Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch built 1/25th scale Cat 374F L excavator

Hey all 

Small  update for you all. I have the idler wheels done.

20210203_161300.jpghere is the idler wheel in place on the tracks. I made this from a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe that is 1.07" O.D. which is 26.75" diameter in 1/25th scale. I then added some plastic strips to the center of the wheel for the track guide, then some 7/32" & 9/32" plastic tubes for the hubs. This will be spring loaded in the undercarriage frame to take up slack in the tracks.

20210203_161239.jpgthis view shows both of the idlers.

20210203_161220.jpgthis is were I'm up to at this point. It doesn't look like much but it was a real challenge to figure out and build. Well that's it for now be back soon.

Ron G 

Edited by ShakyCraftsman

Hey all 

Another update for you all. I have one of the drive sprockets done.

20210205_164624.jpgthis view shows the idler and the drive sprocket. I made this from the same 3/4" diameter PVC pipe that I used for the idlers. I made the sprocket teeth from some 1/8" thick plastic sheet glued together to make it 1/4" thick. I then ground out the center of the teeth to the OD of the pipe. I then drilled out the notches for the track link pins, all 20 of em, then I sanded the OD of the teeth to the correct size diameter. I then made the inner peice out if three peices of plastic sheet glued together to make it 0.18" thick, then sanded it to the ID of the pipe and glued it to the center. I then made a peice for the outer edge out of some 1/8" & 1/32" plastic sheet glued together and then glued to the outer edge of the sprocket. To this I added some 2.6mm Meng bolt heads (20 of em, plus three) and voila you get a drive sprocket...lol

20210205_164553.jpgmore of a side view of them.

20210205_164519.jpgend view of the idler and the sprocket.

20210205_164946.jpgview of them next to a scale.

20210205_164921.jpgthis view shows them sitting on a piece of the track links.

20210205_165355.jpgthis view shows the idler and the drive sprocket in place on the tracks. Well that's it for now be back with more soon.

Ron G 

Edited by ShakyCraftsman

9 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Ron that’s all you did. Lol that’s awesome work and thanks for the step by step process. You should make a resin cast for future builds. Looking forward to seeing more details. 

Yeah, probably not going to make resin castings,  but I may make them on my 3D printer.

I have both sprockets done now, time to start on the undercarriage frame.

Ron G 

WOW, fantastic job Ronald!   I have always liked scratch built projects and there is no doubt that I will have some here for my hollow tooth as they say...   Whatever the subject, I am very interested and I will embark with you for the ride (probably a long trip...), your skills are obviously out of the ordinary sir!!! 👌

Hey all 

I now have the two undercarriage side frames about half way done.

20210211_163011.jpgthis view shows the LH side frame.

20210211_162951.jpgsame thing from the other side.

20210211_162929.jpgtop view of the LH side frame.

20210211_163032.jpgthis view shows both the LH & RH side frames.

20210211_162852.jpgthis view shows them with the tracks added.

20210211_162833.jpgthis view shows them with the base frame in place. I still have to make the 3 upper rollers and the 8 lower rollers and there mounting brackets for both sides, plus the 2 steps on each side frame, both sides and the main center section that attaches to the 2 side frames and the main base frame together, plus all the bolt heads...🤪...Yicks! well that's it for now be back soon with more updates.

Ron G 

Edited by ShakyCraftsman

Nice progress and I'm eager to see more.

Here is the largest excavator we have at my worksite right now, a 352F wednesday this week with the just then total renovated undercarriage trying to get down through the ground frost so I can lay 10 inch storm water pipes and drains beside the bypass road we are building, the newly built overpass in the background is going to lead to the Volvo Cab plant where they do most of the cabs for the Volvo trucks wich is located in my town.
Boy the ground was hard and this job with the 352 took over two days because the ground was frozen solid about 5 feet deep and he had to break through it for about 50 yards so I could do my job.

20210210_122030.jpg

Edited by Force

Hey guys 

Small update for you all. I have the lower rollers and the upper rollers done for the left hand side of the undercarriage frame.  

20210213_143123.jpgI took this photo early in the day before I added the upper rollers to it.

20210213_143522.jpgthis view shows the lower rollers and their mounting brackets.

20210213_143503.jpgview from the bottom of the LH frame.

20210213_170516.jpgthis view shows the upper rollers and their mounting brackets.

20210213_170407.jpgthis view shows the body base sitting on the undercarriage. I added my custom made figure to this picture for some perspective. Well that's it for now be back soon.

Ron G 

Edited by ShakyCraftsman

29 minutes ago, Mopar - D said:

Ron again thanks for sharing your scratch building skills for us here your progress is awesome.  Are you planning to weather the excavator a little?  

Most definitely! Along with the trailer, jeep, booster and tractor. Right now my biggest concern is the decals that I need for the excavator, XL trailer and Peterbilt 359 tractor, any ideas?

Ron G 

Ron I know what your problem is with finding decals have you made your own before. I’m sure you can find the CAT logo and make it fit your needs. With it having a black background you can print it on white decal paper to get the white CAT letters. I’m making my decals for my Dan Gurney race hauler trailer. Let me know if you want more details.