors are fitted and glued.  Vent and windshield frame are glued.  

The wood framing idea is out there as well.  

Edited by randyc

On 9/7/2020 at 9:09 PM, randyc said:

Might have to look up Tim Boyd's article. 

https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/tim-boyd-on-line-mo/tim-boyd-on-line-ho-7/hot-rod-hints-1/

DSC 1050

This is a somewhat simplified execution....if you want to all the way, check out Fred Farrand's images of his wood roof bows from his '30 A Five Window project posts from a couple of years ago in the On the Bench section of the forum....TIM 

14 hours ago, tim boyd said:

https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/tim-boyd-on-line-mo/tim-boyd-on-line-ho-7/hot-rod-hints-1/

This is a somewhat simplified execution....if you want to all the way, check out Fred Farrand's images of his wood roof bows from his '30 A Five Window project posts from a couple of years ago in the On the Bench section of the forum....TIM 

Excellent!  Thanks.   I think that is what I will do.   In my modeling universe, my guy would have replaced the top with a metal roof, then opened up the "sunroof" of his hot rod for the extra fun factor.   And in my world, I would like to have the interior a bit more visible with the extreme top chop.  Maybe stain with something gray so it looks like the top has been opened more than closed.  

13 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Here are the wood bows for my Model A coupe. They still need a bit of  work, but, they look pretty good.

Thanks for sharing those as well.  

35 minutes ago, randyc said:

Excellent!  Thanks.   I think that is what I will do.   In my modeling universe, my guy would have replaced the top with a metal roof, then opened up the "sunroof" of his hot rod for the extra fun factor.   And in my world, I would like to have the interior a bit more visible with the extreme top chop.  Maybe stain with something gray so it looks like the top has been opened more than closed.  

Thanks for sharing those as well.  

Sure! I built the header board, as well.

4 hours ago, Painted Black said:

If I may ask, what did you use to paint these wheels..

I'm going to take a guess because it has been probably 15 - 20 years.   I would think, knowing me, that it is brass metallizer.   I stripped the chrome and plastic is black.   And they've been handled quite a bit over the years.   Nothing else like them in any other kit so they have to go on this one.   I have no idea what they represent.    And I have no plan to repaint or anything - they are aging so well.   I do wish I had some taller pie crust slicks though.  

On 9/9/2020 at 7:06 PM, tim boyd said:

DSC 1050

Thanks for posting this link Tim. I'm sure a lot of rod builders will find this tutorial helpful and inspiring.

Ok got to work on it some this morning.  Some changes in what I'm going for.  Not going to cut the roof out.  Painted floor black, seats and sides tan.  Top tan.  Going to build it nicer than a rat.  But not show car shiny either.  

It sits higher than I wanted, but I'm not ready to Z it.  But I like the body rake and the tall blower you couldn't see around.  It could be built this way, even if terribly impractical.  Still got the scoop to go on top...lol

IMG_20200913_114714616.jpg

IMG_20200913_114752115.jpg

IMG_20200913_114700899.jpg

IMG_20200913_114705147.jpg

IMG_20200913_114324393.jpg

Yes, yes and yes!  So glad you didn't cut the hole in the roof and I love your wheel choice.   The tall blower is fine - I'd hate to drive one like this but I can look at them all day!

One suggestion as you bring this one home, do some trial fitting of the kit's headlights and stands.  Straight out of the box they can look very bug eyed.  You can either carefully whittle the stands down to get the lights closer to the grill (I did this on my gold roadster) or you can try the lights from a Monogram or AMT T bucket kit( I did this on my black roadster and pink coupe).   A few mm makes a big difference!

Can't wait to see this one Under Glass - will be so cool and still a fresh take on old ideas.

Cheers

Alan

14 hours ago, alan barton said:

Yes, yes and yes!  So glad you didn't cut the hole in the roof and I love your wheel choice.   The tall blower is fine - I'd hate to drive one like this but I can look at them all day!

One suggestion as you bring this one home, do some trial fitting of the kit's headlights and stands.  Straight out of the box they can look very bug eyed.  You can either carefully whittle the stands down to get the lights closer to the grill (I did this on my gold roadster) or you can try the lights from a Monogram or AMT T bucket kit( I did this on my black roadster and pink coupe).   A few mm makes a big difference!

Can't wait to see this one Under Glass - will be so cool and still a fresh take on old ideas.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for the input.   I see what you are saying on the headlights.  I'll study on that - probably the small ones for this build.  And yes, it would be a nightmare to drive, but like you, I enjoy looking at them.   I did put a coat of Pledge gloss on it to give it a little more shine.  But I'm not going too glossy.  I love cars that look home built.   

I have a track nose that I considered using, but not with the blower setup.  I may try to scratch up another 29 A with parts left over and see if I can incorporate it into that one.  And maybe the original engine I was going to use in the sedan.  

• 2 weeks later...

An update - almost to the end.   This is the rear floor I built originally.   The Moon tank filler tube will stick out of the rear window opening.   That's all I had originally, but my guy decided he needed a little more range so he added the cell so he doesn't have to stop at every station on the way to the Cruise Ins.   And a proper battery box. IMG_20200926_100318761.jpg.93d3b4f34ccbcc32aecc51d61987e05e.jpg

Next is the front section.   Seats of unknown origin.  Kit walls and dash.  

IMG_20200926_111550053.jpg.6d800f3119c3790561426d19ccad87cd.jpg

Interior is fitted for last time.   Now you can't really see any of it.   ?  Also got some texture to the top by dry brushing.  And no windows other than windshield on purpose.  

IMG_20200926_112341012.jpg.0ef8e9bde3d978ee29410fd49fb0a2f8.jpg

IMG_20200926_112355649.jpg.7f79ee05806171f652e8cf8ae4633a09.jpg

IMG_20200926_112402132.jpg.4c6df0a4b45edf2fcaced0f08058f16b.jpg

Fitting the radiator hoses might involve taking the radiator back out - wasn't thinking far enough ahead.  The headers don't fit with the plug wires - will fix that.  Still got to make a coil and get that stray wire secured.  Lights, shocks, radius rods.   All little things, but add up a to a couple more hours probably.   Taillights - kinda liked what Tim Boyd did on that new 32 in the last issue of SA - not sure what I have in the junk boxes.   

Terribly impractical car, but not completely unreal.   

IMG_20200926_111556694.jpg

Edited by randyc

Heh Randy,,,,great progress!   You've pulled way ahead of me in terms of progress, too.  

Can't remember exactly how much of mine I showed, but my rear passenger compartment treatment looks very similar to yours.  Cool!  

I had to finish two other projects, but pulled mine back out a few nights ago.   The finish on the body was showing some cracks....very, very strange.  A coat or two of The Treatment wax seemed to mostly take care of it, so I'll be back at the bench this week.  Biggest remaining issue is sorting the suspensions to fit the super low stance and extreme Z'ed frame.   

Best wishes for bringing yours home and can't wait to see 'er done!   TIM