Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Shelby GT-350 (Dark Blue)

Bills72sj

Man do I ever hear ya Bill. I ran into something like this with my German Arado 234 Blitz Bomber a few years back. I had it at a certain stage for 3 frickin' years trying to get past the seam obstacle that I had with it. Hang with 'er bud......given the good work you've done so far I have no doubt that you'll pull through this very well. 

21 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Man do I ever hear ya Bill. I ran into something like this with my German Arado 234 Blitz Bomber a few years back. I had it at a certain stage for 3 frickin' years trying to get past the seam obstacle that I had with it. Hang with 'er bud......given the good work you've done so far I have no doubt that you'll pull through this very well. 

Thank you for the encouragement Joe. I get through it sooner or later because I really want it in my collection.

14 hours ago, afx said:

Nice work Bill.

Thank you JC.

14 hours ago, Zippi said:

Nice looking Mustangs.  That blue looks really good.

Thank you Bob. Unfortunately the blue was stripped off paint job before last.

On 9/7/2020 at 5:37 PM, Bills72sj said:

Just started a simultaneous build of 5 Mustangs. This is #3. Just finished prepping the body for paint. Once I have all the bodies prepped I will paint them all the same day.

Blue 67 Shelby 2.jpg

IMG_1558.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

Ya know Bill, this is one of  the most realistic models I've seen on here.

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

Ya know Bill, this is one of  the most realistic models I've seen on here.

Mike, Thank you for the compliment but I hope you not only referring to the 1st pic of the Blue Shelby. Because it is actually a real 1:1 Shelby.

• 3 months later...

Getting back to this one after being distracted by two challenging builds. Primered the hood yesterday and painted some decant Testors Gloss white along the centerline for the stripes. I will have to let it cure for couple of weeks before masking for the Dark Blue.

67 Shelby in primer.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

The white has cured long enough to mask the stripes. I found a printout of the dimensions of the stripes which actually taper in places. I used some BMF type material from a leftover project at work. The adhesive is amazing. Supper strong but does not leave residue when removed. Works way better than any tape I have ever used including Tamiya. The Chrome stripes on white look pretty cool but this one is going to be white over dark blue.

Le_Mans_stripes.jpg

IMG_2538.JPG

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2562.JPG

Edited by Bills72sj
Added pic
  • Like 1

On to paint. I thinned the dark blue paint I decanted over a year ago 50/50 with lacquer thinner. At first, I was going horribly! It sprayed out very rough and looked like it was crazing the white enamel underneath. I was starting to get frustrated with what looked like another paint failure. After I ran out of paint in the cup, I added less thinner. On the 3rd batch I was down to 75/25%. I said "the heck with it" and laid it on really heavy while avoiding runs. Surprisingly, it started to level out and gloss. I got some dust in the hood and some lint on the roof but it looks doubtful I will have to repaint. (Though I have not removed the masking yet). The color blue in the pics looks a little more vibrant than the real thing because of the fluorescent lighting in my paint booth. I think I am finally over the hump with this one.

IMG_2552.JPG

Edited by Bills72sj
better grammar
  • Like 1

I got brave enough to remove my experimental masking job and was very pleasantly surprised. Bleed under was almost non-existent. Also all the adhesive much preferred to stay with the foil and NOT on the paint. (Quoting Sam above) Woo Hoo! It needs some more time to fully cure then I will tackle the dust on the hood. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

IMG_2561.JPG

• 5 months later...

I could say that I have been letting the paint cure the last 6 months but, in reality, other things have taken priority. However, now that I am on my "Big Girls" project, I need some bench space to work on the all of them. With 4 new builds and 3 unintended long term projects, I need to do some clean up. I have been hesitant to sand down the ridges on the roof on each side of the white stripes. I generally do not have the patience for sanding and I did not have an appropriate tool for accomplishing the task. What I needed is a 1:25 long-board sander that can be operated by 1:1 fingers for knocking the ridges down without messing up the surrounding areas. I finally figured out the perfect little sanding block. I cut 1" of Plastruct I-beam then wrapped it with 1 sq in of sandpaper held by a mini binder clamp. It provides a narrow 1/8" x 1" of sand paper and plenty of "handle" to guide it. The real benefit is it requires zero muscle tension to keep the little bitty sandpaper square in place, even if you set it aside. It works great at the sink for wet sanding too. Maybe the Shelby will actually get done this year.

IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG

14 hours ago, Slotto said:

Nice job on the stripes. Love that blue

Steve, Thank you. Reviewing the kit directions has you laying decals last after you have installed things in the way like windows and bumpers.

The pics show the blue to be a bit more vibrant than reality. It is the nice shade of dark blue I was looking for.

10 hours ago, bytownshaker said:

Your Shelby is looking great! Neat idea for your sanding block.

Edgar, Thanks. Sanding is one of my most feared tasks. I would rather do someone elses BMF if they would do my sanding.

My new little sanding block gives me really good control of what gets sanded without the unsupervised edges messing something else up.