Model Cars Magazine Forum

JR Salvinos limited edition generic 71 Dodge Charger stock car kit.

GMP440

Salvino's is doing a limited run of 2800 1971 Dodge Charger generic stock car kits.  Model Roundup, Wes's Model Car Corner , Mikes Decals got together to do this run.  They are the only ones selling this kit.  Wes's Model Car corner is taking pre orders now.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10219202144630480&set=gm.2822461291340924

Here is the Salvino's podcast talking about this.  They start talking about the limited edition kit at the 12:30 mark on the time line.

https://www.facebook.com/salvinosjrmodels/videos/?ref=page_internal

Edited by GMP440

This is a new tooled kit.  Awhile back Salvino's had showed the 3d renderings of both the 71 and 73 Charger stock car bodies.  Salvino's tooled the 71 Charger themselves.   Wes's Model Car Corner, Model Roundup and Mikes Decals are investing in this.  Kind of what the Model King does with Moebius.  The 71 Charger kit is an exclusive that can only be bought through these three companies.

Edited by GMP440

The first run of the 71's to the first three dealers will be without decals.  It looks like decals will be available before the kit.  I have to believe that there will be future runs of the kits with decals that will also be available at more dealers..  The initial run will help fund future releases.  Somehow, the demand will be met. 

Edited by Muncie

3 minutes ago, Muncie said:

The first run of the 71's to the first three dealers will be without decals.  It looks like decals will be available before the kit.  I have to believe that there will be future runs of the kits with decals that will also be available at more dealers..  The initial run will help fund future releases.  Somehow, the demand will be met. 

There probably will be future runs.  If this sells well, more releases will come.

3 hours ago, GMP440 said:

If you go to Wes's Model Car Corner facebook page, he is taking preorders now.  I would'nt wait till March with such a small run they are doing.

If Mike has invested you would expect that he would have an allotment - one could not sell all of the kits or there is no point in the others investing.

Robyn

3 hours ago, Robyn said:

If Mike has invested you would expect that he would have an allotment - one could not sell all of the kits or there is no point in the others investing.

Robyn

Pretty sure he has an allotment as well as the other two.  Who knows how many each are getting to sell.  Maybe they each are getting 1/3 of what is being produced.  Only they know.   I just made the statement that Wes's Model Car corner was taking orders today.   Was just passing along the information.  That's all that was.

This is something that Mike and Salvinos JR have done for the past 2 kits that had newly tooled bodies in them.  Both of the Grand Prix 2+2 and Le Mans were sold by Mike in plain "blank" boxings that you could pair with various decal choices to finish them out livery-wise.  This arrangement seems to involve a couple of other retailers on a larger run (the Mike's kits were 500 pcs per if I recall right).  The idea of them paying up front allow them to sell the kit as an exclusive, then next month Salvinos will distribute their Petty 1973 Charger kit, and later versions of the 71 will be released by the company themselves as well.  If you look at the Coming Soon! part of Mike's site (http://mikesdecals.com/) you will see there are four sets of decals coming in around the same time as both kits will be, so there are options for the blank kit.

126359539_693441347978381_6547078428987394972_o.jpg.ce6419233fd64c3afb5d6bce43a21f51.jpg

Edited by niteowl7710

Some screenshots I made during one of the Salvino’s meetings some time back. These probably do not represent the final product, as they tweak these almost to production. Personally, I think these kits are looking pretty impressive. These show a ‘73-‘74 style car, but they have shown that they have designed a ‘71 style body and different hoods and grille inserts for the kit. 

image.png.2f6892ccc9c11a5a7882f0d8236b06f1.png

image.png.620a7511729e6c9ad6b78d81edb3b0f2.png

image.png

Edited by CapSat 6

2 hours ago, Matt T. said:

No test-shot build images anywhere? The CAD renderings always look great. Sometimes things get lost in the translation to molding. 

I agree 100% - you can't determine much until you see the actual built product. I have not been able to find images of any built samples anywhere.

What's being said is that Salvino's has taken their time to make the body for this kit look right. They have mentioned the old MPC kit bodies, but it's also been said that the MPC bodies were mostly street stock bodies (true). The new bodies will be done to represent the way the race cars looked (as in: modified wheel openings and slightly flared fenders, which the MPC bodies didn't have). The CAD drawings look very good, but the proof would be in the plastic, so to speak.   

Rick Salvino joined the webcast at one point and one of the things he spoke about was how they wanted to be sure the roll cage fit the body, and that they wanted to ensure quality for the kit all around, so that sounded hopeful. It does sound to me like they are learning lessons from their earlier projects and applying that knowledge to what they are doing now.

They showed some of the sprues on one of their webcasts recently. It does appear that these kits will at a minimum come with both plated and unplated bumpers, and multiple options for grille inserts, perhaps even hood options (power bulge and flat hoods). I think they are going to come with options for Hemi and Wedge heads as well.  

I am REALLY hoping that they get the bodies right on these kits. If they do, then it sounds like they will really have a winner on their hands! 

2 hours ago, Matt T. said:

No test-shot build images anywhere? The CAD renderings always look great. Sometimes things get lost in the translation to molding. 

I AIN'T buying until I see a PRODUCTION injection body. The massively under scale trailing arm in all the GM kits may me gun shy......

Correct AMT trailing arms LEFT...Salvinos 1/32 scale version on right. 

rear.JPG

21 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I AIN'T buying until I see a PRODUCTION injection body. The massively under scale trailing arm in all the GM kits may me gun shy...…

I think we should expect more or less the chassis and suspension that was under the early Olds kits (which were really Mopar-style components, and seem to have been inspired by the old MPC pieces), with the floorpan re-sized to fit the Charger body. That would be OK by me.

I agree that the body will make or break this kit. Fingers crossed!!!