Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Ferrari 312PB

Webb

This was built from a Scale Racing Cars white metal kit. The kit is so old that the decals were useless so I got another set from Tameo. The green on the Tameo decals was way too dark so I ended up brush painting the green with Humbrol enamel. The fit of the body panels is horrible so you're only seeing it assembled from one side! Built right out of the box except for the safety harnesses and I also added a couple of pieces of photoetch sprue for the mirrors.

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 10:26 PM, Webb said:

Yep, it's an enlarged fuel cell. This car raced the Targa Florio in 1970. And thanks everyone for the kind words!

Sorry to correct you, Chris - this is the winner of the 1972 Targa Florio, driven by Arturo Merzario and rally ace Sandro Munari - the car had 2 (!) rearview mirrors - one on top of the other for the tiny Merzario and the ltall Munari and a right side bulge to accomodate a spare wheel which was necessary in case of tire damage because a lap was 72 km long (= about 45 miles) - so the driver could mount the spare if necessary.

In 1970, Ferrari participated with a 512 S and took 3rd place with Ignazio Giunti/Nino Vaccarella behind two Porsches.

Nice little model of a certainly not so easy-to-build kit !

Thanks for the correction Helmut. I must have been having a "senior moment" on the year. I also have the 1970 winning Porsche model, so you would think I would remember that. Oh well. And thanks for the clarification on the side bulge. Someone told me it was for extra fuel, and I never looked into it any further.