Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Camaro

MarkJ

39 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

You're absolutely right, Scott. The sides of the grille opening need to be extended as well as the bottom does. Have to get it more correct before I start scratch building the grille. 

I wanted to make sure the lower valance was going to work and I will probably make a front bumper first too, before I fine tune the upper header panel.

I have a pair of mpc 79/80 camaros in my parts box if you need any parts.

Got some more work done on the front. Will need to add more putty and shape those side grille opening uprights. The bumper will need a rubber strip added to the top (but it will be plastic of course). I will also need to scratch a front cattle guard spoiler that attaches right below the top half of the bumper. It really dominates the front of the car. 

74camwipsbufrbu1.jpg

74camwipsbufrbu2.jpg

74camwipsbufrbu3.jpg

74camwipsbufrbu4.jpg

74camwipsbufrbu5.jpg

74camwipsbufrbu6.jpg

74camwipsbufrbu7.jpg

16 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Wow Mark, your nailing  it my friend!!!

Thanks, Mike. The spoiler was tough because you really need 3 hands.  you hold 2  pieces and an extra hand to hit it with the glue. I'll show some pics of it later today.

What I mean't above is that the glue dries so fast that you don't have time to put glue on one surface and then bring the other surface together . you need to hold bothe pieces together and hit it with the glue brush and holdf for 20 seconds till it sets. Anyhoo, below is some more fine tuning on the front and the spoiler before adding some putty to it .

74camwipsfrsppr1.jpg

74camwipsfrsppr2.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, slusher said:

What glue are you referring too,Mark?

Carl, I was watching a guys video that posts on twitter and he was putting a nascar seat together with a  lot of scratchbuilt stuff, and he was using a bottle of glue with a brush that seemed to dry instantly  and hard enough for him to sand the 2 pieces he had just glued together. I tweeted him and asked what glue he used and he said the orange label plastruck plastic welder. I tryed to get some but could not find a source so I got this glue  from micro mark caled "the same stuff" and it works just like the plastruck. I guess they are chemically the same. I had been using good old testors tube glue but that stuff takes forever to cure. 

11 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Carl, I was watching a guys video that posts on twitter and he was putting a nascar seat together with a  lot of scratchbuilt stuff, and he was using a bottle of glue with a brush that seemed to dry instantly  and hard enough for him to sand the 2 pieces he had just glued together. I tweeted him and asked what glue he used and he said the orange label plastruck plastic welder. I tryed to get some but could not find a source so I got this glue  from micro mark caled "the same stuff" and it works just like the plastruck. I guess they are chemically the same. I had been using good old testors tube glue but that stuff takes forever to cure. 

Hobby lobby did carry it. I will look when I go Friday.

11 hours ago, slusher said:

Hobby lobby did carry it. I will look when I go Friday.

Yes, they did.  But not mine anymore. Hobby Lobby keeps cutting back on they're supplies. They had a liquid testors glue, with a brush,  that I purchased, but it cures very slowly, and not a real tight bond. They dont even sell Vallejo primer. I have switched to Vallejo paint for my new brush painting journey, and not to have primer is ridiculous. I had to order it from Micro Mark.

17 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Man , that is some great work ! Those bumper mounts resemble the actual bumper "rams" of the 5-MPH Bumpers of 1974 & later !

Thanks, John. the 74 Camaro did not use what you are referring to. They were  spring steel brackets that could bend and rebound. they did have a rod and tube deal that kept the bumper in place from side to side. If you google the front bumper schematics you will see what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Thanks, John. the 74 Camaro did not use what you are referring to. They were  spring steel brackets that could bend and rebound. they did have a rod and tube deal that kept the bumper in place from side to side. If you google the front bumper schematics you will see what I'm talking about.

And those brackets were HEAVY! I remember those aluminum bumpers weighed over 100 pounds with all that stuff on them.