Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mindhunters--A '70s Car Treasure Trove!

Just started watching Mindhunters on Netflix. Up to ep 4 so far. It's set starting in 1977 and it's a treasure trove of '70s "mainstreamer" cars--there must be dozens of them in every episode! Fullsize, midsize and compact GMs, Fords, Mopars, even AMCs. I haven't spotted an '80s car yet. Most of the cars seem to be 4-doors, a few 2-doors, a few pickups and a very few wagons. 

I think they almost did TOO good a job of "set dressing." Every car seems to be perfect--no damage, no dents, no dings, not even any dirt. Some cars are conspicuous by their absence. There's almost nothing earlier than the '70s on the roads. Hey, I was there, and there were still a lot of '60s cars on the streets then. Also, so far, no Camaros, no Firebirds/Trans Ams, no Cudas or Challengers, no Corvettes, and I've only seen one Mustang II. So far only two Pintos, one a wagon, the other figures in a crash scene. No Vegas or Monzas. No VW Beetles or any other foreign car that I've seen so far--and by the late '70s, there were quite a few Toyotas and Datsuns on American streets. 

I had no idea there were so many nice '70s 4-door cars still around available for filming. 

If you dig '70s American mainstream iron, you'll love this show! 

I spoke too soon--the very beginning of episode 5 has a mid-'60s Chevy pickup, a '65 Ford sedan, and a VW van in the background (among a bunch of perfect, clean '70s American cars, of course). 

ETA: And, later in the episode, a first-gen Corvair and a '62 Pontiac. 

Edited by Snake45

Great show. Season 2 is just as good with no fall off in quality.

Sadly, it appears there will be no season 3, at least not in the foreseeable future. It's still worth watching both seasons, but yet another show left without a satisfying wrap to the story

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/mindhunter-season-3-canceled/

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I spoke too soon--the very beginning of episode 5 has a mid-'60s Chevy pickup, a '65 Ford sedan, and a VW van in the background (among a bunch of perfect, clean '70s American cars, of course). 

ETA: And, later in the episode, a first-gen Corvair and a '62 Pontiac. 

Toward the end of the episode, the same VW van and '62 Pontiac show up in another part of town---parked next to each other far, far down the street. :lol:

I know a guy in Northern Illinois that used to have a business to provide mainstream cars for period movies, shows and commercials. He is also an avid model builder so hopefully he chimes in on this subject.

in 2009 I was daily driving a super reliable 65 Pontiac Star Chief 4drHT. It was rusty enough in the right places be both drivable and of no value for restoration parts. I was spotted by the transportation coordinator for an independent movie "Splatter: Love, Honor, Paintball". He wanted to rent my car for a couple months as the "star car" (they wanted an "Uncle Buck" type car).

After two months I got the car back. The rental payment came very close to what I paid for the car and the only thing broken was the driver door handle.

Carmak

Mindhunters was an excellent series. Some of the characters really got you thinking at times are they telling the truth?! ,but then they slowly start to show their true colours as they get interviewed. It portrayed the behaviour of a sociopath extremely realistically. It's scary how convincing they are of their innocence only to slowly realise they really are seriously messed up people, very clever series.

Absolutely great show and, as you said, great "automotive casting".  Season 1 especially seemed completely on-point as far as era-correct, mundane vehicles you would truly see in the mid-70s.  While watching, really about the only car that took me "out of the moment" briefly was an early '70s full size Chevy wagon with polished Torq-Thrusts.  Technically, it's possible you could have seen that around 1977, but in reality nobody was trying to make those cars are look cool back then, and its just not something you would typically see at that time.

Mindhunter is produced (and many episodes are directed) by David Fincher.  The whole series has a look and feel very similar to his movie "Zodiac" from about 10 years ago.  If you haven't seen that one, I also highly recommend it.  That movie was also noteworthy for its accurate vehicles, and I suspect he utilized some of the same production personnel to ensure accuracy in Mindhunter.

Mindhunter season 2 is set sometime after the first season.  Not sure if they actually said what year its supposed to be, but my impression was that it should be about 1982-ish  Unfortunately, it seems like they slipped a bit with the vehicles in season 2, allowing quite a few mid-80s and even late-80s vehicles to creep in.  Still worth watching, and I agree: it will be a crime if we don't get a third season.

7 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

about the only car that took me "out of the moment" briefly was an early '70s full size Chevy wagon with polished Torq-Thrusts.  Technically, it's possible you could have seen that around 1977, but in reality nobody was trying to make those cars are look cool back then, and its just not something you would typically see at that time.

Mindhunter season 2 is set sometime after the first season.  Not sure if they actually said what year its supposed to be, but my impression was that it should be about 1982-ish  Unfortunately, it seems like they slipped a bit with the vehicles in season 2, allowing quite a few mid-80s and even late-80s vehicles to creep in.  Still worth watching, and I agree: it will be a crime if we don't get a third season.

I think that magged wagon was in ep 1. Parked on the street. It's the one that got me starting to notice the cars. I think the '68 Bonneville 2-door was in the same scene. 

I agree that season 2 is sometime in the '80s. Blondie's "Call Me" was one of the soundtrack songs--that was 1980, right? (I'm up to ep 3 now, I think.) 

On 10/30/2020 at 8:21 PM, Snake45 said:

Toward the end of the episode, the same VW van and '62 Pontiac show up in another part of town---parked next to each other far, far down the street. :lol:

I realized it gets even weirder. The VW van in the first part of the show is in Kansas, and the '62 Pontiac later in the episode is in Altoona, PA! :lol:

Edited by Snake45

I'll have to check Mindhunters out, it wasn't on my radar at all!

Just last night I saw a listing online for a 4-door Chevette for $900. Usually, anything in Canada that runs is like 2 grand, even if it's an undesirable car. Thing with this Chevette was...it had super-low mileage, a very clean interior, and almost perfect paint! Even the rubber looked good. Owned by a little old lady and clearly stored indoors....and it occurred to me that someone should snap it up. Must be the only intact Chevette left in the country, haha! It would make a great movie car.

6 hours ago, Spex84 said:

Just last night I saw a listing online for a 4-door Chevette for $900. Usually, anything in Canada that runs is like 2 grand, even if it's an undesirable car. Thing with this Chevette was...it had super-low mileage, a very clean interior, and almost perfect paint! Even the rubber looked good. Owned by a little old lady and clearly stored indoors....and it occurred to me that someone should snap it up. Must be the only intact Chevette left in the country, haha! It would make a great movie car.

How about a link for the ad? My friend the collector was just looking at a low-mile clean '85 Chevette in Oregon - for $4600... default_ohmy2.png.d546de3e3a87378e816eb80ed0f8bbfb.png

• 3 years later...