Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've been piddling around with this little truck for a bit. A while back, I ended up with the 3.0 DOHC V-6 from a 1990 Taurus SHO. Not wanting to let the little engine go to waste, I decided to stick it into this Ranger. I first mated the engine to the 5 speed from the Ranger. Stuck it in and saw right away that I was going to have to do some hacking. I first moved the firewall back as far as possible. I cut out the radiator and replaced it with the one from the Taurus mounting it as far forward as possible. The oil pan had to be notched. The rear intake crossover pipe had to be shortened. After all of that, it slides right in!

20211202_152006.jpg.ab727de0b71e401f3366f725e7fccf22.jpg

My first thought was to make it a sleeper using the stock steel wheels and downgrading it to an XL. But, it just looked too plain. Then I temp glued the ground effects on it. That was too much. Now, I'm thinking I'll just make it a nice looking little truck with a bit more punch under the hood.

20211202_151940-1.jpg.dcec1b0bd4ce99a06b66938ec7c457a6.jpg

The wheels are from an AMT '93 F-150. Don't know if I'll keep them as they're a directional wheel and the spokes are all the same direction on all four wheels. There should be a pair of lefts and a pair of rights. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Great idea! That really was thing, the 1989 SHO Ranger...

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/ranger-sho.187751/

I like the next gen version like yours better, though!

Thanx Bob! I never knew of that little truck! It makes me rethink the ground effects. That's a great idea!

7 hours ago, espo said:

In the picture it looks as if there may be enough room between the front of the engine and the radiator to move the engine forward a little for firewall clearance. 

There is. But, I need the room for the air intake. Plus, I would have to move the trans cross member forward, notch the oil pan more and lengthen the driveshaft. As is, I have the room I need between the engine and firwall.

So...I don't guess I am understanding how you are mounting the trans to the engine.  If the trans is cut loose from the engine, the new engine should be just as far forward as the one that just came out.  I get the Taurus intake is bigger.  I guess I'll have to build a Ranger SHO to find out.

Keep the good work coming!!

1 hour ago, rsxse240 said:

So...I don't guess I am understanding how you are mounting the trans to the engine.  If the trans is cut loose from the engine, the new engine should be just as far forward as the one that just came out.  I get the Taurus intake is bigger.  I guess I'll have to build a Ranger SHO to find out.

Keep the good work coming!!

The engine isn't the fitment problem. It's the intake crossover pipe at the rear that was the problem. I only moved the firewall back the thickness of the styrene. I had to do some clearance work on the interior tub to get it to fit. The transmission is in it's original position. 

Thanx to the link Bob posted above, I've come up with a plan for the Ranger. I'm going to build it as a concept truck. First thing I did was add the ground effects. For the wheels and tires, I grabbed this set from the Revell '99 Lightning that I had painted for a different project. I may or may not change the color. I'm kinda thinking about murdering it out. I've never done a model that way. Always wanted to. I think will be the one to do it with.

20211209_150726-1.jpg.330fde7438dec9b0cf1d8471f842bd4a.jpg

20211209_150759-1.jpg.a47341b9f3d3c14386cc135332ca67a2.jpg

I'm not sure about the grille. I don't much care for the lights in it. I may use the stock grille or cut the lights and bar from the custom grille and replace the bar.

• Like 1