Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for styrene sheet... is this it?

Hello all, new here and looking for some help with purchasing styrene for modeling.  The only thing I can find in my area is this from Home Depot....https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-16-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Plastic-Panel-63003/202090190 Is this considered styrene?  It popped up when I searched for styrene but it says that it's material is FRP.  I know I can go buy yard sale signs but wouldn't mind buying a large sheet like this.  Thanks!

Hello Jason. No, that stuff is “fibre reinforced plastic” not styrene. What you want is either “Evergreen” or “Plastruct” styrene sheet. Both suppliers also have all sorts of rod, tube, rectangular and other shapes that are great for scratch building model components. You may be able to find industrial suppliers of sheet styrene, but these two will have everything you need and are available through amazon or e-bay if you have no local hobby shop that stocks it.

https://evergreenscalemodels.com/

https://www.plastruct.com/

If you can find a local sign supply , they sell 4' x 8' sheets of styrene , mine are .020 , I think , maybe .040 . It's been so long since I bought them , a life time supply of 4 sheets , I don't remember . 😎 Old age catching up with me . They should also carry the Weld-On 4 glue for styrene .

Edited by oldnslow

Thanks for the replies.  That's a bummer that I cant find big sheets locally and would cost a fortune just to ship it to me.  I have ordered some of the other shapes online.  The best I can find online are (4) 48x24 .060 pieces from amazon for $52, which isn't too bad especially with the free shipping.

Don't overlook eBay for styrene sheets and shapes.  There are a lot of sellers offering that stuff.  I bought some .020" sheet for vacuum forming after the local place closed.  I have since found out that they were bought out, the local place is further away but still within reach for me.

There are probably sign shops in Hawaii.  Find one and ask if they could sell you a sheet of polystyrene. Maybe there is even a plastics distributor, which would have a wider range of choices.  But as I hear, if you live in paradise, you end up paying for it.

I've gotten leftover retail display signs from my work when they throw them away. It's either PVC or styrene plastic. Pretty sure the white sheets I get are polystyrene and the black stiff sheets are PVC, because when I cut it, it seems softer on the inside than the outside. I use super glue to bond them and the black PVC joint is very strong with super glue.

Both work great for model building, the signs come in different thicknesses and best of all they're free!

13 hours ago, jskd82 said:

Hello all, new here and looking for some help with purchasing styrene for modeling.  The only thing I can find in my area is this from Home Depot....https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-16-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Plastic-Panel-63003/202090190 Is this considered styrene?  It popped up when I searched for styrene but it says that it's material is FRP.  I know I can go buy yard sale signs but wouldn't mind buying a large sheet like this.  Thanks!

Do you need a 4'x8' sheet? That's huge, and unless you scratch build everything out of sheet stock, would last you decades.

Why not just order Evergreen styrene sheets in the thicknesses you desire?: https://www.megahobby.com/shop?search_query=evergreen+styrene+sheet

I'm on the Big Island.  I plan on building a bunch of diorama buildings so I will be using quite a bit of it and ordering those smaller sheets will get expensive.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll go check my Ace Hardware to see what kind of signs they have.

2 hours ago, jskd82 said:

I'm on the Big Island.  I plan on building a bunch of diorama buildings so I will be using quite a bit of it and ordering those smaller sheets will get expensive.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll go check my Ace Hardware to see what kind of signs they have.

I see.

Not sure if this still applies or not, but ten years ago I lived near a U.S. Cellular store, and every so often (two months or so?) they changed out their window signage when the newest mobile phone debuted-- Kyocera flip phone out, iPhone 3 in, etc. The signs were 4'x4' (or larger) and made of styrene (or very similar) plastic, so it might be worth a drive by and/or a stop and ask if there is a store local to you. They are useless to the store after a certain time period, and they went right into the dumpster, so maybe you can get some larger sheets on the cheap, and not have to pay shipping, too.

*edit* Still have this one, .060" thick, 3.5' x 4.5' or so?:

1702469380_PXL_20220201_0154334072.thumb.jpg.cab8d3d0f382a819e17dfc983c072402.jpg

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, jskd82 said:

For diorama buildings I guess you don’t necessarily need styrene. Any paintable material that can be glued in a suitable thickness should work.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I see.

Not sure if this still applies or not, but ten years ago I lived near a U.S. Cellular store, and every so often (two months or so?) they changed out their window signage when the newest mobile phone debuted-- Kyocera flip phone out, iPhone 3 in, etc. The signs were 4'x4' (or larger) and made of styrene (or very similar) plastic, so it might be worth a drive by and/or a stop and ask if there is a store local to you. They are useless to the store after a certain time period, and they went right into the dumpster, so maybe you can get some larger sheets on the cheap, and not have to pay shipping, too.

*edit* Still have this one, .060" thick, 3.5' x 4.5' or so?:

1702469380_PXL_20220201_0154334072.thumb.jpg.cab8d3d0f382a819e17dfc983c072402.jpg

Wow what a score! thanks for the suggestion.  

Has anyone ever tried FRP?  I came across a couple threads where people were saying they used shower stall liner.... not sure if shower stall liner is made from styrene but it got me curious if it was FRP and they thought it was styrene cause it looks similar?

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

For diorama buildings I guess you don’t necessarily need styrene. Any paintable material that can be glued in a suitable thickness should work.

Yeah I've been using thin plywood but styrene is a lot easier and less messier to work with lol.

For 1/25 scale buildings or building fronts, could you use project board?  (Thin glossy cardstock on one side, slightly dull on the other side, and foam board in between.)  I use it to beef up the cardboard display bases in Round 2 reissue kits, and have used it under color copies of displays not reissued.  I've wanted to create a display of my own design, but haven't figured one out yet.  The stuff cuts with an X-Acto knife (long straight cuts made with a sharp box cutter and steel ruler), glues together with white glue or rubber cement.