Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your first ride

John1955

My first ride was an ‘85 Honda Nighthawk 450.  Got it brand new a couple of months before I could even legally get a permit.  Just about killed me having to wait to ride it.  It was my only transportation for a whole summer, rain or shine, before I got a car.  I still have it.

First car was a ‘77 Firebird.  White with a black vinyl top.  God I loved that car…

IMG_1181.jpeg.82b2e520563a96d3993af9cf5fea3360.jpeg

Edited by atomicholiday

1968 Fairlane fastback. Small block V8 with a 3 on the tree. Kind of cool looking but a real dog. Bought it off of my cousin $100. sold it for $200 months later. no pics of it but it looked sort of like this. A little more pale green.

1968 fairlane.jpg

• Like 2

My first set of actual 'wheels' was the go-cart I had when I was about 10-13 years old...... It had the engine from a cement spreader ( !? ) and no brakes. The engine was so strong that it would eat the clutches that was between the drive gear and the crank..... The springs would burst out of them.

Good, dangerous, deathtrap times..........   ^_^

I was bound and determined to have something vintage as my first car - preferably from my ancestral home in Kentucky to avoid the Chicago rust. In 1976 I spotted this Shore Green '50 Plymouth in West Paducah and bought it for $200:

my50plymouth.thumb.jpg.82d3bb3fc9a29f107fcc0f9cdb89aedd.jpg

my50plymouth2.thumb.jpg.3d6548d4abad1f8c89ecc1e211093e19.jpg

My uncle and I drove it home to my grandparents' house... and there it sat for four years until after my grandfather died and Baptist Hospital bought up the whole block of houses. My mom went back down there to help my grandmother move and sold the car to some guys from Kevil who were going to restore it; they paid $200 for it so I broke even.

• Like 1

My first car was a 1969 Chevy Nova . 307/ 2 speed powerglide ...and an AM radio, I bought it from a customer on my paper route for $50.00. Other then being rusted out it ran like a clock .

I dont have a picture of it but built this when Revell issued the C.O.P.O Nova

geRE3I6.jpg

ZF6GYUx.jpg

RsTuRi9.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

My very first ride was a tricycle as a kid. My first ride my grandparents gave me to use for college in 1983 was a dark blue ‘64 Dodge Dart with a slant 6 and push button automatic. Lasted only a couple months before a piece of the frame broke off and had to give it up. It was an awesome car to drive though. 

My first car was a 1974 Ford Mustang II. It had a 4cyl engine and automatic transmission. Bought it from my cousin after she wrecked it for $100. It had a window sticker that said “Silver Anniversary Edition “ it was silver with silver half vinyl roof and silver interior. Had it for a couple of years and ended up trading it and $150 for a 1979 Fox body Mustang coupe with a V8. Mine was similar to this one.

IMG_7893.jpeg

• Like 1

First car for me was this '77 Chevrolet Caprice. Seen here vending Model A Ford parts at a show in 1995.  The Model A pickup belonged to a friend of mine. The 305 died so I built a nice 327 for it with parts donated by a friend of my Dad's. That boat used to give the 5.0 Mustang boys fits back then..... Sold this car when I get my first '55 Ford in 1996.

20170123_184813.jpg

• Like 1

Best picture I have of the first car I bought with my own money in 1979, A Model J Pontiac Grand Prix with a 400 and positraction. I got it from a friend of a friend who happened to know that the friend had "tuned it up" and gotten all the spark plug wires crossed. Purchase price was $700. We limped it on 5 cylinders or so to a local garage that had a manual. They changed the wires around and it ran perfect. We did 110 mph on the freeway on the way home.  

grand prix1.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, redscampi said:

Best picture I have of the first car I bought with my own money in 1979, A Model J Pontiac Grand Prix with a 400 and positraction. I got it from a friend of a friend who happened to know that the friend had "tuned it up" and gotten all the spark plug wires crossed. Purchase price was $700. We limped it on 5 cylinders or so to a local garage that had a manual. They changed the wires around and it ran perfect. We did 110 mph on the freeway on the way home.  

grand prix1.jpg

Great looking car! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...