Model Cars Magazine Forum

Newish to the hobby

I loved building models as a kid, but here I am again in my 30s playing with them again. I work as a sheet metal fabricator and shop foreman for a high-end antique car restoration shop. But I don’t get to keep all the cars for myself. I joined in hopes of finding some harder to find parts that I have had no luck finding or don’t have the energy to scratch build. 

i just completed my first model in 20+ years. The Revell 2-1 1929 Ford Model A. I did a bit of kit bashing, added some after market parts. Experimented with some newer products the hobby how has to offer vs 20+ years ago.

Has a early Hemi from a Moebius 1955 Chrysler 300 kit, some parts from a Lindburg 1964 Dodge 330 kit, some photo etch, home made stuff, stretched the frame 5”, used the front frame horns from the highboy option and PPG paint.

Currently working on my second project, a MPC Ramchargers FE AA/FD. Scratch built front axle, a lot of resin parts. 

B6149E15-3319-4F85-B0EF-4A9F391D571E.jpeg

DBBAEE44-3D14-485C-88EC-40F997E35C32.jpeg

Edited by GlueSniffer

11 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Welcome back and your ride is amazing.  You will find a lot of talented and enthusiastic builders here and they are always willing to offer advice and tips on where the find unusual parts.

Thank you! I’m looking forward to anything I may learn here or even offer any help with my knowledge of paint or just general car questions. Ideally I would like to give as much as I take!

Wow, I would love to see some more about both of the models in the pictures.  The blueing on the header of the model A is as authentic as it gets.  And the number of fuel rails going to the carbs on the dragster is astounding.  That real world experience definitely shows in your builds.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BoxedWino said:

Wow, I would love to see some more about both of the models in the pictures.  The blueing on the header of the model A is as authentic as it gets.  And the number of fuel rails going to the carbs on the dragster is astounding.  That real world experience definitely shows in your builds.  

That bluing is exactly what I meant by the hobby has all sorts of stuff that I didn’t know about or didn’t exist 20 years ago! Sure I could have done that with Duplicolor or Dykem layout fluid, but the Alclad hot metal colors worked awesome as does the Molotow chrome paint! Thank you so much for the kind words! 

As for the dragster, the Enderle fuel injection was all scratch built. 8 injector pipes, 1 main feed to the manifold block. Scratch built the flow valve off the bug catcher too. I just painted the car this afternoon, so it’s going back together right now. has a Speed City Resin 392, GMC 6-71, scratch built axle and steering links. It’s for a Christmas contest at work so it got painted red, white, and green. I stuck a Santa head from Iceman Collections on a driver body haha. Still have some parts to glue on, make and some dust to wet sand and polish out of the paint.

97E4D1EC-2EEE-442B-8639-B2ADA52EB5F4.jpeg

CCAA8784-3853-4E8C-B8C4-0AA96F7C6786.jpeg

55BA8DB6-6E62-49E0-8AD0-2C82672872D5.jpeg

81E96037-83DB-41A6-B8BC-72F5C338CC7B.jpeg