Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another source for wood bed material

Rick L

55 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

You can see some of my builds in the 'Let's see some scratch built things' thread. The steering wheel outer rim on my Napier Railton was made from an old brass curtain ring!

I am all for re-using materials on scale models, so no issue there. What it boils down to, for me at least is this: Is the method/tool/material recommended/suggested an upgrade over what is supplied in the kit or another option? In this case, I think the caning from the bottle could be used for something and end up working, just not as a truck bed floor planking.

While cost is always a factor, I unfortunately read of many suggestions here to use free or very low-cost items (say oval beads for hex -AN style fittings) which, IMHO, are not an upgrade, and sometimes, are worse than the starting point.

32 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Nothing wrong with re-purposing items that would normally fill the dump.

Absolutely. I have a bin full of oddball materials and items which I may one day use, but only if it makes the particular model part I'm using it to replicate better than what was supplied in the kit.

The OP was merely drawing attention to the stuff and stating that it might be worth a try. He was not offering up a tutorial. If someone believes it’s not up to their standards, then they don’t need to pursue it. JMO.

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2022 at 9:45 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Wooden coffee stirrers could be another source of flat bed material. Consistent thickness and width generally, can be stained, varnished or distressed depending on the model being built.

I am a fan of those too. I used them for window trim in my diorama.

• Like 1

Sometimes kit items are better replaced with other materials. An example of this is the bonnet (hood) panels on my Bugatti Type 59 model were made with aluminium litho plate that was a correct scale thickness and enabled me to punch form louvres that looked right. Thin Aluminium or Brass sheet from the K&S metals range would be an alternative for this type of work too.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Forget the booze!  I have found good wood in left-over pieces of 'Venetian' blinds, stained-wood samples (from paint stores), and even an old Asian beach umbrella (bamboo; very interesting texture).  Balsa bits can be sourced from old (failed) model airplane kits.  A great source is simply paint stir-stick, come in several sizes, in both clrear tropical woods and bamboo.  [Boy, does that last word LOOK funny, huh?]

I use an abrasive blade (for metal or plastics) on my table saw to rip the blind slats; great for fence palings, planks, etc.  Wood for models and dioramas is where you find it!

On 1/4/2022 at 10:45 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Wooden coffee stirrers could be another source of flat bed material. Consistent thickness and width generally, can be stained, varnished or distressed depending on the model being built.

I have used these with excellent results.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh...okay, I feel compelled to add my 2 cents. First, the Chianti got my interest. Then the Thunderbird thing had me smiling. And then Can-Con Steve hits us with liver and Fava beans and I was on the floor 🤣😆😂. I can't believe this thread churned up so much emotion (other than my laughter, of course.) It got a little tense, boys. 🥴. What's wrong with using "found" items and materials if it makes you happy to do so? (This is a rhetorical question and does not require an answer.) 🙂.

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...