Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Kenworth W925

Well, my first completed build of 2021. Wish I could say that I was happy with it, but right now I'm just happy that it's done. 

I started this one in 2017, with an idea. 

Went hunting for a kit, and found this one. It's an original issue of AMT's W925 kit. The box was a little worse for wear, but the kit appeared to be complete. I said appeared to be complete, because I soon found out it was not. But it did have some extra parts from a Pete kit. Had to scrounge and trade to find some detail parts. Never did find headlight lenses, so I left them.

Typical old school AMT kit. Instructions are incredibly vague and reference part numbers that don't appear anywhere on the trees. Not that it mattered, as most of the parts were no longer attached to the trees, so it was a guessing game most of the time. Especially for me, as I'm no truck expert.

001.jpg.4cde5bc8f580b9c68433bf51904ef6be.jpg

002.jpg.4257188286cc6afa7fced6a3965a4664.jpg

Anyway, apparently the original issue kits are somewhat hard to find and somewhat desirable because of the torsion bar rear end that was changed for later reissues of the kit. I've also heard that the torsion bar set up is challenging. Well my meager skills managed just fine, as the kit sits level, everything lines up, and all wheels sit on the ground evenly. I finished the wheels before I learned about the window backer rod trick.

004.jpg.2639f9b94041d65930feb22447178014.jpg

Nothing to really discuss regarding the engine. I didn't do any additional detailing on it, and there were a few pieces missing, so I pretty much just assembled it, sprayed it, and stuck it in place.

Strange issue with this kit though. The hood appears to be too short. I lined everything up, installed everything, and everything seems to fits, but the hood is a few millimeters short. I double checked where the engine mounts, the cab mounts, and the hood hinge pins attach, and it is indeed a little short. Luckily, painting it black hides it, as does adding the air cleaners. I've since touched up the wipers with a Molotow chrome pen.

005.thumb.jpg.674e784606ee40b803f1ecff4394f936.jpg

Also added a trailer to this one.

003.jpg.108698c855f7e71f4bacadbefdc2de6a.jpg

Super easy to put together, again, just wanted to get it done so I didn't go too hard with detailing.

008.thumb.jpg.bcf12f37e21d869de4f16d45fa2fcc4c.jpg

009.thumb.jpg.de025c10bd744bea487f63eef556da10.jpg

And here's the finished result.

006.thumb.jpg.81a4e8e61ad1bf3ad31a99d9ee3562af.jpg

007.thumb.jpg.17cfe772b03e6cc321bf6772a38fabe5.jpg

010.thumb.jpg.e1843c6561a617d263b5a6fd799c1d07.jpg

1075291963_OnThroughTheNight.jpg.d3eaf6f0dbb3ad8667f9df4e2ed7ee31.jpg

Want to guess what my soundtrack was for a lot of this build?

At the end of the day, this was not a totally enjoyable build for me. The fit issues bug me, and the constant hunting for parts just sucked a lot of the fun out of it for me.

Still, even the poorest of kits are fun to put together, and I learned a few things for the next one. And it looks okay on the shelf. As long as it's at the bottom, in the shadows. lolz.

On to the next one... 

Looks great.

It has been a while since I’ve built one of these but I believe that the hood problem with this is probably the same problem that I had recently with the 359 1100 cab. The AMT design mounts thee a cab a little too far back.
You did a great job on this one! It looks great! I  like the album cover re-creation.

13 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Looks great.

It has been a while since I’ve built one of these but I believe that the hood problem with this is probably the same problem that I had recently with the 359 1100 cab. The AMT design mounts thee a cab a little too far back.
You did a great job on this one! It looks great! I  like the album cover re-creation.

I actually moved the whole cab/sleeper assembly forward. The firewall is actually touching the engine, but there's still a gap.

Ahh well, it's not that noticeable as it sits. 

:)

• 2 weeks later...