Model Cars Magazine Forum

48' Ford hot rod

Jantrix

Thanks Carl. I've got some leads and some phone interviews lined up this week. We'll see how it pans out. 

Here's a first. Full suspension transplant and all four wheels touching on the first try. Pretty happy with the stance too.

20210303_144653.jpg

20210303_144742.jpg

Looks really cool and I like it so far. Stance is perfect and the suspension looks great.

Not sure if you want to do any body mods, but one of the bad areas on this kit is the windshield. The opening is too high and the A pillars are shaped too square.

Yea, yea, call it counting rivets, but lil things can make or break a build.

Rob, looking good.  Can you tell me what metallic green paint you used on that engine block...I'd like to get some for a project.

On the career life thing...I rarely wish bad things for anyone  but I have nothing but ill will for the company that bought out your former employer,  and hope they suffer the consequences of terminating you and your fellow workers so abruptly.

They surely will suffer from not having the skilled people that made the company worth acquiring in the first place. Wishing you all the best as you enter the next phase.

Thanks Jim. The green is Testors One Coat Lacquer Mystic Emerald. For the sake of interest and the all-important, contrast, I painted the dash and shifter knob green as well. Interior photos soon. 

As far as the new parent company, I couldn't agree more. When I pass the building, I get a swell of anger that I have to quell because I know what happened isn't the fault of anyone in that building. But rather a faceless executive in Michigan, upon whom I wish a scorching case of herpes. To layoff people in this current environment shows an uncommon level of heartlessness. 

On a positive note, I do have a couple of possible opportunities coming this week. I've applied nearly everywhere and now it's the waiting game. There are a couple of companies that are usually hiring but I'm leaving them for a last resort because they are infamous for turnover, layoffs and working people too hard.

Thanks Beamer. 

Interior is complete. I used the flat/gloss contrast on the interior. The interior goes together very nicely and fits well when assembled. A first for me - actual lenses for the dash gauges, very slick. The front seats are the custom seats from the AMT 69 Riv, trimmed down to something attractive. 

20210310_145342.jpg

20210310_150540.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

• 3 months later...

This is cool! I like what you are doing with the engine! Stance looks good too. Maybe go to a craft store or ebay and get a bag of watch parts, gears etc. They sell them both places. That would help with the interior and steering wheel details.

On 7/6/2021 at 11:22 AM, espo said:

Glad to see your back at this build. I hope everything else is well for you also. 

David, I have found employment but it's not what I'd call ideal. I've taken about a 30% hit in the paycheck and second shift bites it. And going from a bench tech position to something more physical has been a challenge. But I'm getting used to it slowly. A little less sore very day.

13 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

If you want real scale roller chain look up fusee chain on the internet. Watchmaker supply houses carry it.

Honestly the roller chain steering wheel is my least favorite part of the Plymouth. It was never going to make it to the model.

BTW, also the visor will not be added. The Plymouth is unchopped so the visor looks good. But the Ford is chopped from the kit, and with a visor it looks rather silly. 

• 9 months later...

Hmm. I just noticed this never got an Under Glass post, I just added it to my 2021 builds post. It was a fun build but sadly something popped up during final assembly that I just didn't notice while building. The severe drop on the stockcar headers was too severe. They end up about a scale inch off the table top and if it were a real car would make it undrivable. But, it looks great in my model case. If I don't look under. Thanks for looking.

Oh and an update on the employment thing. I worked a pretty awful low paying job for about seven months. Then I was hired by a semi-conductor memory (think flash drive memory) manufacturer here in Boise, and went to work. Better pay, better benefits, etc. The hours aren't ideal, but I'll make do. All's well that ends well, I suppose.

20211228_065225.thumb.jpg.d90aec85f73f8d0f1264a4ae926d4d68.jpg

20211228_065249.thumb.jpg.90e56a6f610d70ff4fea116ad75fab23.jpg

20211228_065308.thumb.jpg.7ee4ac32dbd396b7b3987dd61484c90a.jpg

• Like 1

• Jantrix changed the title to 48' Ford hot rod
7 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Hmm. I just noticed this never got an Under Glass post, I just added it to my 2021 builds post. It was a fun build but sadly something popped up during final assembly that I just didn't notice while building. The severe drop on the stockcar headers was too severe. They end up about a scale inch off the table top and if it were a real car would make it undrivable. But, it looks great in my model case. If I don't look under. Thanks for looking.

Oh and an update on the employment thing. I worked a pretty awful low paying job for about seven months. Then I was hired by a semi-conductor memory (think flash drive memory) manufacturer here in Boise, and went to work. Better pay, better benefits, etc. The hours aren't ideal, but I'll make do. All's well that ends well, I suppose.

20211228_065225.thumb.jpg.d90aec85f73f8d0f1264a4ae926d4d68.jpg

20211228_065249.thumb.jpg.90e56a6f610d70ff4fea116ad75fab23.jpg

20211228_065308.thumb.jpg.7ee4ac32dbd396b7b3987dd61484c90a.jpg

Your build looks great. Glad to hear things have improved for you as well. 

Thanks guys.

4 hours ago, slusher said:

Looks great Rob!  I hope the new job continues to work out friend!

Carl, I sure hope so too. I'm 53 and I've had the rug pulled out from under me so many times by economic changes or uncertainty, that make companies do stupid stuff, starting back in 1990. I either miss a job opportunity entirely or by the time I get to the point of where I could be a team/shift lead or supervisor or subject matter expert, a trainer, something happens. I just need another 14 years to retire. It would be great to do it here at Micron. I'm darn tired of starting at the bottom over and over. I'm real good at what I do. Ech. Sorry for the rant. It's been a rough 14 months.