Model Cars Magazine Forum

1990 Mustang LX 5.0 convertible

Smoke Wagon

As my AMT Model T is nearing completion, I figured I’d get a head start on my next project. I got the itch to challenge myself a bit and turn a coupe/hardtop kit into a convertible. As my eyes darted sporadically up and down my shelf of kits, I spied my next victim... er... candidate, near the bottom. Given the slight proportion problems with this kits’ roof from the get go, no tears were shed when I picked up my Dremel (and perhaps let out a maniacal laugh as lightning flashed through the window). The high pitched whirl of the Dremel’s cut-off wheel drowned out the Ratt song I had playing in the background. 

A mock up of what I’ve got so far:8822A06F-CD45-41F8-A554-FEF5A4624FDA.thumb.jpeg.7d3b5ca3a84ece0b660002dfaa43673c.jpegA7069D56-C126-4BED-BA17-AC1EAD937BEF.thumb.jpeg.3c0213b7393b88a5c5c0d29595aa4aac.jpeg

I still have quite a ways to go on body and interior work, and will have to source a convertible boot, but I’m digging it so far. 

• Like 1

Yup, that’s the company! I always find it interesting when major automakers outsource special edition/conversion vehicles to third party outfitters. The Motortown Corporation worked with Ford previously to produce the Mustang Cobra II and with Pontiac to produce the Can Am (a warmed over ‘77 LeMans). Buick sent Regals to ASC McLaren to produce the GNX. ASC McLaren did some Mercury Capri convertibles as well: BAD96DC6-303D-4DEC-9E56-2994085D0A05.jpeg.68d3c50a2a447fa3a841f3e9056505e1.jpeg

7F86EC2B-DFE1-4C0F-8F95-F69DA301ABC3.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Zen said:

Maybe try a boot from the Monogram GT vert kit?

Wouldn’t be a bad way to go, it would probably section to size just fine. The real fun(tedious) part will be making a luggage rack if I decide to go the extra mile with this one.

6 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I did like some of the 5.0 Capri cars.

I like the bubble rear windows in those. Sure, it shares a name with a juice pouch and some weird women’s’ wear, but it’s still a fox. Better than some other bygone Mercs *cough, cough, Bobcat, cough*. It would’ve been interesting to see an updated ‘87-‘93 fox Capri.