Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rick Hunter's Dodge Monaco

mrmike

My new project is the Dodge Monaco driven by Rick Hunter, an LAPD Detective Sergeant.  Hunter was broadcast on NBC TV Network and starred Fred Dwyer and ran for 7 seasons with several reunion movies.  I am using the Yodel American Police San Diego County Plymouth Fury that I can easily swap over to a Dodge Monaco.  The body is already molded in green plastic, but the model will be painted with Tamiya TS-43 Racing Green with Tamiya TS-65 Pearl Clear and Tamiya AS-15 Tan interior.  The Monaco is listed as a 1977-1978 model and I believe that there are very, very few differences between the two years and this is also the pinnacle of badge engineering.

Hunter will return...

Hunter01.JPG

Hunter02.JPG

Hunter03.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks Bill and Jerry!  There has been many versions of the Monaco from the Hunter TV series and I choose the hero car from the fifth season for my build.  This was the neatest looking and cleanest car that Hunter had driven.  

Thanks Joe and Bob! 

Joe, the "motorized" system is an electrical motor and battery driving a gear mounted to an axle.  A design that is definitely showing its age when you consider the new systems consists of servos and power packs.

The chassis is a battery powered self propelled unit and I will not be using that feature.  I opted to fill in all the holes for switches and electrical componants with sheet styrene and fill the short rear axle with styrene tube.  

Hunter will return...

Hunter04.JPG

Hunter05.JPG

Hunter06.JPG

• Like 1

I got the wheels and tires assembled, but I'll have to trim the rear wire axle since it is too long.  I made a backer for the front bench seat and I detailed a lot of the chrome with a black wash by Tamiya and the parking lights where detailed by using an orange Sharpie.

Hunter will return...

Hunter07.JPG

Hunter08.JPG

Hunter09.JPG

• Like 1

Great start.  Definitely following this one.  

Dont' think I've ever seen a body molded in that green.  And the box art!!  Wonder if the Japanese at the time thought that was a typical day for the San Diego County Sheriffs. 

Thanks Joe!  I find that Yodel was a different sort of model manufacturer.  Probably more interested in battery powered models than anything else.  Accuracy wasn't a big thing for them and the size...probably closer to 1/22 scale than 1/24 as it says on the box.  This thing is huge!    

Either I screwed up or the instructions are wrong.  I had the wrong wheels in the wrong places on this build and I don't remember if I ran into this issue with the Plymouth Fury that I built a couple of years ago.  I put the wrong wheels on the front spindles which put the wrong wheels on the rear axle plus I needed to add a spacer to the rear axle for proper spacing.  This entire operation took me about 1 1/4 hours to assemble, take apart and re-assemble this mess.  Along the way, I broke the tie rod which I fixed with a piece of styrene that was on the bench. 

Hunter will return...

Hunter10.JPG

Hunter11.JPG

Hunter12.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We loved that show too, Mike! Just a few years after Dee Dee had that '84 Daytona Turbo Z (it had 4 lug wheels, Dodge went to 5 lugs from '85 on) I had an '85 almost identical to hers, LOL! (it was around 1990, my 2nd car while I was in high school)

Hunter was on HULU a couple years ago for a while, we got through about 5 seasons after we found it before it was taken off. It's looking great so far, my friend :D 

Edited by Olskoolrodder

• 1 month later...

I have painted my '77 Monaco with Tamiya TS-43 Racing Green.  Another coat or two should darken the color some more.  I also painted the interior bucket with Tamiya AS-15 Tan.  Now to detail the dash and interior and paint up the radio.

Hunter will return...

Hunter16.JPG

Hunter17.JPG

Huntere18.JPG

Edited by mrmike
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...