Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Mustang - my first funny car build

plasticprime

This was my first funny car kit and proved to be quite a challenge. Parts fit was poor, and in my kit there was so much flash it was hard to tell where the flash ended and the parts started. I scratch built the butterfly valves on the blower; used a black wash on the rear wheels; drilled out the exhaust pipes; scraped the chrome from the blower belt and added a yellow decal from an armor kit (.50 cal ammo box - it looks cool anyway); drilled and built mounting pegs for the parachute and fire extinguisher; scraped off the chrome from the front axle nubs and painted them clear blue; and painted the rear brakes red. Body paint was Tamiya Metallic Blue with two coats of Tamiya clear. I didn’t like the decal design on the box art, so I cut the decals and arranged them in a different layout.

Mustang_Funny_car_a.jpg

It looks great! Very clean and your building skills made a nice looking model. Personally I don't like MPC models and they don't like me so I can appreciate what you went through. You need to try one of the other brands and you'll enjoy your next Funny Car build much more.

• 5 months later...