Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Chevrolet 150 Black Widow

I recently purchased the Revell 1957 Chevrolet Black Widow kit:

s341442966695532211_p2739_i4_w1600.jpeg

And I noticed that it has some sort of cable to hold the hood down on the front of the car on the box art.  Here is a shot of the real car:

1957-Chevrolet-Black-Widow-11-1600x1067.

Is that some sort of wire?  It's shown on the box, but I don't see anything in the box for it.

40 minutes ago, Jim B said:

That could work.  I'll have to fab up the eyebolts on the bumper.  Not totally sure how it all connects.

One thought on connections. You could make a hoke out of some very fine wire for the center of the Hood. You could do the same and drill and anger them thru the Bumper or even run the thread or floss thru the Bumper and knot it on the back side. The  Hood would need to be held in place on the back side by either the Hood Hinges or some other mounting so when the front bungee is in place the Hood doesn't flip up but can still be removed for display. 

Are you aware of the stress that will be placed on the anchor points if you use elastic string? Those anchor points will have to be relatively small. Then, as was previously pointed out, you'll need to secure the rear edge of the hood to prevent it popping up. Use appropriately sized and painted detailing/ignition wire.

I have gotten some really fine hooks at JoAnns in the past. They are in their jewelry dept.  They also make good hooks and chains for the tail gates on old pickup models. They are stiff and not easily bent, and they have a lot of tools designed for working with jewelry . 

On 10/18/2021 at 2:56 PM, Jim B said:

I recently purchased the Revell 1957 Chevrolet Black Widow kit:

s341442966695532211_p2739_i4_w1600.jpeg

And I noticed that it has some sort of cable to hold the hood down on the front of the car on the box art.  Here is a shot of the real car:

1957-Chevrolet-Black-Widow-11-1600x1067.

Is that some sort of wire?  It's shown on the box, but I don't see anything in the box for it.

The bottom picture looks like a nicely built model.... Check out the mold flash on the rear wheel well....

Since the 47 and 87 are real race cars in NASCAR I suggest you google images.  Bunge cord was not introduced until sometime in the 1970's, it's my belief that another media was used.  More than likely rope was more readily available.  Than is such a great kit, I've built several and found no problems.  craig cochran

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 11:35 AM, Jim B said:

Oh, that could work.  Might work on 1/700 ships, too, but it might be too big.

This is the "fine" in black to give you an idea of the actual size. The "heavy" is much thicker. 

I think it would be fine for a 1/700 scale ship.

IMG 2755