Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Rod model car builders who also own or build 1/1 scale hot rods...let's start a list...

When this thread started I tought it was for traditional "hot rods" so I did'nt post my "hot rod"

So here's my 2002 WS6 6-speed unmolested TransAm. She still has all as factory delivered and/or OEM parts (the original owner was the son of a Pontiac Dealer owner). 

20200624_142936.jpg.9c8be7c996d4fc3f909c1f0602f281d8.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 11:05 AM, Dan Hay said:

IMG_1479.jpg

hey now were talking!  i built this 71 super beetle.  this pic is about 12 years old.  unfortunately its no longer this nice.  it was my daily driver for several years and the CA sun took it's toll on the paint.   eventually the engine died and it's been sitting sense November of 2014.  im currently building a 1776cc for it.

cGF9u3x.jpg

build video

Speaking of VW's.....This is my 71 Super Beetle in 1979. It was my daily driver (and only car) and I put on 250,000 miles before parking it. I  finally got rid of it around 2008. Wish I hadn't! Sorry about all the blank space after the pic, not sure what happened there...

Scan_0002.jpg

Edited by Draggon

wow! that thing is straight mid/late 70's lol.  nobody builds them like that anymore.  but im kinda digging it!  put a nice stereo in there, cruise around blaring Boston or maybe Alice Cooper or something.  id love to roll up to a VW show with that thing, it'd be great. :lol:  bummer you don't have it anymore.

1 hour ago, Suburban_Hooligan said:

wow! that thing is straight mid/late 70's lol.  nobody builds them like that anymore.  but im kinda digging it!  put a nice stereo in there, cruise around blaring Boston or maybe Alice Cooper or something.  id love to roll up to a VW show with that thing, it'd be great. :lol:  bummer you don't have it anymore.

Thanks Randy! I made more mods later on, turn signals in the bumper, dechromed the hood and louvered the deck lid. I lowered the back several notches on the splines, and spent a whole lot of time with the front end. I raised the spring buckets a bunch, modified the shocks and used a different weight oil. It was sitting several inches lower than this picture and it rode super smooth!

I did plenty of shows, the Bug-Ins at Baylands Raceway, yearly events with the Northern California Street Machine Assoc. and was in a Car Club till around 1980. 

Edited by Draggon

NICE VWs!  I really want to get back working on it, but we are staying in a rental home because our house flooded due to a burst pipe. And, my house is not close to the rental place we're staying. Hopefully I'll get some time to work on it this summer. 

• 2 months later...

Latest example....Fred Farrand (who has posted some of his super-sharp work in this forum) just won a Top Ten Builders Award at the 2021 GoodGuys Columbus Nationals this weekend for his just-completed '36 Ford Y-Block 3-Window.  For those of you who are not familiar with it, the GoodGuys Columbus is arguably one of the two most important outdoor hot rod events of the year....way to go Fred!   TIM

• 1 month later...

The first model I built when I got back into the hobby was a 1950 Chevy pickup.  I was trying to replicate my 49.  Here's my 1949 Chevy 5 window pickup.  It's painted Chevy Bright Red, 5.3 engine, turbo 350 transmission, 273 gears, PS/PB, AC & heat.    

20200521_190215.jpg

20200305_171112.jpg

LS#2.jpg

20210118_134438.jpg

20210314_141129.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

The first model I built when I got back into the hobby was a 1950 Chevy pickup.  I was trying to replicate my 49.  Here's my 1949 Chevy 5 window pickup.  It's painted Chevy Bright Red, 5.3 engine, turbo 350 transmission, 273 gears, PS/PB, AC & heat.    

20210314_141129.jpg

That is way cool!   Big Congrats from this end....TIM 

• 3 months later...

So I've been working my way through my old Hot Rod magazine collection, and I see that a '72 Maverick street machine by a guy named Nick Zuk was ranked as a Top Ten car at the end of the 1979 magazine run. 

