Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi everyone, new here and haven't built a model for around 30 years, since I was 10 

They were not pretty, twisting and snapping the pieces out of tree, not sanding, not painting and basically every single one I built had the clear parts covered in glue and stuffing up half the stickers 

Fast forward 30 years and I somehow came across this amazing forum, I love the encouragement everyone gives each other, the tips everyone shares and am genuinely astounded with what you can all achieve, wether it be scratch building, the painting process and extraordinary detail 

So last week I decided to quit drinking, for at least a year as through COVID I was beginning to use it daily and it had unfortunately become my main and only hobby 

Have felt fantastic this week and thought, I need a new hobby 

So I went down to the local toy shop and bought a cheap revel F-14 that came with paints, glue etc

Spent a couple of hours on it, using the tips I have picked up from here a day thoroughly enjoyed it, but could see that no matter how much I put into it, it wasn't going to be what I wanted as it had not much detail 

So yesterday I went and bought the Revell Orange McLaren 570s with paints etc 

That escalated and I have now bought heaps of brushes, different sand papers, the other paints, decal solution, spray rattle cans including clear, knife, tweesers, light with a magnifying glass, tape etc 

I honestly can't remember the last time I felt this calm concentrated 

I am just going to be learning on this one but might share some photos

I am already looking at my next model and am pricing airbrush kits 🤣😂

So thanks to all you lot, I am pretty sure I have a new hobby lol 

Looking forward to learning more and getting to know everyone 

Sorry for war and peace intro 

On 5/24/2021 at 2:18 AM, Happy Gilmour said:

Thanks Mike, appreciate it

At work and all I can think about is getting home to continue it

Well done, Steven....... Now you have got the scale model building BUG you will be surprised how quickly, and how strongly it takes over ( in a good way ).

David

Cheers guys, appreciate it 

Yeah Anglia, I worked out where the biggest hobby shop in Brisbane QLD and it turns out its 5 minutes from work 

Met Brian the owner and had a great chat for half hour, he helped me with primer 

Also bought the Taniya R32 GTR whilst there, I used to have an R33 GTR so that one will be the next one lol

On 5/25/2021 at 10:47 PM, Anglia105E said:

Well done, Steven....... Now you have got the scale model building BUG you will be surprised how quickly, and how strongly it takes over ( in a good way ).

David

David just wanted to say have been looking through some of your build threads, absolutely no words and huge inspiration, all you guys are incredible!!!

Hi Steve,

Heaps of Aussies on here plus Kiwis as well!  They let us all play in the same sandpit!  Your engine shows a skill level well beyond what I would expect from a rookie - congrats on a beautiful job so far.  

For what it is worth,  I can thoroughly recommend spray cans to get a decent paint job.  I own and have used airbrushes but they do have their challenges.  Fantastic for custom graphics and shades of paint that you cant get in a spray can but you will be pleasantly surprised with the spray can, especially in our warm weather (not sure how bad your humidity might affect things though, its a bit drier heat over here).

My favourite was always Testors but almost impossible to get in Oz now.  Next best would be Tamiya acrylic spray cans followed by Duplicolor automotive lacquers - just make sure you always put them over Duplicolor primer.

First coat sprayed from a distance - should basically look like overspray and you can still see plastic or primer through the paint.

Second coat about five-ten minutes later, a bit closer, should just cover the primer or plastic and will have a dry, orange peel look.

Third coat, ten minutes later, up close, be brave and make it fairly wet - then leave it alone for at least 24 hours, a week is better.

You should now have a smooth glossy paint job.

The one thing you must avoid at all costs with Tamiya is getting it too thick and causing it to run and bubble.  The bubbles will go down to the primer!  This requires a complete strip to repair, and the only thing I have found in Australia that will remove Tamiya acrylic is Dettol mixed 50/50 with water.  It strips it off but it is an icky sticky, not to mention smelly job!  Better two little paint than too much!

Welcome to our gang, you will love it here and let me warn you, posting becomes very addictive!

Cheers

Alan

14 hours ago, alan barton said:

Hi Steve,

Heaps of Aussies on here plus Kiwis as well!  They let us all play in the same sandpit!  Your engine shows a skill level well beyond what I would expect from a rookie - congrats on a beautiful job so far.  

For what it is worth,  I can thoroughly recommend spray cans to get a decent paint job.  I own and have used airbrushes but they do have their challenges.  Fantastic for custom graphics and shades of paint that you cant get in a spray can but you will be pleasantly surprised with the spray can, especially in our warm weather (not sure how bad your humidity might affect things though, its a bit drier heat over here).

My favourite was always Testors but almost impossible to get in Oz now.  Next best would be Tamiya acrylic spray cans followed by Duplicolor automotive lacquers - just make sure you always put them over Duplicolor primer.

First coat sprayed from a distance - should basically look like overspray and you can still see plastic or primer through the paint.

Second coat about five-ten minutes later, a bit closer, should just cover the primer or plastic and will have a dry, orange peel look.

Third coat, ten minutes later, up close, be brave and make it fairly wet - then leave it alone for at least 24 hours, a week is better.

You should now have a smooth glossy paint job.

The one thing you must avoid at all costs with Tamiya is getting it too thick and causing it to run and bubble.  The bubbles will go down to the primer!  This requires a complete strip to repair, and the only thing I have found in Australia that will remove Tamiya acrylic is Dettol mixed 50/50 with water.  It strips it off but it is an icky sticky, not to mention smelly job!  Better two little paint than too much!

Welcome to our gang, you will love it here and let me warn you, posting becomes very addictive!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks so much Alan, great advice and glad I read it as starting the body prep today, finished the engine assembly yesterday 

I actually have Tamiya paint to try and am going to try on the cheap little small F14 I bought which then started all this lol 

So will definitely take that on board, still as green as you can get with all this, but it has seriously been all I can think about lol 

Thanks again 

Pics are where an currently up too, think I might start a WIP to get some criticism, as I know I know Jack and am here to learn 

20210529_213622.jpg

20210529_213711.jpg

20210529_213615.jpg

11 hours ago, oldscool said:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on being sober. I also quit drinking three years ago when it started making me feel worse instead of better. FWIW Tamiya laquer can be stripped with 91% Isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks mate, appreciate that

Good to know, will have to grab some today as I know there will be stripping in my near future lol

Yeah the stopping drinking has gave me so much clarity and energy