Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

29 Ford Roadster

bluestringer

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

Nice.  That's a good kit James.  Just finished mine a couple weeks ago and It's still fresh on my mind.  

I followed your build, you did a great job, it came out really nice. I've got the same problem with a warped windshield frame that you had. I contacted Revell over 3 weeks ago but have not heard anything from them. Not sure what I'm going to do with it when I get to that point. I'll figure something out. 

1 hour ago, bluestringer said:

I followed your build, you did a great job, it came out really nice. I've got the same problem with a warped windshield frame that you had. I contacted Revell over 3 weeks ago but have not heard anything from them. Not sure what I'm going to do with it when I get to that point. I'll figure something out. 

After Revell sent me the two warped replacements I ask for two more.  Haven't seen them yet.

I had some Folkart Metallic Antique Copper craft paint, so I went with it. I noticed after priming I had what looked liked bullseye rings on both sides of the body just behind the door. I wet sanded and shot another coat of primer but couldn't get rid of it. You can still just barely see it even after the top coat in the pictures. It's not very noticeable inside though.

_IGP0078.jpg

_IGP0080.jpg

2 hours ago, bluestringer said:

I had some Folkart Metallic Antique Copper craft paint, so I went with it. I noticed after priming I had what looked liked bullseye rings on both sides of the body just behind the door. I wet sanded and shot another coat of primer but couldn't get rid of it. You can still just barely see it even after the top coat in the pictures. It's not very noticeable inside though.

_IGP0078.jpg

_IGP0080.jpg

Good looking color.  I had those dots on my body.  I had sand it a couple time to get them out.

10 hours ago, slusher said:

Very sharp color..

Thanks.

7 hours ago, gman said:

I agree- good looking colour, should pop under some clear. The bulls eyes on the body are from the mold, and are present on all the examples I have here. Some sanding before primer/paint makes them disappear.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, CabDriver said:

You’ll probably be able to fix those flaws with a little light sanding with something high-grit then lay another coat over top.  I did the exact same thing on the first one I built

Thanks. Since it will only be displayed inside, I'll probably just leave it as is. 

20 hours ago, Zippi said:

Looking nice James.  I was going to go with the blower and some big ol meats in the back but opted out.  I got another one so maybe next time.

Thanks Bob. I messed up my paint job on the body. I put on some clear, pledge floor polish, and then tried wet sanding so I could polish it a little. Paint starting peeling off all the way to the primer, I tried sanding it down and spraying another coat but I can't get it to blend where the paint stopped peeling. Guess I will have to take all the paint off and start over. What's the best way to remove all the craft paint? 

Thanks Bob. I messed up my paint job on the body. I put on some clear, pledge floor polish, and then tried wet sanding so I could polish it a little. Paint starting peeling off all the way to the primer, I tried sanding it down and spraying another coat but I can't get it to blend where the paint stopped peeling. Guess I will have to take all the paint off and start over. What's the best way to remove all the craft paint? 

Super clean.  The purple stuff

Thanks guys. Since the paint came off so easy I just kept sanding and got most of it off or blended as best I could. Then I shot about 3 light coats of color, let it dry and shot 2 heavy wet coats, probably too heavy, but I guess it looks ok, so I'll just go with it. Also got the engine done. I had wired it before I tried the headers and realized the wires were in the way of the header flange. I snipped out some of the flange to get a good fit and will mount the headers later after I get the pan and exhaust pipes done. Also noticed there was no coil in the parts. I found one in some spare parts and think I will mount it to the firewall.

_IGP0109.jpg

_IGP0115.jpg

Edited by bluestringer
  • Like 1

I've done that.  Now I hold the exhaust flange in place and mark with a Sharpie where I need to drill.  Yeah....that's looking Bitchin James.  I like the color and the engine looks bad ass.

Edited by Zippi

On 10/30/2021 at 5:55 PM, Zippi said:

I've done that.  Now I hold the exhaust flange in place and mark with a Sharpie where I need to drill.  Yeah....that's looking Bitchin James.  I like the color and the engine looks bad ass.

Thanks. My air compressor is down and I will need to get it fixed or get a new one before I can proceed as I need to do some more paint work before gluing stuff together. So I'm on hold for right now. 

On 10/30/2021 at 7:37 PM, FLHCAHZ said:

Looks great!

Thank you.

Thanks. My air compressor is down and I will need to get it fixed or get a new one before I can proceed as I need to do some more paint work before gluing stuff together. So I'm on hold for right now. 

Yup....I get it man.  Harbor Freight has some nice one at a good price.  Just in the preliminary stages but been playing around with a 29 body trying to come up with a wild drag car. 

20211101_085040.jpg