Nick Zuk...boy that sounds familiar.  Now I am looking at the full feature of his car that appeared in the July 1979 issue of SRM.   

Maybe one of you can confirm this, but unless I'm mistaken, he is the same Nick who has been a long running participant in the SE Michigan model car building and club scene.  I even recall running a photo I took of his sano '66 Fairlane street machine in my 2018 book "collecting muscle car model kits". 

So.....here is yet another model car builder who also has bona fide credentials as a full-size car builder (and vice versa).... TIM 

I started building model cars when I was 10 and I’m 20 now and have accumulated about 20 cars and trucks (most not in running or driving order) but I’m currently building myself a 1971 Plymouth valiant pro touring/stock car and a 1977 Ford F-150 4x4 short box that I’m doing a restoration as an 80s show truck.  And when I’m not working on my own project I work in a custom/restoration shop and have had my part in building some pretty cool cars and trucks over the past few years 

7A31E4FD-CFE2-4728-AD0D-A1BB8D50435D.jpeg

67D45B77-0F56-4735-A91A-723EDB7CD10B.jpeg

Edited by 426 pack

• 1 month later...

I built this Pro Street 69 Nova between in the mid 90s.  Round tube chassis, 502 BBC. I also built a 79 Camaro and 69 Camaro prior to this car.  I had been building since 1977 prior to building my 79 Camaro in 1989.  I still have the Nova.  Thanks for looking friends and thanks for starting this thread Tim.- Mark

BEB5B237-23E8-4272-834A-66BFD332F424.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ybsluos said:

I built this Pro Street 69 Nova between in the mid 90s.  Round tube chassis, 502 BBC. I also built a 79 Camaro and 69 Camaro prior to this car.  I had been building since 1977 prior to building my 79 Camaro in 1989.  I still have the Nova.  Thanks for looking friends and thanks for starting this thread Tim.- Mark

BEB5B237-23E8-4272-834A-66BFD332F424.jpeg

that reminds me of a car featured in Super Chevy Magazine back in like 93/94. 😎

I use to build traditional hot rods professionally, Left the industry for various reasons. I have a "9 to 5" fabricating mostly high end stainless work, as well as my own fab shop at the house. I miss it enough where Im thinking about going back on my own and building cars again under my shop name (Chabres Hot Rod and Fabrication, or CHRF) I also started a you tube channel that Covid kind of ended for a bit because when the pandemic hit both the Mrs and I ended up working like crazy due to shortages etc.

If anyones interested I can post up some photos etc sometime.

I had plans for this one since it was brand new. I'm the only owner, and it still waits, impatiently. I wanted to full tube frame, and tub it. It was the first new car I ever bought in 1979. It's a V8, 5.0l, turbo 350 trans, and every option you could get on a Monza, including a sunroof. I drove the wheels off of it until 1991, then put it on blocks and made plans. It was anemic,  but fun. Life, family, kids and a long line of demanding jobs took over. It still waits, and is in not so hot shape. 

IMG_20210823_153439.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2022 at 12:29 PM, Suburban_Hooligan said:

that reminds me of a car featured in Super Chevy Magazine back in like 93/94. 😎

I’ll bet it was much prettier and faster than mine!  I would like to see that one....my friend may have that issue as he has a ton of Super Chevys from the 90s.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 10:28 PM, chris chabre said:

I use to build traditional hot rods professionally, Left the industry for various reasons. I have a "9 to 5" fabricating mostly high end stainless work, as well as my own fab shop at the house. I miss it enough where Im thinking about going back on my own and building cars again under my shop name (Chabres Hot Rod and Fabrication, or CHRF) I also started a you tube channel that Covid kind of ended for a bit because when the pandemic hit both the Mrs and I ended up working like crazy due to shortages etc.

If anyones interested I can post up some photos etc sometime.

Hi Chris!

I, for one, would like to see some pics of the rods you fabricated. I'm certain they must be "world class". 

CT