Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shirley Shahan’s Hornet Pro Stock

dragcarz

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, afx said:

I build race cars almost exclusively and do not clear over the decals.  Your choice of course.

The lettering on old race cars wasn’t usually of as high gloss as the body . I’m right with you I don’t normally apply gloss over the decals either. I do find that light coats work better. 

I agree with you, older race cars were usually hand lettered by sign painter’s using One Shot Enamels. I normally like to clear the graphics, and add sponsors decals after the clear, and in the past I have had no issues with this process. I normally use Testors enamel paint under the clear. I have been watching YouTube videos and everyone raves about the Tamiya paints so I decided to try it. I guess I don’t like things getting the best of me, and so I’ve continued with the Tamiya paint. Now  I’m wishing I had painted it this last time with the Testors.  The Tamiya lacquer is too hot for my antique Johan plastic, and it has a fine etching into the plastic again. I was able to sand most of it out but the white has to have a clear coat to make it look good. I’m using Splash 2K clear, and I’m going to go slow and easy with the coats of clear. I was hoping the Tamiya paint would work out as it’s much thinner than Testors enamel and I wouldn’t loose as much detail on my builds, but at this point I may just go back to what I know works. 

11 hours ago, David G. said:

I'm glad it worked out so well for you Roger, it looks fantastic!

If I were you, I wouldn't mess with it. No sense in tempting fate.

David G.

I know, Right! It’s been painted 3 days, and I still haven’t touched the paint. I just pick it up on the stand and look at it.

• 1 month later...

Hey Zippi, sorry I didn’t respond quicker, but my girls went to Illinois this weekend, so I finally got to work on the Hornet all weekend. I got a lot done. If I had one more day I probably could have finished it. It’s too hot and humid so I moved from the garage to the kitchen table, much more productive. 
Somehow my taillights don’t fit my bumper, I think somewhere I ended up with a 73 rear bumper. It fits the body but doesn’t match so I had to modify the tail lights to work. I scratch built a tach, added the front roll bar brace. I finished the decals and hood pins as well as the BMF on the windows. I need to make the glass. I painted the headliner and area around the rear wheel openings.I added carbs to the motor and a bunch more, I’ll let the photos speak for themselves. 

31699278-973B-47FA-A061-08EDA1AC1C59.jpeg

BDE7F0CD-6355-446C-875F-6AB21596F2C0.jpeg

D599C48C-3EC0-40F3-BA2B-2A4B23452789.jpeg

8DD05496-930A-44CE-82C4-11BFEF0E1647.jpeg

213EFD4D-D833-430D-A446-778DAB9FAA77.jpeg

A949E9E9-B7F5-4448-BDFB-151A054FABCA.jpeg

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Love this project, Roger. It's coming along beautifully! Nice work!

Thanks Daniel, I’m getting anxious to finish it. Overall, I’m pleased with it. It’s been a lot more work than I expected.