Model Cars Magazine Forum

Short Hood Diamond Reo Searchlight

Calling this one done.....for now.  AMT kit with AITM short hood and flatbed from the AMT Ford Stake truck kit.  Generator is a 4-71 Detroit from Gary Wallace, enclosure from scratch.  Searchlight from a variety of household items on a base from Auslowe.

P1030128.jpg

P1030130.jpg

P1030131.jpg

P1030132.jpg

P1030135.jpg

I have liked this build from the beginning! It turned out great! I really like the generator! I’ve been wanting to build a power unit myself. I took a few notes from your generator.😀 The truck looks Awesome as well! The spot light turned out Amazing! Excellent work!!

21 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

wow, what a build! The genie on the back with the light and wires, perfect!

Thanks, GE was one of the builders of searchlights in WW2.  Most, if not all, of the searchlights used in the 60's and 70's were military surplus.

20 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

That's a neat model.  When I was a kid and seeing one up close hearing the hum of generator and the burning arc rod inside the searchlight.

greg

I recall the same thing, maybe that's what prompted this build!

20 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I have liked this build from the beginning! It turned out great! I really like the generator! I’ve been wanting to build a power unit myself. I took a few notes from your generator.😀 The truck looks Awesome as well! The spot light turned out Amazing! Excellent work!!

Thanks!

19 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Well done !!! Everything about this build was fun to watch come together,  from the gen set to the spot light . Definitely not your run of the mill build,  and would love one lighting up my display case 

Thanks, for a moment I thought about putting a real bulb in there.....darn squirrels almost got me on that one!

14 hours ago, Doug 1061 said:

Too cool.  I never woulda thought of building one of these.   Very unique subject,  I remember seeing these searchlights all over back in the 60s and 70s.   Superb job all around.

Thanks, I remember Dad taking us for a ride in the car to find the searchlight.

12 hours ago, slusher said:

That’s impressive work especially the generator and light...

Thanks!

On 3/16/2021 at 5:53 AM, drinkone2 said:

Excellent work!! I totally forgot about these trucks from my youth. Your scratchbuilding skills are superb!

On 3/16/2021 at 10:12 AM, Jim B said:

That came out great.  Well done.

Thanks

22 hours ago, Dodge Driver said:

Your truck is absolutely great! A unique subject that's so well executed. 

Thank you

17 hours ago, Safire6 said:

This is so cool! And I like the background that you used to light it up. How did you think of that?

Thanks, I have to confess the photos were just quick shots, I didn't feel like setting up the lights etc.  The sun was coming in thru the slider which is covered with a sheet of plastic for the winter.  The flash on the camera bounced off the wrinkles.

8 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Very nice!!

Thanks